VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Apr 23, 2011, 10:26 AM

Not only that Megalixr but the argument has been for some time now WHY this CD gets a higher price tag in the States.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 01:11 PM
Trusted Editor

Your argument has gone from "this cd is a steal at 250", which people showed you it wasn't to "well Japanese auction sites don't count" after we proved that yahuoku is cheaper to "well in the past in the us it went for that much so it must still be true" and we proved that availability and pricing has increased and decreased respectively to "well this is how much these people paid for it" to which we also pointed out that it was all significantly historical to "well mine is mint so it's worth more than everyone elses" to "I'd gladly pay more for the convenience of a national reliable seller I can communicate with"

You, sir, lose.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 04:38 PM

I lost by, what, $30-40 in all your guys' opinions? Yup. Epic defeat there, let me tell ya. Jeez, if you guys are so freaking poor that you have to cut major corners and wait 2-3 times as long for your merchandise from someone you can't ask questions to than I certainly am winning I would think. When $40 is a nice, simple convenience fee.

I never said Japanese auction sites didn't count. I said they're not exactly a fair comparison because the CD is much more readily available over there and their economy is crap. Finding a US seller is the difficult part. Quit putting words in my mouth.

And how are AAAALLLL those people who's quotes I posted saying that if they sold the CD today they would expect a fair chunk of change historical exactly? Do you know what "historical" means? Here you go: "of, pertaining to, treating, or characteristic of history or past events: historical records; historical research." See? That basically means past tense. WAS worth such and such. So everyone still believes that it's worth something TODAY except you, Raizen and Megalixr. Start a club. You'll have 3 members, yay. You haven't "proved" a damn thing except it's cheaper to buy from Japan by $40 with 3 times as long to ship. And yet I've "proved" time and time again that the disc is worth more in the States. Why can't you just accept that fact as truth? Why is that so hard? The entirety of the interwebs believes this except you. As I have "proved". HAVE PROVEN! I never said I could explain WHY this is true but it sure seems to be the case. I've asked you and Raizen to prove why it ISN'T worth anything in the States and you have come up with NOTHING except to continually beat a dead horse about how you can get if from Japan for a percentage less. WHO CARES?! Why is it worth more here? That's the phenomena I'm trying to understand and everyone believes it except you! Can you tell me why? Nope.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 03:51 AM
Trusted Editor

Only thing this discussion has proven is that this album is way overpriced, as long as noone is willing to put it up without a starting price of gazillion dollars.

But then, every album over $80 is overpriced*, no matter who wanked over it.

*There's exceptions, but they're compilation sets, or really limited print runs or special editions. Not out of print albums.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 07:47 AM

It's not just the Japanese economy that is poor at the moment, the US dollar is as low as it has been for a long time. So its pretty much not a good time to sell vgm anywhere. I spent alot of money on albums, and like you I'd like to fetch all most if not at all of it back but its just not really doable at the moment.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 08:08 AM
Trusted Editor

I think this was already mentioned: VGM is not a good financial investment. If you plan to buy for reselling, then you better switch to stock trading or something
Old Apr 24, 2011, 08:23 AM

Actually, in some respects it is a very good investment. All albums start at 4,500 Yen or less (except boxsets) and some sell for massive ammounts now. But when you're like me and you gotta have the album now you pay alot for it, people just aren't prepared to spend those kinds of outlays on one cd so it's very hard to get that money back if you want it.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaleon64 View Post
I lost by, what, $30-40 in all your guys' opinions? Yup. Epic defeat there, let me tell ya. Jeez, if you guys are so freaking poor that you have to cut major corners and wait 2-3 times as long for your merchandise from someone you can't ask questions to than I certainly am winning I would think. When $40 is a nice, simple convenience fee.

I never said Japanese auction sites didn't count. I said they're not exactly a fair comparison because the CD is much more readily available over there and their economy is crap. Finding a US seller is the difficult part. Quit putting words in my mouth.

And how are AAAALLLL those people who's quotes I posted saying that if they sold the CD today they would expect a fair chunk of change historical exactly? Do you know what "historical" means? Here you go: "of, pertaining to, treating, or characteristic of history or past events: historical records; historical research." See? That basically means past tense. WAS worth such and such. So everyone still believes that it's worth something TODAY except you, Raizen and Megalixr. Start a club. You'll have 3 members, yay. You haven't "proved" a damn thing except it's cheaper to buy from Japan by $40 with 3 times as long to ship. And yet I've "proved" time and time again that the disc is worth more in the States. Why can't you just accept that fact as truth? Why is that so hard? The entirety of the interwebs believes this except you. As I have "proved". HAVE PROVEN! I never said I could explain WHY this is true but it sure seems to be the case. I've asked you and Raizen to prove why it ISN'T worth anything in the States and you have come up with NOTHING except to continually beat a dead horse about how you can get if from Japan for a percentage less. WHO CARES?! Why is it worth more here? That's the phenomena I'm trying to understand and everyone believes it except you! Can you tell me why? Nope.
Can you stop blabbering and just tell us why the thread exists?
Old Apr 25, 2011, 02:48 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyblunder View Post
Actually, in some respects it is a very good investment. All albums start at 4,500 Yen or less (except boxsets) and some sell for massive amounts now.
I really, really don't see the logic here.

It's not a reliable investment. If you buy every Japanese VGM CD that tickles your fancy at time of release from 1989 to 1995, YES you will be able to get 400% or 500% RoI a decade later for a handful of items.

And for the rest, expect that 3000 yen ($30 plus S&H, give or take) to be an item with zero demand, and if you ever try to sell it in the states, expect it to go for a price tag somewhere between $5 and $10.

I've had some great luck with re-selling items I bought. I got OGC5 for $25 and sold for $100. And then, I've had bad luck ($150 for FFIV Piano, sold for $80, and all this before the reprint). It's hit or miss, but if you're collecting with intent to resell, you will ultimately miss. Just ask Lucy aka "Chudah" about it.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 08:34 PM

"Can you stop blabbering and just tell us why the thread exists?"

Because you guys keep posting here. Stop posting, it'll die.

Only thing this discussion has proven is that this album is way overpriced, as long as noone is willing to put it up without a starting price of gazillion dollars.

I don't think it's overpriced. It has a serious reputation of being super rare and I found one in practically new condition and love it. It's certainly worth the price to me! Course, that's MY OPINION. *COUGHDANCEYCOUGH* (And the opinion of about a hundred thousand others) But you are right about it being a bad time for VGM. I'm even having a hard time getting new stuff out of Japan right now. The R-type Collection has been back-ordered on Play Asia for weeks now. :/
Old Apr 26, 2011, 08:19 AM

Yay! Scratch that last part, it just shipped finally! That makes me happy.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramza View Post
I really, really don't see the logic here.

It's not a reliable investment. If you buy every Japanese VGM CD that tickles your fancy at time of release from 1989 to 1995, YES you will be able to get 400% or 500% RoI a decade later for a handful of items.

And for the rest, expect that 3000 yen ($30 plus S&H, give or take) to be an item with zero demand, and if you ever try to sell it in the states, expect it to go for a price tag somewhere between $5 and $10.

I've had some great luck with re-selling items I bought. I got OGC5 for $25 and sold for $100. And then, I've had bad luck ($150 for FFIV Piano, sold for $80, and all this before the reprint). It's hit or miss, but if you're collecting with intent to resell, you will ultimately miss. Just ask Lucy aka "Chudah" about it.
Hence the *in some respects*, and the *some* items sell for massive ammounts. If you are selective you can make money, it's mainly mascot character albums that fetch the most. It's irrelevant to me anyway, because I didn't spend thousands to make a profit.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaleon64 View Post
Because you guys keep posting here. Stop posting, it'll die.
This still doesn't explain why you created this thread to begin with. I am questioning why you made this thread to begin with, not why you continue to post.
Old Apr 30, 2011, 10:02 PM

Because I was spreading the word that this CD was for sale... Why wasn't that painfully obvious? *knock knock* Hello? McFly?

Also another one is up on eBay for $150. And this seller I REALLY like. When he says like new condition, he freaking MEANS it. I bough a Perfect Selection Gradius 2 and a Gradius in Classic 2 with the outer sleeve and they looked like they had never been played. GiC 2 even had then original shrink wrapping on the CD case.

So I guess I overpaid for my copy by $50 but it kind of sucks that now that I bought one they're popping up all over eBay, this one cheaper. Bad timing. Eh, it's a great CD and I love it and that's what counts. Still, $150 is a good chunk of change though.
Old May 2, 2011, 09:15 AM

Lol, scratch that. He pulled the listing and re-listed it at $299.99! O_o
Old May 2, 2011, 09:30 AM
Trusted Editor

Who cares for ebay BIN? The seller is active on YA too and at least she got the wits to count 1+1 together...
Old May 2, 2011, 08:12 PM

True.

On a different note my R-Type Collection came in today. This is happiness.
Old May 16, 2011, 06:41 AM

i paid 60usd/piece for 2 copies of dracula new classic with reg card and obi, 3 months ago

seems like no one cares about this cd anymore, poor thing lol

just my 2 cents for posterity and future buyers
Old May 25, 2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxKiller65 View Post
i paid 60usd/piece for 2 copies of dracula new classic with reg card and obi, 3 months ago

seems like no one cares about this cd anymore, poor thing lol

just my 2 cents for posterity and future buyers
100 years from now, all extant copies of DNC will be worth less than 2 cents, unless there is a demand for the plastic and paper. (My 100 year estimate might be a bit generous.)
Old May 25, 2011, 11:01 PM

Paper will be worth a FORTUNE some day! You'll see!
Old May 29, 2011, 02:03 AM

Ha ha I must say you're right. If paper will be worth a lot, then the manual of this CD will be worth 200 Space Credits in the future. At least.
Old May 29, 2011, 10:24 PM

Nah, it'll only be worth about 60 space credits on Yahoo! Japan. Mark my words. But only after their Dark Fusion Reactors melt down from the great tsunami of 3012 and the economy tanks.
Old May 30, 2011, 02:35 AM

I think Dark Samus might be behind all of this... OMG.

Anyway just a general remark... To all those who say things like, CDs will be worth nothing, floppies will be worth nothing, books, computers, whatever, well frankly, we'll be probably dead by the time all these things start to rot and become totally unusable, so I don't think it's a good point against collectors, and it doesn't really mean much to those who collect for other reasons that purely reselling (which are a small minority).

Everything rots, our bodies first, it's not like knowing that my collection will rot soon that's going to stop me from buying/trading/selling/wasting my free time on this passion.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 09:30 AM

Amen. And really, if you take care of CD's they can last a good long while. Keep them away from excessive heat and cold, out of really moist environments, so forth. People abuse CD's, DVD's and such and then wonder why they rot. I always keep my discs in the cases when not in use, I never leave them in the device and I keep the cases in plastic sleeves at all times, out of direct sunlight. It's a good habit to baby your media.