View Single Post
Old Nov 25, 2009, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muuurgh View Post
It may be too much of a pain, but maybe you could require voters to post on a thread in the forum, rank their top 3 (giving them a point value of 3, 2, or 1), and write why they ranked them such. This method may weed out mere popularity votes and also provide the composers with a lot more insight into how their compositions were heard by others. Composers cannot vote for themselves.
I also feel that, in this manner, there has to be at least a final judge in the competition that weighs vote point tally and what is said about the compositions, and I assume that would be you, quintin.
While I appreciate the suggestion of my making a choice, I don't like this approach because it assumes that there's a reason why I'm more qualified to judge entries than everyone else. I don't think I'm special in any way when it comes to music appreciation.

As to the idea of rating songs, what you've described is implemented by the site's toplists. During the final tally, we can increase the number of points for higher positions in the toplist, as suggested above. In fact, toplists may be the best way of rating songs, for several reasons:

1. You get a limited number of votes - currently 10, but that can be adjusted
2. You can't vote against people you don't like other than by not including those songs on your toplist
3. You can't include your own songs on your toplist
4. Voters are forced to register, which reduces the possibility of registering votes from random IP addresses

However, it has a disadvantage:

1. Anonymous voting is lost

But even this disadvantage can bring accountability to people and draw more attention to cheaters

I'm curious to hear opinions about Muuurgh's suggestion. I think that using toplists may resolve all of the issues that have been presented here.