VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Aug 4, 2015, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFGalaxy View Post

Lastly, translation wars are pointless, I could say 遥かなる時, "far away time", pretty clearly has the meaning "the future", so it should be "Beyond the Future". Now we're just arguing on whose translation is better, which I'm guessing is why these types of translations don't make it to album title fields and why Outskirts of Time was added only because it's official... which by the way, it is.

clearly has the meaning "the future" ?
you assume "far away time" is far in the future, but it can be far in the past too
if they wanted to say "future", they'd have used "mirai", not "haruka naru toki"

if you had played the game, you'd have known that "outskirts of time" is played during staff roll after heroes returned to their time
in that scene epoch travels in time and you see heroes, so you have:
1/ future: atropos+robo
2/ past: ayla+kino
3/ past: frog+leene+king
4/ past: magus
Old Aug 4, 2015, 09:53 PM

You make a very good point, and I guess it's one reason custom translations aren't accepted into the album title field. I personally think the context of 遥かなる時 with 彼方 suggests that 遥かなる時 is the future since going beyond the future, infinity, etc are common concepts while going beyond the past is not since "beyond" suggests going in a forward direction and the phrase would be somewhat counter-intuitive (this is translating 彼方 as beyond which also doesn't have to be the case). To illustrate this point, if I say "beyond the past", don't you still think of the future? Fun link: this Japanese website translates our exact same phrase, 遥かなる時の彼方へ, as "further in the future". There are also multiple results for 遥かなる時 being the future, but of course that doesn't mean that phrase is limited to that translation here.

Regarding the use of 未来 instead, sure, but translations don't always have to literally read what is said. Take for example 獅子の星霊. Go ahead and translate it "the star soul of the lion" if you want, I prefer "Leo" and thankfully so does VGMdb. If you always try to cram in every word said in a different language from a different culture, you can get some weird and rather stiff translations. Of course, others will say they just could have used 獅子座 or 獅子宮 or レオ if they wanted Leo. I don't so much care to limit myself to saying only exactly what's said if an alternative exists that they could have used instead, translating would be a very rigid process otherwise.

As a sort of reply to your post, your translation isn't exactly my cup of tea since "space" really comes from nowhere. 遥かなる is far away/distant (an adjective, not a noun literally describing actual "distance" so I don't see the reach to it being real "space"), 時 is time, 彼方 is beyond/across. Really no room to interpret "space" popping up in there but I wouldn't be surprised if you could make a case for it

By the way, I love Chrono Trigger, I've played the original and its PlayStation re-release from beginning to end, it's a great game.

Last edited by RFGalaxy; Aug 4, 2015 at 09:58 PM.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 01:38 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigablah View Post
The discussion is getting a bit long, so I've split it off here.

My suggestion: "Across the expanse of a distant time"
Im sorry to come across sounding bitter with all my long winded replies. But your reply here has given me some courage that I didn't waste all my time.

For the time being, I agree with your translation.

I think a literal translation may be a bit difficult considering the differences in language syntax. And given how we don't have an official translation we are all just interpreting it in however which way we please, given the implied range of meanings anyway. My major complaint was just how "outskirts of time" was not particularly relevant or even accurate, given the circumstances. I suppose it does apply, however, historically to this phrase - and that is enough to keep it around for now. Either way, until an official title is given (if ever), these are just alternate search terms so maybe its not such a big deal.

Last edited by VyseLegend; Aug 5, 2015 at 01:46 AM.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFGalaxy View Post
... Take for example 獅子の星霊. Go ahead and translate it "the star soul of the lion" if you want, I prefer "Leo" and thankfully so does VGMdb...
reminds of that http://vgmdb.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5014
guys who think they know and in fact they know nothing but still speak as if they think to know (there are some threads like that)
bah, there'll be always guys like that, I guess (at least chz and others help, it avoids me to waste my time ;p)
Old Aug 5, 2015, 07:33 AM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigablah View Post
The discussion is getting a bit long, so I've split it off here.

My suggestion: "Across the expanse of a distant time"
I realized that a better take on this might be….drumroll

"Across the distant expanse(s) of time", don't you think?

Can't believe I'm still musing about this…
Old Aug 21, 2015, 02:36 PM

After much deliberation, I have derived what I surmise to be the most accurate translation;

"Chrono Bell; Cross all the way (to the far off, distant time)"

Old Sep 5, 2015, 05:07 PM

More confirmation of the appropriate translation, "To Far Away Times?" ??

https://twitter.com/YasunoriMitsuda/...64833577074688

posted by Mitsuda himself, the titular track of the album, but keeping mind the altered nomenclature of the album itself. I don't see the words "Brink of Time" anywhere on there though, but I'll keep a lookout.

Old Sep 7, 2015, 10:09 AM

That picture from Mitsuda's twitter kind of confirms the offical translation. He tweeted: "I love this piece. It's the album title this time. It's the last piece we are recording. I'm creating it together with Sara."

And in the picture you can see:
To Far Away Times
〜遥かなる時の彼方へ〜

EDIT: I just realized I'm an idiot. The title on that piece of paper in the picture is the track title, not the album title...

Last edited by Namorbia; Sep 7, 2015 at 09:55 PM.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 10:12 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namorbia View Post
That picture from Mitsuda's twitter kind of confirms the offical translation. He tweeted: "I love this piece. It's the album title this time. It's the last piece we are recording. I'm creating it together with Sara."

And in the picture you can see:
To Far Away Times
〜遥かなる時の彼方へ〜
Vindication is the most savory spice.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 10:14 PM

I asked Mitsuda which one he prefers, "Outskirts of Time" or "To Far Away Times".

Quote:
Because the nuance of Outskirts of Time is "end" or "shore" that's where the image stops. However, this time we have To Far Away Times, which has an image that there's still something beyond it. So the nuance is a bit different.
Original Japanese here.