VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sep 6, 2013, 05:30 PM

Joshua was kind enough to fill in the blanks and provide additional details. Good guesses, guys

I left the composer for the Rage Racer track as unknown. Mobygames credits Hiroshi Okubo and Tetsukazu Nakanishi as the music composers, but the Wikipedia says Okubo was just the director, without backing it up.

Also, I contributed with my particular take on the "CLASSIFICATION WARS" :P

Last edited by Lashiec; Sep 6, 2013 at 05:36 PM.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lashiec View Post
I left the composer for the Rage Racer track as unknown. Mobygames credits Hiroshi Okubo and Tetsukazu Nakanishi as the music composers, but the Wikipedia says Okubo was just the director, without backing it up.
Sounds about right, I would believe that, given the Rage Racer soundtrack is rather short; but I stopped trusting Wikipedia about a decade ago.

Quote:
Also, I contributed with my particular take on the "CLASSIFICATION WARS" :P
Normally I would tell otherwise, but after listening to this for the umpteenth time, Drift slithers into that classification. So yeah, I am agree with you. *snicker*
Old Sep 6, 2013, 06:33 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Nakanishi composed "Stimulation" and Okubo composed "Rage Racer" and "Silver Stream," so both wrote music for the game.

My guess is that "Deep Drive" is Okubo's, but I'm really bad at guessing composers so the opposite is probably true. It's also the best track from the game <333333
Old May 15, 2014, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHz View Post
Nakanishi composed "Stimulation" and Okubo composed "Rage Racer" and "Silver Stream," so both wrote music for the game.

My guess is that "Deep Drive" is Okubo's, but I'm really bad at guessing composers so the opposite is probably true. It's also the best track from the game <333333
Just getting around to this issue now myself, triggered by the fact that synthesitech recently posted "Game Over" on youtube and credited it as Nakanishi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXbmStUPuG0

I posted a comment there as you can see, and someone else replied, but for some reason their comment isn't appearing. It said:

Quote:
Well when I ripped the redbook audio from my PlayStation disc it automatically tagged the songs with each individual composer. Maybe synthesitech did the same thing *shrugs*
Quite where they fetched their tags from I'm not sure, because freedb in foobar2000 isn't bringing up anything.

I seem to remember synthesitech uploaded "Deep Drive" some time ago too (maybe on his previous account which was banned) and he credited it to Okubo. So CHz you were right about that, if it is correct :P

(hm, this discussion would be better on a Rage Racer product entry!)
Old May 15, 2014, 09:56 AM
VGMdb Administrator

It's been a long while since I ended up on a synthesitech upload so I don't really remember the details, but I know in the past I've been vexed by where they got specific composer info for Rage Racer and at least one other game, if indeed they were getting it from somewhere other than their own brain!
Old Jun 8, 2014, 06:32 AM

from the RR 20th anniversary album booklet

http://i.imgur.com/M6vxgFT.jpg

took that with my webcam, sorry.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 12:10 PM
VGMdb Administrator

FASCINATING
Old Jun 9, 2014, 04:52 AM

Wow, thank you for that another mystery solved.

How fun that Deep Drive turned out to be Nakanishi. Remind me never to trust synthesitech's credits from now on :P

It also turns out that I'm missing the opening music. I guess it's part of the FMV sequence rather than a separate audio file.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 11:10 AM

I'll go ahead and mention that the booklet also lists

Ridge Racer
Ridge Racer 2
Rave Racer
Ridge Racer Type 4
Ridge Racer 5
Ridge Racers
Ridge Racer 6
Ridge Racers 2
Ridge Racer 7
Ridge Racer 3D
Ridge Racer (vita)
R: Racing Evolution
Ridge Racer Unbounded

there's more info as well, but a bunch of it is in japanese.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 12:22 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz Lunar View Post
It also turns out that I'm missing the opening music. I guess it's part of the FMV sequence rather than a separate audio file.
How many songs do you have? If you have 16, then you probably only have the CD audio, so you're missing 4 pieces.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 10:43 AM

16 from the CD audio and one PSF :P what are the other three?
Old Jun 10, 2014, 12:59 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Ah. The other three songs are in FMVs, like you guessed. Assuming I've got them tagged correctly with that booklet, they're "Opening," "Result," and "End Credits."

The three tracks not represented in the booklet should be the three from the CD audio that have the non-musical voiceovers.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 02:37 AM

Bah, you mean to say that two of my favourite songs from the game (High Score Screen and Victory) are still uncredited?

99% sure they're Nakanishi fwiw, but that still irritates me haha.

Last edited by Blitz Lunar; Jun 13, 2014 at 03:02 AM.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 12:40 PM
VGMdb Administrator

It's all dependent on me having correctly identified the songs, naturally. When I was done, the three leftovers happened to be the three with the voices, so I chose to take that as a good sign.

The last two ("too bad, you blew it" & "incredible, nobody can catch you") are pretty clearly Nakanishi, but I wasn't sure about the other one.

Here's how I tagged, for what it's worth:

Spoiler:

(Titles for tracks 14~16 clearly not official, just carried over from somewhere)
Old Jun 15, 2014, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHz View Post
It's all dependent on me having correctly identified the songs, naturally. When I was done, the three leftovers happened to be the three with the voices, so I chose to take that as a good sign.

The last two ("too bad, you blew it" & "incredible, nobody can catch you") are pretty clearly Nakanishi, but I wasn't sure about the other one.

Here's how I tagged, for what it's worth:

Spoiler:

(Titles for tracks 14~16 clearly not official, just carried over from somewhere)
Yeah looks about the same as mine, aside from a slightly different order, and having no #01, #16 or #17 (and putting those others as #99s)