View Single Post
Old Oct 19, 2008, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Since cue sheets includes centiseconds that would be of higher resolution than the current track times to employing it would be an improvement for that alone already
Yeah, this was what I was getting at. Cue sheets have more accurate data. A tracklist that rounds to seconds is alright if you're simply browsing, but for accurate information about an album, you need to have it down to as high a resolution as possible. These could also be used as a reliable VGM CD database to connect via an EAC plugin or something (thanks for bringing that up). I don't think it's impossible for vgmdb to do that, which is why I suggested it.

Quote:
I can't see much use for the .sfv file other than verifying downloaded discs, which isn't something we want to promote here.
Ok. I certainly wasn't suggesting vgmdb promote downloading albums. I thought it would be important for album verification.

Quote:
Basically their goal is to dump/archive CD-based media properly with no data unaccounted for and for that to be the standard.
Thanks for the info on redump. I wasn't aware they existed (and I'm surprised nobody mentioned it to me). I know TOSEC has a lot of information, but I don't know how they gathered it. Archival standards is something I'm interested in, thanks to my work in digital media preservation. VGMdb is a database, not an archive. But that doesn't mean it can't contain information that would be important to an archive. Anyway, this would be similar to what I was talking about. I'll run this by the SIG I'm working with and see what they think about it.

Incidentally, this site has another tutorial. The standard one guy I know uses is to use EAC to get the tracklist information. If the album is CD+G, he'll use CDRWIN.

BTW, how many VGM albums do we see with CD+G or other alternate formats and how are these documented on the site? I know the Midi Power Pro discs came with floppies containing midi files, but have never seen an actual album that contained data other than music.