VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Animation Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 5, 2010, 04:04 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Default Organizing the addition of anime albums

This thread will do for now, pending a restructuring of the discussion forums (most likely I'll move artist/organization/event discussion up one forum level). I'll also have to modify the code to create discussion threads for albums in the appropriate parent forum.

Anyway, since anime album submissions are rapidly increasing, here's where we attempt to bring some order to the process. Ideally, submissions should be made by people who own a physical copy of the album for maximum accuracy, since that's one of the main goals of this site. Not to say that you can't piece together information from online research, if you can demonstrate that you've done the homework.

To start off, I'll be calling dibs on the Ah! My Goddess franchise, since I own most of the albums. Compiling a list soon.
Old May 6, 2010, 12:57 AM
Trusted Editor

I just wanted to say that I really like the new anime additions to the DB, especially since this increases the amount of Yoko Kanno albums a _lot_!
Old May 6, 2010, 01:16 AM

Location: Heaven? No no, what's that other place that starts with H? Oh yes, home. :-)

I'm very pleased that VGM/AMdb is headed this direction. Can't wait to see how it develops and what new people it'll attract.

One man was smart, he felt smart. Two men were smart, they smelt farrr...darn it! I'll never get it right.

What is "the box" that people are supposed to think outside of anyway? Hmm. Maybe it's similar to the Borg from Star Trek who dwelled as a collective hive-mind within a...box/cube. Those that deviated from this hive-mind would, in effect, be thinking outside of the box. it has both a figurative and a literal meaning.
Old May 6, 2010, 01:52 AM

I'm stoked.
I don't legitimately own any anime releases unfortunately so my help will be somewhat limited, but I'll try and pitch in where I can. I'm also trying to get hold of a big list of releases from someone. I'll post here if/when I do.
Old May 6, 2010, 08:22 AM

Haha, I feel like I gave it a small push for people to add more. I know it already had like ~980 before, though. I hope it spreads out to more people to help out, though.

With so many not here, it'd be a hassle for a limited amount of people to be the only submitters, but I guess for completeness sake, it may be hard for that. I'm looking forward to seeing how this changes vgmdb (even if it upsets the enthusiast diehard vgm fans around (lol)).
Old May 6, 2010, 08:50 AM
VGMdb Administrator

We are going to be very busy once the word gets around that we are populating the anime albums. I think that staff and experienced submitters are going to have to provide some mentoring for new submitters. Maybe it makes sense to coordinate that here so that we aren't all sending Private Messages to the same member.

The crux of this is quickly identifying those who are good and making them better, while weeding out those who don't have the mettle, and asking them to sit on the sidelines, at least until most of the popular stuff is done.

I also want to add a couple of new staff members who are devoted to anime music.
Old May 6, 2010, 12:45 PM
VGMdb Advisor

I'm all for more anime albums but I just hope the focus of this site doesn't become so anime that vgm contributions halt...

It may be worth to alter a little the color for promo+anime btw. And some warning/guidelines to new users about romaji/english tracklists taken indiscriminately from the interwebs (not only because of quality concerns, but also permissions and stuff).
Old May 6, 2010, 01:02 PM

I was thinking about that last night. I don't know if this is possible, but I had an idea where if you go to vgmdb.net it would list only game related sountracks. If you go to another url (some animeost related one, obviously) it would only list anime related soundtracks. It would be the same site, but with different default filters on each url. Again, no idea if this is possible just an idea I had.

Now as for submissions, I'm all for quality control, but where do you draw the line? Do you want accuracy down to the composer, arranger etc. (The basic stuff) Or do you want it down to who did flutes on track 17?
Old May 6, 2010, 01:35 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Or do you want it down to who did flutes on track 17?
If the information is given, clearly yes. Flute players are also artists who deserve recognition. (and it's very interesting, too!) Because of the huge amount of albums (and lacking information namely booklet scans) there're always the ones with incomplete artists lists, but that's the way things go, be it due to ignorance of the japanese language, missed entries or other reasons.
Old May 6, 2010, 01:39 PM

I can understand why some people find that information useful, but it's all about priorities to me. I don't think that information should be considered mandatory and while there is no rules saying it is, it certainly feels that way.
Old May 6, 2010, 01:39 PM

Yeah, providing as much credit and information on an album as you can is encouraged.
Old May 6, 2010, 02:57 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Eventually we'd want information filters on the album page level as well.
Old May 6, 2010, 03:20 PM

Talk about a sudden stream of anime soundtracks out of nowhere. Guess this gives me a reason to stick around the office to scan the albums that I do have and I'm really looking forward to this taking off.

The biggest thing that I'm struggling with is the notes section since it's never clear sometimes how it should be formatted (and for that matter, I don't know Japanese) so a bit of guidance there could be useful. I've mostly been looking at other albums in the database and using that as a guideline, but if there's a method that should be followed, let me know so I don't pick up any bad submission habits.
Old May 6, 2010, 03:34 PM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzeroparticle View Post
The biggest thing that I'm struggling with is the notes section since it's never clear sometimes how it should be formatted (and for that matter, I don't know Japanese) so a bit of guidance there could be useful. I've mostly been looking at other albums in the database and using that as a guideline, but if there's a method that should be followed, let me know so I don't pick up any bad submission habits.
There's no particular formatting you need to follow for the notes field, typically one can just go by how the credits are listed in the booklet and type them out to mirror the formatting used - which would account for the variation between entries. And if there's something you can't add because it's in Japanese you can make a post in the album thread and perhaps someone else will be able to do it.

Blah: How should we classify Image albums? As far as I can see we need a new option for this since none of the existing ones feel quite right.

Last edited by seanne; May 6, 2010 at 03:37 PM.
Old May 6, 2010, 06:00 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag View Post
I'm all for more anime albums but I just hope the focus of this site doesn't become so anime that vgm contributions halt...

It may be worth to alter a little the color for promo+anime btw. And some warning/guidelines to new users about romaji/english tracklists taken indiscriminately from the interwebs (not only because of quality concerns, but also permissions and stuff).
I worry about this too, especially for all the people who use the site, but don't read the forums or pay attention to the front page. They might see it as a gradual degradation if they don't understand how to use the filters. I agree on your other concerns too. We'll want to keep our quality high here, and prevent all the weeabo translations from corrupting our info.

What color modifications are you recommending? I'm not a big fan of the Anime Green, though I don't really like the Doujin Brown either.
Old May 6, 2010, 06:02 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzeroparticle View Post
There's no standard. Most of us have our own styles, but it's good as long as it presents the information neatly and directly. I usually do things like this.
Old May 7, 2010, 02:26 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I was thinking further about this, since I woke up early and couldn't fall back asleep.

I think we need to preserve our brands, and keep the presentation of VGMdb separated from VGMdb-Anime, but yet under the same umbrella. This really boils down to having separate front pages with separate filters.

Guests who visit the VGMdb front page will only see updates and news about the VGM portion of the site. Likewise, visitors to VGMdb-Anime only see anime stuff. The filters are set in each spot to exclude everything else.

Content is not duplicated. A VGM visitor and an Anime visitor see the same album pages, etc. Discographies and Labels are never filtered, so visitors can eventually work their way onto pages from other genres. It should hopefully be clear that these won't show up in searches or on the frontpage.

However, album search results and album browsing are still filtered just like now, but your filter is based on which site "portal" you visited last. You just have two filters now, one for VGMdb and one for VGMdb-anime (and we could further restrict it, so that only the category is duplicated, but the rest of the settings are shared.) You can modify these as you wish, and can turn on the anime albums at VGMdb if you'd like. The default when you start as a new user though, should just be VGM.

There may be some flaws in this idea, so we should discuss it more.
Old May 7, 2010, 02:30 AM

Location: Heaven? No no, what's that other place that starts with H? Oh yes, home. :-)

Quote:
I think we need preserve our brands, and keep the presentation of VGMdb separated from VGMdb-Anime, but yet under the same umbrella. This really boils down to having separate front pages with separate filters.
LOL. Bad timing for the thread that I just posted about a new site header. Time for KeyLogic to do some more tweaking.

One man was smart, he felt smart. Two men were smart, they smelt farrr...darn it! I'll never get it right.

What is "the box" that people are supposed to think outside of anyway? Hmm. Maybe it's similar to the Borg from Star Trek who dwelled as a collective hive-mind within a...box/cube. Those that deviated from this hive-mind would, in effect, be thinking outside of the box. it has both a figurative and a literal meaning.
Old May 7, 2010, 02:40 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Yeah, to build upon SS' idea, here's what I'm thinking for the homepage - split it into

http://vgmdb.net/game
http://vgmdb.net/anime
http://vgmdb.net/home (for agnostics)

This is the perfect time to get rid of our smelly /db/main.php address, too.
Old May 7, 2010, 03:46 AM

OK, here's the large list of anime-related releases I mentioned. hopefully useful to people. it will certainly take a long time to add all these...

http://www.shakal.net/lunar/temp/animeosts.txt
Old May 7, 2010, 03:54 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Is that Sonryu's list? It's got about 7000 entries. I'll throw out there that I think that once you count everything the way we do for VGM, there will be at least 20,000 entries.

That estimate is still a little low, given that we've got around 16,000 VGM entries, and anime music has been around longer.
Old May 7, 2010, 04:11 AM

That list is huge. Is that someones collection? but yes there is a lot to add. Especially when you consider all those OPs and EDs, too.
Old May 7, 2010, 05:47 AM

SS: yeah I realise it isn't all the anime albums ever, but it's a starting point, ne?
Old May 7, 2010, 08:37 AM

I'm upset by this new initiative!

(joke aside, have fun working on this guys!)
Old May 7, 2010, 08:57 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigablah View Post
Yeah, to build upon SS' idea, here's what I'm thinking for the homepage - split it into

http://vgmdb.net/game
http://vgmdb.net/anime
http://vgmdb.net/home (for agnostics)

This is the perfect time to get rid of our smelly /db/main.php address, too.
Have you thought about giving doujin its own portal? I think we already have quite a few people who have little interest in this part of the database, as well as many who are mainly interested in it. I personally see vgm, anime and doujin (especially when you consider the j-core stuff we list) as three equally separate subcategories.
Old May 8, 2010, 01:42 AM
VGMdb Advisor

I like the multiple homepages idea a lot, specially if you separate filters (say I have filters on but I want to quickly check an anime album without tweaking them, I could use the anime homepage).

And maybe now it's a good time to look into per-track credits, before +10000 anime albums are added and you have to go back and 'fix' them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
What color modifications are you recommending? I'm not a big fan of the Anime Green, though I don't really like the Doujin Brown either.
I guess darker/variation of yellow or such so people without filters can tell anime promos apart. But on a second thought there are too many colors already, and new anime visitors may be confused by the Anime Green. Perhaps we could discuss colors along with the current release types.
Old May 8, 2010, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanne View Post
Have you thought about giving doujin its own portal? I think we already have quite a few people who have little interest in this part of the database, as well as many who are mainly interested in it. I personally see vgm, anime and doujin (especially when you consider the j-core stuff we list) as three equally separate subcategories.
I think it's something that's more or less planned (or at least the idea was floating around when I asked Blah about it last October,) but it's something that they want to do in stages, so that the amount of submissions doesn't get too overwhelming all at once. Though, I don't know how much of an increase of submissions we would get if we officially accepted doujin work, the big thing is the inclusion of anime, which we are now experiencing.
Old May 9, 2010, 01:14 AM

after AcidBeasts suggestion I think I should ask you about the submissions for american produced animation series/films.

Are we allowed to add them to the database?
Old May 10, 2010, 07:24 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I'm not sure about the answer to this question. It depends on what anime music fans want, once we build up a community here. For now, I think we should stick with non-mainstream Western stuff (i.e., Moomins is fine, but don't add all the Disney/Pixar albums until we have defined our role.)
Old May 10, 2010, 07:29 AM

I agree with holding off on the mainstream Western stuff. Actually, I'd rather it wasn't on vgmdb at all. If it does get added though, I think we would need a seperate category for it because I and I'm sure many others would want to filter it out.