View Single Post
Old Jan 19, 2010, 10:54 PM

I understand this. But that's really my whole issue. Albums like Symphony of the Night have a rich, long, and storied history within the community, one closely tied to how they were portrayed in-game. They also carry with them old, almost traditional, translated track titles that many in the community would recognize, despite inaccuracies. I think in a sense it's a betrayal of our own history as a game music listening subculture to cast this away.

Isn't the purpose of a track title to relay the necessary information to identify a piece of music? How many different ways do we really need to say "Dracula's Castle" or "The Tragic Prince" before some sense of immediate identification is lost?

I say this only because I feel VGMdb's word on what these track titles are named effectively becomes the gold standard, such is its importance to collectors and listeners such as myself. Consistency is just as important as accuracy to the source. Literal translations might always require some adjustments based on the translator, making the standard malleable and open-ended.

But for special albums like this, we've had a standard for years. I'd just feel it a shame if it was thrown out on the basis of a missing word or two.