Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Dec 7, 2016, 09:36 AM

Default SaGa Frontier 2 anyone?

Honestly this is one of the greatest soundtracks I've ever heard

Anyone else heard of this series?
Old Dec 7, 2016, 09:46 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Welcome to the club.

Plenty of us think Hamauzu is one of the most intellectual composers out there. His music stirs the mind, and it is very much of the impressionist era (though, strangely, I asked Hamauzu and he didn't recognize the names "Debussy" or "Ravel" ...)

And the SF2 soundtrack is absolutely amazing. You'll find few people around here who say otherwise.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 01:35 PM

Thirded, this is a small jewel covering the full spectrum of emotions, from sadness to strength, to doubt..

Granted it might have (too) many variations of the main theme (and even so, I enjoy all the little subtleties that make them different), but the rest of the unique tracks are nothing short of amazing. Each one of them.

Undoubtedly one of his most refined works, and to think the full album is sequenced/MIDI only adds to the legend. In this album's case, I contend technical limitation was actually a godsend.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramza View Post
Plenty of us think Hamauzu is one of the most intellectual composers out there. His music stirs the mind, and it is very much of the impressionist era (though, strangely, I asked Hamauzu and he didn't recognize the names "Debussy" or "Ravel" ...)
I'm curious in what context you mentioned them? According to his interview at OSV from 2010, (http://www.originalsoundversion.com/...and-monomusik/), he said he's not well versed in their work and doesn't think he's particularly influenced by them, but he's certainly aware of them (which he'd have to be - you can't major in music at the university level and not encounter their names!).
Old Dec 7, 2016, 07:45 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychonotes View Post
I'm curious in what context you mentioned them? According to his interview at OSV from 2010, (http://www.originalsoundversion.com/...and-monomusik/), he said he's not well versed in their work and doesn't think he's particularly influenced by them, but he's certainly aware of them (which he'd have to be - you can't major in music at the university level and not encounter their names!).
That's pathetic that I never saw that. Considering I still do work for OSV and am good friends with Jayson.

I asked Hamauzu about Debussy and Ravel backstage at a VGO concert in ... 2011 or 2012, I can't remember the year now exactly? I don't know if my time with him translated into an interview. I think it might have, though not sure for which publication.

But yeah, when I asked, and the answer I got back from the translator, he said he "wasn't familiar with them." But I suppose his answer meant, in-depth, what you cited: that he didn't really listen to them (and thus wasn't influenced by them), but yeah, he knows who they are.

Well that's good to know, at any rate. Still, I kind of want to call him crazy for NOT listening to them. Soooooo good.

And seriously, that arrangement of Besaid Island on FFX piano very much reminds me of Book I Prelude 5 from Debussy, "Les collines d'Anacapri: Très modéré"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xjgsbz3ERhI (11:33)