VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jun 26, 2009, 09:26 PM

New tracklist (and alternate artwork) submitted with track durations. I did not preserve the all-caps titles from the other tracklist because this album, nor the album it is a reprint of, have tracklists other than the names of the games represented.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 09:31 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Interesting. It seems the alternate scans have a Plus Alpha logo on them, in addition to the Scitron logo.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 09:56 AM
VGMdb Advisor

I'd guess that Plus Alpha logo was just photoshopped on by somebody else.

http://www.happinet-p.com/jp2/info/r...ode=SCDC-00106
The Scitron logo on the right is the only thing, with nothing on the left.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 10:30 AM

It may have been. I uploaded them more because of the better image quality. Though this reprint is of an album from "alfa records"....hmmm
Old Jun 28, 2009, 11:01 AM
VGMdb Administrator

If you don't have faith in the source that these represent a legitimate variant, then we should take them down.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 12:11 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGradio View Post
It may have been. I uploaded them more because of the better image quality. Though this reprint is of an album from "alfa records"....hmmm
Not related, as there's no such thing as any "plus alpha" series of reprints.
(Scitron named them the LEGEND series)

Where did you find the "alternate" image?

That would provide a clue why someone would add that logo, maybe to promote their personal website, if they had a game site named plus alpha or something.

Last edited by Carl; Jun 28, 2009 at 12:24 PM.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 02:36 PM

I didn't say that there was a "plus alpha" series. I was only amused at the coincidence. The fact remains that these are better scans. I can gimp/photochop the plus alpha thing off and re-upload it if it offends you that much. I did not set the album cover to default and labeled it "alternate" for a reason, you know.

It was provided with the audio for a VGM preservation submission project, not grabbed from a scene collection on a site or anything. I don't think the logo was intentionally added to promote a collection but I'll be happy to look around and/or see if any other albums from the same project have the logo.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 03:53 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Well, no one is offended by the scan. We just want to make sure that our scans our accurate. If this scan represents some variant printing, then we want to know more about it. By the way, I'm sure I've seen that logo somewhere before.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 12:17 AM

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound standoffish, your wishes for accurate scans are all fine and good, which is why I uploaded it as-is. I think altering the scan would have made my submission less credible, or at the very least a little shady.

I think I've seen the logo too, but after researching the other album scans, I didn't find anything. Maybe something else will turn up. And if we find out it *was* added later, I'll pull it out (it's in a plain black area after all) so we can still have the clearer and slightly-larger scan for anyone that wants it.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 12:22 AM

BTW, this page has the plus alpha logo on the cover: http://www.ga-core.net/special/sp01-01.php

...but then this one (when you click the cover) does not: http://www.ubook.co.jp/shop/goods/go...p?goods=298027

But then if you use the image URL (http://www.ga-core.net/special/images/SCDC-00106m.jpg) and remove the M you get a fullsize cover with the logo: http://www.ga-core.net/special/images/SCDC-00106.jpg
Old Jun 29, 2009, 01:39 AM
VGMdb Advisor

The GA-Core page having it displayed certainly boosts it's legitimacy factor a lot.
At least that moved it up out of hack-job territory for me now, so thanks for providing that reference.

There was a few of the SCDC reprints that got delayed long enough to be renumbered later (I think the Konamic Game Freaks was one of those cases) when they finally did get a reprint, so there could be a chance this might have been from a canceled number. A case of the renumbering: SCDC-00064 (02/07/2001) which I don't think ever came out, but SCDC-00465 (11/23/2005) did get released.

Ahh, just found another Plus Alpha logo!

On konami game music vol.1 http://vgmdb.net/album/3808
but the logo isn't there when listed at SEMO
http://www.squareenixmusic.com/album...memusic1.shtml
and this magazine ad from Nov.2000 is without it
http://www.gm-spirit.com/gm_flyer/bi...11-scirton.htm

Being that there's now another case where it's both present and missing (but still has the Scitron logo each time), then perhaps a small promotional print run (with logo?) followed by the larger commercial print run (without) might be the best explanation at the moment, as most places show it without.

Last edited by Carl; Jun 29, 2009 at 02:11 AM.
Old Jul 2, 2009, 09:27 PM

crazy. I actually own a physical copy of konami game music vol1 so I'll check it out when I get home in a day.
Old Jul 2, 2009, 09:53 PM
VGMdb Administrator

There's also the possibility that it's a watermark added by a vendor.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 05:47 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Seems like Nick G solved the "plus alpha" logo question with his scans.
Thanks to him, we can see there are 2 different booklets included in this reprint release.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 04:00 AM
Trusted Editor

Anyone knows who "O" is? I'd really like to know the composer for ASO.

From my experience alpha stands for "extra", like in Street Fighter EX plus alpha (which means more characters than the arcade version etc.). So yes, there was a second booklet included with this release, which contains some nice extra information.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 04:53 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicider View Post
Anyone knows who "O" is? I'd really like to know the composer for ASO.
Yoko Osaka is a possibility, but then she also could be "Y" too.

There's also an "OH!CHAN" in a few SNK games: Guerrilla War (NES), Fighting Soccer (arcade), and Paddle Mania (arcade). I don't believe OH!CHAN is ever credited with a "YOKO," so it could be another alias of Osaka, or it certainly could be another person entirely.

I don't have any other guesses for "Y" except a shot in the dark: Masakazu Yuasa, who appears only in the end credits for the NES version of Iron Tank.

Also, by those credits for Fighting Soccer I linked, it appears that 亜蘭 里 is read "Aran Lee."
Old Nov 16, 2011, 06:22 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Both "O" and "Y" are identified with the kanji typically used for "mr." (not necessarily just men, but usually), and around the time there was also Kenny, so maybe he (Yuasa?) and Oh!Chan are the mysterious letters?
EDIT: nope, from the JP Iron Tank credits, Kenny=Kazuhiro Nishida. Masakazu Yuasa is "J", but could've used "Y" here.

Time to recheck those early SNK games's credits.

Btw, does anybody know where the "Osaka" from Yoko Osaka comes?

Last edited by Dag; Nov 16, 2011 at 11:57 AM.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 02:46 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Oh man, I didn't know the Japanese NES version of Iron Tank gives aliases. I love it when that happens so we can cross reference. <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag View Post
Btw, does anybody know where the "Osaka" from Yoko Osaka comes?
End credits of the arcade version of P.O.W.: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixA06S2l50g#t=7m21s. That's also the only appearance of it that I'm aware of (tried to verify that one for myself a while back).
Old Oct 8, 2016, 03:30 PM
VGMdb Advisor

O was linked to Yoko Osaka with no reasoning, out it goes.

Random musings:

From this shmuplations interview (originally from GSLA) we have two names.

- 吉野嘉哲 (Kasatoshi? Yoshino). Assistant planner & sound supervisor [not "composer"] in ASO and TANK. He doesn't say much.

- 辻 博史 (Hiroshi? Tsuji). Marvin Maze, Gladiator, ASO enemy design. He talks about asking others for S.E in ASO, and about S.E. he did in TANK, specially the "ドンツクドン" explosion sound (the TANK bit wasn't translated in shmuplations for some reason).

- The unidentified writer in pg1 liner notes talks about making enemy design in ASO and the ドンツクドン explosion sound. So he would be Tsuji.

- Since Aran Lee didn't work on ASO, 吉野嘉哲 isn't him.

- O worked on ASO/TANK/Ikari, 吉野嘉哲 worked on ASO/TANK, it's possible it's him.

- I'm not very familiar with TANK (arcade) or Iron Tank (NES), but given Kenny is listed in Iron Tank and not in this album I suspect the credits don't apply to TANK. So Y isn't necessarily Masakazu Yuasa.

- Tsuji talks about Y in ASO but I don't think he did music. 吉野嘉哲 was "sound supervisor" in ASO, and Y worked on TANK like 吉野嘉哲. So Y could be 吉野嘉哲 (more likely).

- It's also possible (but unlikely) 吉野嘉哲 is Masakazu Yuasa, kanji don't match at all even if the transcription would be mistaken.

- Toshikazu Tanaka lists Dogo Soken in his site, so he is T (re-confirmation).

- Given that OH!CHAN is in Paddle Mania (arcade) and YOKO is credited in this album for Paddle Mania, OH!CHAN = YOKO.

- ASO/TANK are 1985 games. Guerrilla War, earliest(?) YOKO credit is 1987.

Whew!

EDIT: from SNK's 40th anniversary museum mode (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2d-kOEmMFg)
- Hiroshi Tsuji composed ASO
- bus also this feature also identifies Kasatoshi Yoshino as the composer of ASO and other games
- SNK didn't have a composer before ASO, so BGM was made by programmers and marketing staff

Last edited by Dag; Aug 30, 2022 at 01:52 PM.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 10:19 PM

I examined the credits to P.O.W. as well and found the kanji 西田和弘. However, there is a new wrinkle I found.

According to "みんなで決めるゲーム音楽ベスト100まとめwiki", a Japanese site I frequent, there is a credit as follows: KENNY西田(メインテーマ、エンディングテーマ) . Since we already know Eikichi Kawasaki wrote the lyrics to, and composed the music FOR, the main theme which is the basis of "Psycho Soldier", this begs the question: Is Kazuhiro Nishida an alias in an alias, for Kawasaki, the founder of SNK?

I am extremely knowledgable on ALL THINGS Ys and LUNAR. If you have a question about either series, ASK AWAY! I will answer it to the best of my ability!

Old Nov 25, 2022, 11:34 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag View Post
吉野嘉哲 (Kasatoshi? Yoshino)
In this post, Harumi Fujita mentions a former SNK employee named Yoshiaki Yoshino who had a demo tape she submitted: https://note.com/legendharumi/n/ndb17a04a3062

The editor of SNK's VIDEO GAME LAND newsletter (mentioned in the previously linked Retro Gamer magazine feature) was also listed as Y. YOSHINO: https://youtu.be/S2d-kOEmMFg?t=5881