View Single Post
Old Feb 18, 2019, 09:16 PM

>>if it can be proven that they are knowingly allowing illegal materials to be sold,
>>whether it is music or contraband, they are in trouble...

If a law in a certain juridiction was set to force the platform liable, then your assamption is correct. But as I wrote, the main violation comes not from the platform but from the record producer (the cover artist).

If the platform was sued for the damage, then I think the platform will sue the record producer next to cover the damage.

The main difficulty of vgm licensing comes from the fact the many video game company treat their music like a patent, and not like normal "music." And they are perfectly fine to do so (to a certain degree as the law permits).
However considering the nature of music or "performing arts" in general, I do feel more easier licensing would be preferable for mechanical, internet broadcast and live performance.

Unfotunately, I don't think the improvement comes soon as the major international treaties have been set and created the current situation.

As far as the licensing goes, Japanese video game companies usually only work with companies. If you approach it as an indivisual, it is almost impossible to get an license.
It is just easy for them to deny than to work something out.

Last edited by Kentaro Sato; Feb 19, 2019 at 12:56 AM.