View Single Post
Old Jan 17, 2012, 07:33 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHz View Post
A thought: maybe adding a "reprint" flag or (more complicated) a way to add relationships between releases? Could be a way of clearing up some of the name linking issues.
I've been experimenting with this idea, but instead of using a flag to mark a release as a reprinting, I've added the ability to designate a parent release that is "musically equivalent" to the release in question. This can be used for strict reprintings, but it can also be used for a game that is released on multiple platforms and multiple languages, provided that the music (which is what we care about) is exactly the same. These days, PS3, Xbox360, PC ... probably all sound the same as each other, but not the same as NDS or PSP.

So, when you have musically equivalent albums, only the one designated as the parent (which may be kind of an arbitrary choice if it's a simultaneous release) shows up in the list when you are linking an album. This was the main motivation.

As an example, I took the 3 Castlevania Chronicles releases, and made the earliest one the musically equivalent parent. You can see the effects of this by clicking on those three releases here:

http://vgmdb.net/product/812

You can also declare a parent release for any release using the release editing menu. (Note: releases aren't viewable until specific album links exist for them, but you can always edit them from their product's edit page. Look for the list of releases, with the little Edit pencils beside them, and click on that pencil.)

This is experimental, so I'm anticipating more discussion and feedback from you.