VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 24, 2012, 08:15 PM
VGMdb Advisor

wait, what?

I thought this series was going to be one album per composer among the three "mains" of the Seiken Densetsu series. Ito already did his. So Kikuta's next.

So why is this album only SD2? We already have SoM+. If this doesn't cover SD3 as well, the only excusable reason is because Kikuta also plans an SD3 arranged album.

Anyone know what's up with this?
Old May 24, 2012, 08:29 PM
Trusted Editor

Clearly Square Enix loves Kikuta so much that they will do two Kikuta arrange albums, one for Seiken Densetsu 2 and one for Seiken Densetsu 3. And if those sell well, we will get secret of mana x 2.

But hopefully this will have SD 3 tunes also, it has some damn good tracks.
Old May 24, 2012, 09:28 PM

Hmm. A little disappointed with this discovery too. Although I definitely wouldn't mind a tradition SD2 arrange album, SD3 is in desperate need of some arrangement love. I really hope that the title is misleading or that a second album is planned. That seems a little optimistic though.
Old May 24, 2012, 09:32 PM
Trusted Editor

And now that I think of, didn't secret of mana + actually have stuff from Seiken Densetsu 3?
Old May 25, 2012, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razakin View Post
And now that I think of, didn't secret of mana + actually have stuff from Seiken Densetsu 3?
it's a mix of sd2/3 tunes and maybe some genuine stuff (because some parts of it doesn't remind me of sd)

also I'm not sure one can say som is an arrange album but rather like a concept album
maybe this time, you'll get arrange tracks like you can find in a vp arrange

personally I won't spit on two sd arrange albums (sd2 and sd3)
why not a whole arrange ost =)
Old May 25, 2012, 03:55 AM

Whoa, this seems interesting. Wonder who will be involved?
Old May 25, 2012, 07:28 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz Lunar View Post
Whoa, this seems interesting. Wonder who will be involved?
Well ... presumably, Kikuta. The project as it was laid out at the time of the 20-disc SD Box release was that these would be self-arrange albums. See: http://vgmdb.net/album/27561
Old May 25, 2012, 07:35 AM

Oh, even better
Old May 25, 2012, 09:53 AM

It would be good to see Seiken Densetsu 3's music on this - the Ito Rebirth album was a mix across the series - hopefully we might see a few SD3 tracks on this one. I'm guessing Shimomura will probably be the third album after this one....
Old May 25, 2012, 11:56 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentis View Post
I'm guessing Shimomura will probably be the third album after this one....
That was the plan, according to the ads they put out late last year.

Thinking about it, it'll be pretty friggin' hard to top the LoM / HoM tracks that appear on drammatica. I think they'll have to go for a style entirely different from full orchestra for it to have any effect. And by "different style," I do *not* mean Parasite Eve Remixes. :P
Old May 25, 2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razakin View Post
Copypasted from the SoM+ album thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
SD2/SD3 themes make appearance in this order:

1. Angel's Fear (SD2/SD3)
2. the bassline from Secret of Mana (SD3 track 3.03)
3. Into the Thick of It (SD2)
3. Steel and Snare (SD2)
4. Ancient Dolphin (SD3)
5. Meridian Child (SD3)
6. Return to Forever (SD3) [the third part, which starts around 4:10; also, the melody is slightly based on The Wind Never Ceases from SD2]

The rest seems to be either original or evolved from base chord progressions/rhytmic figures/ostinatos from either score. The anthem at the end is definitely original. Anyway, this was compiled through a dry listen, so it may not be comprehensive. Someone else will probably chime in if I missed anything.
Yeah, this definitely seems like something in the vein of drammatica and MYTH. Those Square Enix Music producers are good for their word.
Old May 25, 2012, 02:16 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Consider that secret of mana+ was released a couple of years before SD3 though.
Old May 25, 2012, 03:50 PM

Based on this description, the track selection is centered on Seiken Densetsu 2 and contains rather "faithful" synth up-grade sounds, than drastically arranged stuff. What I imagine is something you hear by getting sequence data from .spc and running them with VSTi plug-in, or many DS soundtracks that have 'original' sounds.
Old May 27, 2012, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedille View Post
Based on this description, the track selection is centered on Seiken Densetsu 2 and contains rather "faithful" synth up-grade sounds, than drastically arranged stuff. What I imagine is something you hear by getting sequence data from .spc and running them with VSTi plug-in, or many DS soundtracks that have 'original' sounds.
Well, maybe I shouldn't expect too much, but I seriously doubt that it will be THAT lame (just upgrade synth sound) - not if Kikuta's involved and SoM+ is any indication.
Old May 28, 2012, 01:45 AM

According to this page, it will be based on the original composer's files, before their SNES adaptation.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 06:22 AM
Trusted Editor

YesAsia has a tracklist online:
Quote:
スクウェア社ゲーム「聖剣伝説2」より

1993年、スーパーファミコン用 アクションRPGとしてリリースされた「聖剣伝説2」のゲーム内音源を、作曲家・菊田裕樹自身が新たにアレ ンジする音楽作品集。
原作は約150万本の出荷を超え、現在はiPhoneでのアプリとしても配信され今なお多くのゲームファン に愛され続ける。収録は全BGMの中から特に人気の高い楽曲を厳選する。開発当時のMIDIデータを元に、 実際にゲーム内で使われたオリジナル曲の譜面を忠実に再現し、最新の技術とDTM機材により、高いクオリテ ィでの音質と豊かな表現力を実現致します。
菊田裕樹自身が、開発段階で想像していた「聖剣伝説2」BGM本来の音楽世界をお楽しみください。

01 天使の怖れ
02 少年は荒野をめざす
03 妖精族のこども
04 危機
05 予感
06 嵐の孤児
07 子午線の祀り
Old Jun 17, 2012, 07:49 AM

honestly, I hope that tracklist is incomplete
Old Jun 17, 2012, 08:21 AM
Trusted Editor

I included a "incomplete?" postfix to the tracklist. It would be a shame to have so few tracks arranged...
Old Jul 20, 2012, 03:24 AM

Full tracklist + 4 samples now up on the official site. Re-added the longer listing. Although it remains to be seen whether or not the original Japanese track names are really apart of the tracklist.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 06:52 AM

Interesting! There's very little arrangement, sounds more like a sound upgrade. Not what I expected to be honest, but pretty nice anyway.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 07:12 AM

I'd have preferred the pre-final boss theme (dark lich, I think it's his name) instead of boss theme
and honestly I don't know if it's my speakers or the encoding made for the site but "prophecies" has a sound problem, I hope the cd won't have that :/
Old Jul 20, 2012, 12:08 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz Lunar View Post
There's very little arrangement, sounds more like a sound upgrade...
KOEI albums used to call these "Grade Up Versions" where they just use better synths, rather than calling them Arranges.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 04:28 AM

I would lying when I would say that I'm pleasured. To be honest I think the "arrangements" are damn cheap. There is no big deal adding an echo effect to a sound layer.

I have to listen to the full album before considering an import.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 01:02 AM

Square Enix Arrange albums aren't what they used to be... judging from the samples the synth quality is still pretty cheap (sounds now a bit more like a DS game so what's the point?) and after Ito's Mana Arrange album this can only be a dissapointment. Well, we will see. Like the cover, though... it brings back a lot of memories and it also somehow seems to fit the album very well.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 01:39 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Guys, this is precisely the concept of the album: Kikuta said he remade his original MIDI files with today's virtual instruments, in order to get the sound he wanted to at the time. On the website, he says it is specifically targeted at fans of the game.

Besides, I can't understand why this album can "only be" bad when it's not made by the same person at all.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 03:57 AM
Trusted Editor

Don't want to offend anybody, but the people now voicing their "disappointment" about the album being just a synth quality upgrade are those that didn't do their research properly in the first place. Like Zana pointed out (again) it was crystal clear from the beginning what the purpose of this album was. If you expected orchestral / live-instrument / jazz / rock / whatever arrangement you should've stayed away from this anyway, since it was never advertised as such.

And that first album by Ito: It was crap -- totally inconsistent, IMHO.

The point however is, that this isn't relevant at all here. The styles of the composers working on the SD series are already so vastly different that comparing these is just a waste of time. Plus it doesn't affect the other arrange albums. That's like saying every arrange album should sound like CREID and everything else is subpar since it's not by Mitsuda...

And yes, if Shimomura annonces her album to be of epic orchestral / choir style, and the end result is a chiptune album -- then you can complain all day long. But not here, where the style was fixed from day one.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 06:09 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidAcid View Post
Like Zana pointed out (again) it was crystal clear from the beginning what the purpose of this album was. If you expected orchestral / live-instrument / jazz / rock / whatever arrangement you should've stayed away from this anyway, since it was never advertised as such..
It wasn't crystal clear from the beginning that what kind of arrange album this would be. Because when we first heard of this album there wasn't much info out, right? :P
Old Jul 22, 2012, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Guys, this is precisely the concept of the album: Kikuta said he remade his original MIDI files with today's virtual instruments, in order to get the sound he wanted to at the time. On the website, he says it is specifically targeted at fans of the game.
That makes sense, though it is curious that he's doing this now (and more crucially, only with a limited number of songs) rather than years ago close to the game's release with all of the songs. For instance the OST album could have been something like this in the first place. Not knocking it, just strikes me as an unusual release both in premise and timing.

Quote:
the people now voicing their "disappointment" about the album being just a synth quality upgrade are those that didn't do their research properly in the first place. Like Zana pointed out (again) it was crystal clear from the beginning what the purpose of this album was. If you expected orchestral / live-instrument / jazz / rock / whatever arrangement you should've stayed away from this anyway, since it was never advertised as such.
I'm not disappointed by the release (it's a bonus) so your post can't be aimed at me, but even so that's a silly thing to say. The purpose of the album is only crystal clear if you've trawled through the advertisements and promotional guff (done your research as you put it), and then all that would mean is people would have stated their opinions sooner rather than later. Ultimately, it makes no difference... people are going to say their piece at some point or another.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 08:36 AM
Trusted Editor

I disagree. I find that close to the situation which I encountered with some of my friend, who went to the movies. It was "Black Swan" and two of them expected the movie to be of the category "dance film". I don't know how on what they based that, probably some advertising poster, etc.

Of course these two were "disappointed" because the movie wasn't exactly your typical dance film. I'm calling that simply stupid, because you could figured that out which a bit of Google magic (or _asking_ prior to joining the group). You also can't go into "Transformers" and then complain that it wasn't about gay cowboys.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 09:50 AM

that's normal to expect an arrange album is an arrange album when the name of the album has "arrange album", no?
I understand that some people can be disappointed by the news (that you saw ad or not, it doesn't change what people expected)
it's not a reason to start saying people are stupid simply because they have different opinions

personally, I'm fine with this release even if I wanted a longer version (like 15 minutes ) of "Sorcerer" because the current one is too short to me

edit: if the album sells well, s-e and he could make Genesis 2 (14 tracks) and Genesis 3 (14 tracks) to have like a whole arrange ost =)

Last edited by Phonograph; Jul 22, 2012 at 09:55 AM.