View Single Post
Old Jan 4, 2016, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejl1987 View Post
Hey there.

I'm also a big S.S.H. fan too.

By the way,I think he's part of Hellion Sounds (compare the guitar synth sound in some tracks,for example compare Battle 1 from FF Mystic Quest arrange from the first Hellion Sounds CD to some 2004 S.S.H. music,and also the Etrian Odyssey arrangement from the latest Hellion Sounds to Forgotten Ruins,which were released in the same year).
Yo,

Regarding Hellion Sounds, I actually raised (barely remember even making that post) this still unresolved issue some years ago here: http://vgmdb.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10290

Back then in the mid-2000s, when I was active in hunting down and listening to doujin music, "Hellion Sounds" was by far, the most similar sounding to S.S.H. However, I just assumed they were two different people who happened to have very similar styles. If S.S.H. and Hellion Sounds are indeed the same person, then that makes him even more awesome: That Final Fantasy USA: Mystic Quest "Battle 1" arrange was the best FFMQ arrange back then, perhaps even now.

As for the "Battlefield's Awakening | Shin Sekaiju no Meikyuu Millennium no Shoujo" track from the "Red Re:zome" album, you might be onto something here. The guitar solo starting at about 2:40 sounds suspiciously S.S.H.-like. Forgive me for any incorrect guitar terminology, but for starters, you've got the obvious post-2012 raw general S.S.H. sound, the how-do-I-say... "unclean" picking of notes reminiscent of any track from S.S.H.'s "Forgotten Ruins" album, and furthermore, the long sustained vibratos and high notes (see the two pairs of three long notes in the "Ninja vs Vampire" track from 2:25 to 2:50).

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejl1987 View Post
I also think that he went by Ges.M in some Woodsoft albums (the Afterburner arrange in AGES sounds like it uses the same sound setup as Atelier Iris Deceitful Wings to me),although,I have don't have definitive evidence of this.
The Woodsoft "Kleene" album was also an album that I played a decent amount back then, though I didn't make any S.S.H. connections at the time. I gave it (the "Ges.M" tracks) another listen.

The non-guitar synth from the "Glacies" track does sound similar to the one used in the Sega Ages PS2 remake of Gainground, to be more specific: "Origin ~Awaken~ (Theme of Heroes) [BGM1]" (also from 2004).

Moving onto "The Gods of the Four Winds", the intro immediately reminds me of "Thunder Light" from the "Sixty Nine 2 Original Soundtrack".

Thirdly, the happy positive sounding "Like a Wind" reminds me of "Believe In Yourself" and "Daylight" (also from Sixty Nine 2).

Finally, a few of the artists involved with Kleene were involved in other albums that S.S.H. was also part of.

I'm not sure if I listened to the right rendition of it but the PS2 Sega Ages Afterburner music didn't really express "S.S.H." to me. One possible relevant note is that Gainground (composed by S.S.H.) is Sega Ages Vol. 9 while Afterburner is Vol. 10 so at least the time frame is consistent.

Having said all that, maybe everything here is just a coincidence, but I can only share my observations and thoughts. Also, I don't recall S.S.H. ever specifically mentioning in his blog posts etc Hellion Sounds or this Ges.M but I'll have to double check my, archives, you could call it.