View Single Post
Old Jan 22, 2014, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiLO View Post
Pretty much agreed with reviewer. DOD3 ost doesn't quite make an impact as NieR did, though it has some excellent compositions throughout. And yes it's different, yet some pieces are reminiscent of NieR. And there are little bonuses like DLC NieR rearranged tracks DOD Chips Music CD, so it's not like they completely leave us out in the cold ^_^
Also, it's interesting that this was brought up, because this was *exactly* what both Yoko Taro & Okabe Keiichi discussed in their brief and rather round about commentary on the Soundtrack page:

From drakengard-3.com:
Quote:
Well, please introduce yourselves.

Okabe (O): Hello. I’m Okabe Keiichi, acting as musical director for DOD3.
Yoko (Y): I’m Yoko Taro. I worked as the creative director.
O: You know, we just kinda came here without anyone calling us in……

Yes, actually……

Y: Ah, would you like us to make a comment for the sountrack?
O: Why the formal language? haha
Y: There’s a time for everything……right?
O: No. Not at all.

Um……

Y: So, how’s the soundtrack?
O: What do you mean, how?
Y: No, how about, “We really made an awesome product with this one, so be sure to buy it” or something like that?
O: I can’t say that!
Y: Huh? Why not?
O: Because, you kept telling me, “Make it sound different from Nier, different from Nier” so much, like a curse, that I ended up making something with a completely different pattern…

Uhhh…….

Y: But it’s not interesting to only do the same thing, right?
O: Yeah but, to have written this many different sounding songs…
Y: Like the boss themes?
O: Yes, yes. I made them as I was told but I kept wondering “Is this okay?” until the very end.
Y: Hey, that’s it. Like a challenging, avant-garde style? That’s what it feels like.
O: I have no clue.

Avant-garde……?

Y: Like an overindulging feeling, perhaps?
O: C’mon, this has nothing to do with music. What is that, “overindulging feeling”?
Y: Even so, if you’re professional, you must have thought, “I tried to make new ground. That is more than enough.” right?
O: I told you, I can’t say such portentous things!
Y: Tisk.
O: Did you just ’tisk’ me?
Y: I did not.
O: ……okay then.

……Umm— Well, finally could you say something to your fans…

Y: Okabe-san has worked very hard to burn this CD, so everyone please relax and wait for its release.
O: A lot of work went into the making of this CD, so I would be extremely pleased if you give it a listen.
Y: As long as you buy it, it won’t matter if you don’t listen to it.
O: That’s so wrong!

…………Thank you very much.
So, I really don't think you can compare this soundtrack with Nier. The two games were very different and therefore require a different type of soundtrack. Since DOD3 is less character-based compared to Nier and much more action-based, there needed to be more ACTION in the music as well--I mean, just check out those boss themes, for example. Plus, Okabe did exactly what Yoko Taro told him to do--to do something DIFFERENT from Nier. This soundtrack is exactly that.

It's difficult for me to say one is better than the other, but for me, I still like Nier better because of its style and extensive character development and emotional soundtrack. There are still some great things coming out of the DOD3 soundtrack, though. <3 .........and I also have a difficult time listening to some of those boss themes simply because it brings me back to those fights...which sucked...completely. Ugh.

Last edited by Rekka Alexiel; Jan 22, 2014 at 09:19 AM.