Thread: 5 Star Ratings
View Single Post
Old May 6, 2010, 10:23 AM

saying a few things that others have already said - i tend to go with 2.5 or 3 as average... and base it mostly on simply how much i enjoy a soundtrack, almost entirely subjective. that's the deciding factor. technical things like the recording quality don't bother me significantly, unless it's really obviously bad. missing tracks sucks though and i sometimes deduct a star (or more) for that. (case in point)

that said, most of my ratings are 3.5 and above. wouldn't make sense to actively seek out and listen to music that i'm not going to enjoy!

also, i don't ever pay any attention to ratings on albums as a mark of their quality. i think the ratings business is more interesting as a way of demonstrating your musical taste. it's interesting looking at other users ratings, what they consider good/not good, etc. it's a nice way to find common ground.

regarding tastes.... they do change over time, though you can change your ratings as well if you wish. that said I've found my musical tastes have been fairly consistent for the last 6 years. i've only changed ratings on a few albums from what they were initially (sometimes there's a grace period of "omgthisisawesome" or "idontlikethisthatmuch" before you become adjusted to an album.)