View Single Post
Old Feb 19, 2019, 03:37 AM

Thank you so much for the replies, this has been super informative! I really appreciate the insight from these detailed answers. However, it seems that this is just something that is almost impossible for a sole individual willing to create these kinds of arrangements.

In theory, licensing the music through easysonglicensing.com seems the most accessible route, but 1) not all songs are available (such as my Lufia II example, being a record that was never officially released) and 2) it still seems a little muddy, and international distribution may carry more complications than first thought.

There are so many arrangement albums that I listen to through Spotify, as the originals are very rarely found there (way to go Capcom for dropping so many OST's this past week!), so I figured doing something myself, a collection of SNES RPG/synth style arrangement themes would be in the realm of possibility. I guess most just do it without asking the right questions or without caring for the correct procedures, or the legal implications.

Does this then still apply to covers/arrangements you release for free? I presume it still would cause a problem as you are giving away music that you essentially don't own. If it didn't apply to this, I would just drop my music somewhere for free and as long as people were listening and enjoying, that would be all that would really matter to me.

I hope there's a platform that makes it easier and much clearer in the future, but alas, I fear this may never occur.

mmMike