View Single Post
Old Jul 31, 2010, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datschge View Post
Multi-stream as a concept was not exactly new, with sequenced music one was also able to seamlessly fade between several pieces if the number of voices is sufficient. It's one of those things that were pretty much technically possible all the time but only very few developers bothered to implement it.
We can say streaming music as a concept wasn't new either, since with sequenced music, one could technically let the memory only store the very instrumental samples (or the phrases) the sequencer was using, instead of transferring the sequence data and samples all at once? (or, wasn't this how the OP theme of ToP SNES was played?). Semi-joke aside, I think you have a very good point, although I was more talking about how I thought the multi-streaming (along with the extra disc space or the increased read rate) played an important role in the transition to streamed music in video game.

Anyways, when it comes down to town music, I think Chrono Cross is exceptionally good, but I guess the OST as a whole is too popular to mention here.