View Single Post
Old Mar 31, 2012, 08:19 PM

Anyone want to share their thoughts/opinions on the music of post-Shadow Hearts (or pre- for that matter) Yoshitaka Hirota? You can comment on his entire soundtracks (including unreleased) and/or individual tracks for a multi-artist album. Convince me to search out his relatively unknown pieces/works.

Unreleased Hirota game music apparently includes I think: Saint Seiya Senki (2011 PS3), D.Gray-Man Sousya no Shigaku (2008 PS2), Heracles no Eikou: Tamashii no Shoumei (2008 NDS). I do not know to what extent his involvement in the music is.

Looking at the discography, I see quite a few unfamiliar and probably obscure names/products. I can only comment on (and have heard) the following:

SH1, 2, 3, Arrange, Special Sound CD: It's Shadow Hearts.

ENORMOUS THREAT from Rogue Galaxy Premium Arrange: The usual Hirota sound with Kyoko Kishikawa the "Voice Performer" AKA "gibberish but good-sounding gibberish". Excellent track.

Kinema in the Hole: I don't know what the album is about but it's the usual Hirota + Vocal goodness. It is both heavy (on the bass) and light.

THE PHOENIXION -Extra Mix- (From "Culdcept Saga") from Hyper Game Music Event 2007 EXTRA The Live Album Vol.1: Kyoko Kishikawa teaming up with a few performers, including Hirota on the Bass as usual. Addictive song. I would love to see this live (which it was). Has the video ever been recorded?

One-Winged Bird from Message: Another Hirota + Vocal combination (with Noriko Mitose from Chrono Cross). Mesmerising song.

The Wolf Revealed ~Castlevania: Judgment (Nintendo Wii)~ from Akumajo Dracula Tribute Vol.1: I don't remember listening to this song, even though I did. I'm not implying it's good or bad, just that I don't remember it (which I guess is a bad thing regardless). Update: I've listened to it a few more times since this post but I still don't remember anything about the actual song. Also, in an interview (where he was with his fellow "Earthbound Papas" members), Hirota himself stated that (paraphrased) this song should be forgotten/doesn't exist to him. I guess it worked (forgetting this song). Oh well.

何処までも (Doko made mo) from Yamadan / SPARKING!!!: Another single Yoshitaka song, this time with Yasunori Mitsuda, and this time with a male vocalist. Another good one.

Kagura (Stage 4 1st Half) from GUWANGE Arrange Album + Original Sound Track: is also decent.

Octave Theory: I haven't gotten round to give this one a proper listen yet but I see no reason to be disappointed (if their live performances are of any indication).

Last edited by layzee; May 24, 2012 at 11:19 PM.