View Single Post
Old Feb 13, 2012, 03:24 AM

Some of the points you rise have already been addressed in my previous post: having the current situation tolerated by those who hold the power doesn't automatically make it right. I must blame myself, i chose the wrong words...

*Inserts coin and tries again*

*JINGLE JINGLE JINGLE*

When i joined this site, it sure gave me one hell of a laugh, so to speak: picture the average guy coming here, reading about how this site doesn't support piracy, and subsequently discover that parts of albums are being stored on its database... i remember thinking "I guess piracy is good as long as it is for the higher / noble sake of information, but then again... how far should that go? After all i'm a personal believer that even actually listen to an album, and not those crappy previews, can be considered a source of information, to a certain extent: one wants to know if the thing's worth a purchase... And what better judge than oneself? Screw reviewers."

It's a matter of perceived image/professionality; i'm all for spreading of information/knowledge, but having actual->partial copies of albums scattered around for everyone still seems wrong to me, as in 30-40% wrong: i understand the current system might actually help by having those who understand what's written on booklets and the likes hop in and give it a try... but can you still let it fall under the fair-use policy? It goes without saying that VGMdb can be used as a image-dump site for all those rippers & folks who like to have complete digital copies of albums, or even share them, again, such stuff is not here for that purpose to begin with, but there's no point in denying how it can be used.

Regarding the possible shutdown of the site, well... yeah... I suppose they should file takedown notices, if they want, but given the laws they were trying to introduce (SOPA, PIPA and ACTA)... One's got reasons to worry.

EDIT:
I too wouldn't want to delete scans, since i'm a small contributor myself, but their deletion might be possibile. What i wanted was: have them private, the submitter and the staff/trusted folks get to see them... they get information they want in the notes, and ...Whatever [Squall L.] - I acknowledge this solution isn't entirely right, either, but from my point of view it's a bit safer... since they would no longer be available to everyone. It has its drawbacks, as every system.
last.fm | Discord: Dark Slayer#8440

Last edited by ilef; Feb 13, 2012 at 03:50 AM. Reason: Small fixes