View Single Post
Old Aug 14, 2018, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinphonic View Post
1. Just pointing out Star Fox Assault was already a PERFECT orchestral album of Star Fox 64 pieces as far as I am concerned:
No, no it wasn't perfect. Not even close. The selection, arrangement quality, recording quality, and performance were all mediocre or poor. Several selections like Katina are performed embarrassingly under tempo, moving at a painful crawl. Assault is the perfect example of how not to orchestrate video game music.

Quote:
There really needs nothing more to be done with a single cue approach, except some of the Boss cues.
Since it was done poorly before, the "single cue" approach is just fine and preferable.

Quote:
A symphonic story within the soundworld of SciFi blockbusters like Independece Day by David Arnold, telling a musical story from Corneria to Venom is the way to go I think.
No, no, no. I don't want more Hollywood in my Japanese VGM. Arnold is an adequate composer, but hardly one of the best, and soundtracks like ID are made up from shelf-stocked score material.

Quote:
Mr. Sato, for Planet Katina (and the whole game infact) I would sugest this approach
What...? How can you even suggest this? Even the person who made this ridiculous video showed their disdain for Star Fox 64's actual music by titling the video "StarFox 64 - "Battle of Katina" with Proper Music". Again, no, we don't need film score nonsense. I believe you'll find yourself the minority on that one. In fact, were this project to go the "Hollywood" route, I would have to regretfully withdraw my support.

Quote:
2. For Shadows of Valentia I would love it to be in tradition of Hollywood epics like Conan the Barbarian by Basil Poledouris and/or stick close to the sound of the
What is your thing with Hollywood? That's what film music is for... and perhaps the majority of most recent Western VGM.

Oddly, Poledouris's style is very much not the typical Hollywood sound of the modern day, and far more a product of the so-called "Silver Age"--which the Ogre Battle orchestral album sounds a lot like. Film scores don't sound like Poledouris or any other Silver Age progeny anymore.

Quote:
Orchestral Game concerts, in symphonic movements if possible:
The Orchestral Game Concert series were poorly arranged outside of a few standouts (Tanaka, Kanno, etc.), and, more pointedly, were extremely under-rehearsed. It's like they were sight-reading on the nights of the concerts...