View Single Post
Old Jan 26, 2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
So again, I think it was unrealistic of you to expect to pull a major userbase from the existing communities in less than a year. And even without the time factor, people are rooted in their ways, something you can't just expect to change in less than a year.
Whatever about shoddy management and such (mentioned later), Mika has an important word to say. Take any of these sites, OCR, The Shizz, etc, etc. I'm sure they put a lot of effort into making their pages. They may have felt like Quintin at some point. I for one, if I had done the same, would be pretty angry if everyone suddenly migrated to another site, be it better or worse. I'm sure many like to think that if it happened to them and their people left, they'd accept it for what it is and move on, but it's just not the case. If you put your heart and soul into a site, you'd feel wrong done by if another site came along and stole everything away from you.

Quintin, people are very loyal, even if it doesn't seem so. Some of the people's time you want a cut of, have helped build those sites to be what they are. It'll take much longer than the time you've given for a change to properly occur. People change slowly if it's natural and after a while they may naturally fall to this site as well as OCR, VGmix, etc. The remix industry isn't TOO huge, so I think most people feel at home on their preferred sites at the moment. You should allow for more time before thinking that all is lost. You've gained interest and people genuinely want this site to continue, so you're on the right path.

Mika, good points, but I don't think Quintin really wants to "buy" people so much as give them an incentive to check something out that isn't in their norm. May have just been the easiest way to achieve that. Remixers/composers are some of the most opinionated people around on the net and they will find a place they like and stick with it (as you were implying). Most people spend more time on one site over the others. Quintin wants this site to be the same homebase for people, but how do you get their attention? There's comps everywhere. There's remixing sites everywhere. I think what Quintin did worked to gain interest. He also caught the ears of the more serious people wanting to make a living of their music through the medium of video-games, for me, this is especially interesting. He's not exactly bribing people. Otherwise, there'd be no problem, we'd be here every day. :P

But I agree with you, the money would look bad from a perspective of other sites who couldn't or, more importantly "wouldn't" do the same. But then.... those sites are already in existence. The money, if anything, showed Quintin's honesty in wanting to make this site work, since he's not earning anything back. Why would he do it otherwise?

Sorry for the long post. ^_^'