VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 22, 2013, 07:40 PM

Default If you like A...

There are lots of "recomendation" systems out there to suggest music you'd probably enjoy based on some song you like (Pandora, iTunes Store, etc.), but I have yet to encounter one for video game music. I figured this was a good place to start a thread in that vein for people looking for music that sounds like something else (if you like A, you'd probably like B), partly to keep this from happening to other people and partly because I have a few of my own for which I'd like suggestions.

1. Castlevania: Curse of Darkness. Specifically things like "Abandoned Castle" and "Eneomaos Machine Tower". That sort of dark, new-age-y, rockish, classical kind of vibe.

2. We Are ROCK-MEN! I haven't found much with that same synth-y hard rock sound to it, at least not with as catchy of melodies.

3. Zero no Kiseki. I realize there are probably 100 JDK Band albums with exactly the same sound to them, but I haven't found them. Even Ys Foliage in Celceta doesn't have quite the same sound. Maybe that one's exclusive to ZnK.

4. Symphonic Suite Dragon Quest, Orchestral Game Concert, Actraiser Symphonic Suite, etc. Basically vgm performed by a live orchestra but that's actually melodic and interesting. (I've heard a lot of ochestral vgm which is neither.)

Any suggestions?
Old May 24, 2013, 05:27 AM
Trusted Editor

I'm really bad at giving musical recommendations but the easiest way to find more of what you like is to simply listen to more of the artist that wrote it. also, the "abandoned castle" track sounds kinda like Motoi Sakuraba's rock stuff, so you may want to check that out.
Old May 24, 2013, 09:58 AM

I was interested in finding something that sounded like Soldam:
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm9174231

I picked up Magical Chase and that is similar. Old-school poppy happy pixelated sounds. Anyone have further suggestions?
Old May 24, 2013, 10:35 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Anyone know of anything similar to Silent Hill 2? (Besides that of Yamaoka himself, or anything by kt2.)
Old May 24, 2013, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissident93 View Post
I'm really bad at giving musical recommendations but the easiest way to find more of what you like is to simply listen to more of the artist that wrote it. also, the "abandoned castle" track sounds kinda like Motoi Sakuraba's rock stuff, so you may want to check that out.
That's actually exactly why I"m asking. I haven't heard much from Yamane other than Castlevania, ROCK-MEN didn't exist until a year or so ago, I've heard nothing from Sugiyama other than Dragon Quest, etc. I heard Ni no Kuni the other night and a few tracks there seem to meet the "orchestral but not mind-numbing" criteria, but only a few. I'd like to fill a CD with a variety of different orchestral things, if possible.