VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Animation Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jul 24, 2011, 07:51 PM

shall -> http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/anime/fair...es/c_shall.gif

then, oracion seis is a group of six people, it can't be singular
(the original meaning is six evil generals)
Old Nov 26, 2011, 07:44 PM

That edit actually makes the English worse. When you refer to a single group, you use a singular verb. For example, you wouldn't say "Demetori are a good band." You would say "Demetori is a good band" because they are one band and you are really modifying the singular entity of the band. Do you see what I mean? However, you would say "Demetori and Led Zeppelin are good bands" because there is more than one of what you are modifying, which is bands. Even if you don't include the word band in the statement, you still wouldn't say "Demetori are good." That makes no sense. But you would say "Demetori and Led Zeppelin are good."

In this case, Oracion Seis is the single group we are modifying with the verb "appears", so it's "appears". An example of a plural case would be "Oracion Seis and the Fairy Tail guild appear", which would only be "appear" because there's more than one group.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 10:23 PM

if I should replace Oracion Seis by a pronoun, I'd use They, certainly not S/He or It
it's the way I see it
Old Nov 26, 2011, 10:44 PM

You can see it however you'd like. I think some rules in English are retarded, like saying "an historic". It sounds retarded, it feels retarded saying it, and it's an anti-rule if anything. You're supposed to precede consonant sounds with articles that end with a vowel, and vowel sounds with articles that end in a consonant. So, "an eighth, a tenth". But, historic is said with a consonant in the beginning and yet the actual English rule is to say "an historic". So, yeah, I agree that some rules are stupid. I still try to follow them.

You can say "Demetori are cool" out loud (just like I will say "a historic"), but in the database I'd rather strive for some accuracy.

Last edited by Hellacia; Nov 26, 2011 at 10:50 PM.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 01:14 AM

actually, my first translation had "appears", but I changed it because of "seis"
Old Nov 27, 2011, 05:45 AM
VGMdb Administrator

This singular/plural thing may be a difference between British English and American English. We generally use American English here though.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 11:39 AM

To clarify, "seis" isn't plural. It's just the Spanish number for "six" and happens to end in an "s" (like the word "abacus"). Also, "Oracion Seis" is a proper noun as it was the name of a guild. Based on those observations, I think Hellacia has the correct idea. It definitely makes sense to treat it as singular.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boco View Post
... It's just the Spanish number for "six" and happens to end in an "s" ...
no, not possible, orly?
what will make people without you?

(and six is plural, unless I engulfed into another dimension where numbers above 1 are singular ;p
that seis thing is just used differently in order to form a name)
Old Nov 27, 2011, 01:40 PM
VGMdb Advisor

^^ Numbers themselves are either singular (zero, seis) or plural (zeros, seis).
The words they modify may or may not be plural.

You guys sure are aggressive.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 01:50 PM

actually, I didn't mean number but number ;p
Old Nov 28, 2011, 12:52 AM

Like Dag said: six IS singular. Seriously. XD

Numbers express numerical concepts, but in and of themselves they are just words. You can have a single six or you can have multiple sixes. See? I wasn't trying to be anal. I was just pointing out a fact that was, and still is, being overlooked in the discussion. Nothing about "six" or "seis" by itself necessitates plurality in an American English sentence. You have to look beyond that to determine whether the subject is singular or plural.

Oracion Seis is a single guild. The guild happens to contain six members, but that's irrelevant. The set of integers is infinite, but it's still just a single set. It would sound really weird to say "The set of integers are infinite". At least to me anyway. o_O

Sorry to butt in like I did. I just wanted to help clarify the "seis" thing, but I guess I wasn't much help. Definitely didn't mean to come off as rude. ^_^;

EDIT: I did a little Google-ing and it seems there really isn't a true rule for this issue. It seems either way is technically correct. How strange! So I guess it's just a matter of preference?

Last edited by Boco; Nov 28, 2011 at 01:00 AM.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 03:27 AM

Yeah, like Secret Squirrel said, this is often treated differently between British English and American English. I was aware that we use American English here so I changed it. Even though it's not a rule per se, it still just makes more sense to do it this way based on other rules. Maybe it's that way to me because I know American English rather than British English. But when you have a singular subject, you use a singular verb. Like you said, Oracion Seis is a single guild. Singular subjects get singular verbs. And that much is a rule.

*shrugs*
Old Feb 27, 2012, 04:19 AM

huh, what the heck is that translator thing added? if that could be reverted (why not putting final fantasy as translator for an ff ost )
Old Feb 27, 2012, 06:08 AM
VGMdb Administrator

That person has never submitted anything before, so it's probably just a mistake.