VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:47 PM

Oh joy! DW 8 OST. xD I can't wait to see what kind of new things they've implemented into the music. I wonder what it'll be? More solos and riffs? Lengthier Songs? Better compositions? Hopefully all of which I mentioned times 10. and wow! =O It's four Discs long. Definitely the biggest DW OST release, yet? Or atleast, to my knowledge, it is. LOL :P let us pray that this will be the best DW OST up-to-date. We can only hope for the best, I guess.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:29 AM

Wow, this is pretty weird because just last night I was listening to Racing Lagoon, and the first disc wasn't really doing it for me (I'll go back and give it another chance), so I switched to Shin Sangokumusou 5. I'm a little behind, I know. But, wow, I enjoyed the heck out of the music on that soundtrack. I have to say that Kensuke Inage is my hero. Every single song he did on DW6 were keepers, and two of my absolute favorites off the soundtrack came from him (Ultimate Pressure and Geniuses' Sanctuaries, the other favorite was The Two Heroes by MASA).

I guess before I look forward to DW8, I need to listen to DW7, but anyway, this post comes at a very coincidental time for me. If I have anything to hope for from the later DW installments, it's that they actually don't lengthen the songs. I like that DW supplies succinct rock songs; they're catchy and energetic and fun and they do what they need to do without dragging on about it. And I honestly feel that every single soundtrack since the second one (DW3) has totally improved upon the last (since DW2 and DW3 had basically identical music). While everything up through DW5 have been fun rockin' VGM soundtracks, DW6 brings a polish to the genre that's just really impressive.

I find it amazing how I can listen to a song from the Chang Ban level, and it's a totally different composition from the last game, no borrowed phrases or anything, but at the same I can identify it immediately as Chang Ban's music. Without becoming repetitive, the musicians capture the essence of the story behind each level, and I love that about DW music. But aah, I'm kind of going on now, so I'll just say that I'm definitely looking forward to this soundtrack with you, Red Blazer!
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:56 PM

PM sent.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:58 PM

PM already sent back!

(I'm totally buying DW6 and listening to DW7 when I get the chance.)
Old Jan 20, 2013, 05:16 PM

I'm still catching up with the series (played some of DW2 two-three years ago, and played DW3 the last two year). The fact that I've been constantly moving the last few years (having my PS2 in Estonia where I live, but studying in Norway 3/4 of the year; and then moving to US for college last fall) doesn't help much. As soon as I can afford myself a small screen or something that accepts my PAL PS2, I'll play Dynasty Warriors till I drop! In the meantime, I guess it's the perfect time to finish watching the 2010 Three Kingdoms series. :P So since I'm only familiar with DW2 and DW3 (they basically have the same soundtrack, though DW3 is much improved!), two of my best tracks are POWER & GLORY and THE MEN OF INTELLIGENCE (both are epic stages as well, especially the latter )
Old Jan 21, 2013, 04:42 PM

I have to go with YELLOW STORM and KILLING TIME, but I can't deny I like the tracks you named quite a bit. I think POWER & GLORY is the Chi Bi stage, right? It's been many, many years since I've played Dynasty Warriors 2, but I played Dynasty Warriors 4 a couple months ago actually, and CRY FOR WIND has the same riffs that POWER & GLORY has at 13 seconds in and I know for a fact that CRY FOR WIND is the Chi Bi stage. Aah, anyway, I'm going on about the games, but I like the songs you named too. For me, YELLOW STORM is darn-near unsurpassed by anything in any of the later games - not to say "they don't make DW music like they used to", but YELLOW STORM hits me just right, ahaha.

When it comes to those soundtracks, sometimes I like the DW2 version more than the DW3 version. A good example is OPPRESSION: I don't feel like it gained anything with all the extra guitar stuff they added, I liked the simplicity of the original one. POWER & GLORY is better somehow in DW3 though - probably just better mixing/mastering.

Yeah, I like me some Shin Sangokumusou music~

Last edited by Mortavia; Jan 21, 2013 at 05:41 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:26 PM

Here is a link to Shin Sangoku Musou 7 Website. There, you can listen to two songs from the game. Just go over to the bottom left and you'll see a playlist. Enjoy it! As I am.

http://www.gamecity.ne.jp/smusou7/#home
Old Feb 13, 2013, 04:09 PM

I'm REALLY sorry for double posting, but, I thought I'd let you guys and gals know that I put up a Front Cover for this soon-to-be released Album. Have a look at it and tell me what you think. It looks mighty cool, if you ask me. Hooray for the 30th anniversary for DW!! xD
Old Feb 13, 2013, 04:13 PM
Trusted Editor

It sucks... a lot.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 02:36 PM

...Anyways, I've edited in some notes about this Album, have a look at it, please.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 06:00 PM

Sorry for the double post, once again, but, I've added a track listing, have a look at it.

EDIT: If possible, can someone please translate the track listing? I'd very much like to know what they say.

Last edited by Red Blazer; Feb 26, 2013 at 06:06 PM.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 02:14 PM

Hey, I made it about halfway through translating the first disc, and then I realized: this is the first SSM soundtrack I've seen that didn't have the titles in English. So, I looked at the CDJapan page we have linked, and it appears there's a tracklist in English alongside the tracklist in Japanese. What's odd about it though is that it seems to reuse some track names where the song isn't the same. So, I did a little bit of looking and came across this page. It seems CDJapan has the English names in the wrong order. Right now, it's too early to verify anything, but you can still use that page for your own personal uses, until we know enough to submit one tracklist or another.

I think that for now I'll stop translating, since I have a feeling there will probably be an official English tracklist one day, and with actual song names instead of "The Battle of Hu Lao Gate", "The Yellow Turban Rebellion", "Selection Screen" etc like what I'm getting when I translate. I hope this helps!
Old Mar 7, 2013, 04:20 PM

I just got the original a few minutes ago. An English track list is provided in the liner notes.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 04:50 PM

Oh good! Would you mind adding it to this entry? Or, if you can confirm that the tracklist matches up with the website I found, I wouldn't mind adding it, if you don't feel like doing it.

By the way, congratulations on your new soundtrack! If you get around to listening to it someday (which I understand can take a while), you can let us know how much you like it.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 08:10 PM

Yeah, congrats on getting the OST to DW8, Jodo! I'm happy for you.

Say, the re-used songs from previous DW games...are they...remixed in any way, shape or form? I know Thousand Suns, Arena and The King of Sadness got remixed, but, what about the other songs? Pretty please tell me whenever you get the chance to, OK? I downloaded a GameRip of DW8 and I heard a bunch of songs that are pulled straight out of other DW Games. On the GameRip, these songs weren't remixed...maybe they are on the Official Soundtrack? Once again, whenever you get the chance to, pretty please let me know.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 08:12 AM

I added the English track list and the last track on disc 3 is incomplete, due to the kanji before ~CIRCUIT~. It's the only track on the 4 disc set with kanji as part of the English title.

The last time I seriously listened to the Dynasty Warriors series was back in '03 or '04. I haven't yet listened to DW 5, 6, or 7. I love the series' music and this album has some songs I clearly recognize (they are changed slightly from previous versions) and I'm still on disc 1. I don't understand why someone rated this a 2.5. I'll probably end up giving it a 4.0 or 4.5 when I'm done. Everything sounds crisp and clean - the mastering is very good.

The liner notes do break down who composed each track and I might have time to make scans next weekend (if someone doesn't do so in the meanwhile). My schedule is full for a while.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 07:03 AM
VGMdb Administrator

From Smallsea:
Old Nov 28, 2013, 01:25 AM

I assigned Masaaki Honma and removed the kanji for his name. I hope I did all of that correctly :S I also made a few fixes to the notes field; CIRCUIT, which is track 24, was marked as track 22, so I fixed the track 22 credits that were linked to that. It seems to be correct now (I didn't scan for any other errors though).
Old Aug 16, 2022, 09:48 AM

It seems mora is selling a version of this album with less tracks. Paying more to have less sucks, but that's what I'll have to do.
last.fm | Discord: Dark Slayer#8440
Old Aug 26, 2022, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilef View Post
It seems mora is selling a version of this album with less tracks. Paying more to have less sucks, but that's what I'll have to do.
Compared to the initial CD release, you're getting both more and less.
The digital edition of this album is taken from discs 15-18 the ω-Force 20th Anniversary Complete CD-BOX rather than the SS7 OST Complete release.
All the digital storefront Warriors albums are sourced from the 20th Anniversary Box because the playlists have been de-duplicated to strip out any repeats and reprises (which the SS7 soundtrack is full of).

So compared to the initial CD release of the SS7 OST, you're missing these tracks (which can be found on the respective initial release albums listed in parentheses)
Spoiler:
INTERCEPTOR (SS3)
AGAINST ALL ODDS (SS)
IGNITION (SS5)
THE WOMAN FROM HELL (SS5)
THE WALL OF FATE (SS3)
GREAT RED SPIRIT (SS4)
ENDLESS FIGHT (SS2)
ORIENTAL RUSH (SS5)
A GREAT GIANT (SS5)
CHAOTIC FIELD (SS5)
GAIN MOMENTUM (SS5)
HEAVY GAUGE (SS3)
CREST OF THIRST
TROPICAL WARS (SS5)
DESPERATE SCHEME (SS3)
CALM TROPICS (SS5 Empires)
CIRCUIT (SS2)
STRUGGLE FOR EXISTENCE (SS3)
MY BAD FELLOW (SS3)
THE MEN OF INTELLIGENCE (SS2)

BUT you've gained all these tracks, which were added to the SS7 discs as part of the 20th Anniversary Box
Spoiler:
+ THE EPIC
+ THE WORLD BORN AGAIN
+ LIKE A DANCER
+ SYNC CHORDS
+ IN THE WONDERLAND -Daytime-
+ IN THE WONDERLAND -Night-
+ WARFARE -Daytime-
+ WARFARE -Night-
+ MECHANICAL WORLD -Daytime-
+ MECHANICAL WORLD -Night-
+ EVERLASTING SUMMER -Daytime-
+ EVERLASTING SUMMER -Night-
+ NOSTALGIA -Daytime-
+ NOSTALGIA -Night-

Another more apparent example is with the digital version of SS6 Moushouden, which is missing two tracks (CRUSH'EM ALL and GLORY) compared to the CD version. They first appeared on SS6 OST Complete.

I get why they did it this way, but yeah, it sucks and it's frustrating because the sourcing isn't apparent unless you know what you're looking for.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 12:40 AM

Thank you very much for all this information, Judge Ito! I'm playing the Xtreme Legends Complete Edition on PS4, but I've yet to hear tracks from older entries: I initially believed they would have been remixed, or rearranged for DW8… if they're mere copy->paste, that puts my mind at ease.
I've some choice words for a person who apparently tried to rip me off, if you'll excuse me… have a good day and thanks again.
last.fm | Discord: Dark Slayer#8440