VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Nov 12, 2008, 05:56 PM
VGMdb Advisor

I don't think this album really exists. I think it's a mislabeling on CD Japan, Play-Asia, and other sites. For example...

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-...en-70-7hg.html

Play-Asia lists it as SVWC-7313. But look at their own front cover! The obi says SVWC-7201. I think this is some sort of weird duplicate listing...

Anyone know the deal with this?
Old Nov 12, 2008, 06:04 PM
VGMdb Administrator

http://d-m.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/20...7313_cca0.html

That page says SVWC-7201 was the original version with Label Gate copy protection, and afterwards it was replaced with SVWC-7313 with the copy protection removed.

More information here:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/10...py-control_cd/

So there could be more releases that have had their numbers changed.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 06:53 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Interesting...

What seems strange to me is that they were willing to re-do the catalog number for the print that doesn't have Label Gate ... but they left the print/release date the same on that release.

Can we merge SVWC-7201 and SVWC-7313 on VGMdb and explain in the notes that the only difference between the releases is the Label Gate thing?

Ramza

PS - nice, quick find on that one Giga.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 07:10 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I've hooked the two albums up and put in a note about Label Gate.

Was the cover art actually modified for SVWC-7313, or is one of the images incorrect?
Old Nov 13, 2008, 08:02 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Interesting!! Great info from both Ramza and Blah, I wasn't aware of the link between these.

It seems they would HAVE to make a new cat number for the modified release though, since the disc itself had to be completely remade to not have the LabelGate contained on it, so that's quite reasonable (even for internal purposes) to have a new number identifying the new batch of discs.

The unchanged release date might have been lazyness though, or it might have been their way of marking it as a "replacement" for the old version.

Last edited by Carl; Nov 13, 2008 at 08:06 AM.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 05:59 PM
VGMdb Administrator

If you look at the NTCP reprints of the PSCN Squaresoft albums (by Pryaid Records), all the release dates are unchanged as well.

Although it's more plausible that they just intended to silently replace the old version since they dropped the copy protection only 5 months after it was released.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 07:44 PM

Sorry, I'm bumping this old thread to have a consensus on cases like this. I'm fine with being faithful to how the scan states, but when it's obvious the reprint wasn't released on Jun 23, 2004, my personal preference is to go with the actual date, and that's the way we handled other Aniplex copyable reprints such as Stella Deus or SMTIII Maniacs extra version. I know there are some exceptions like this entry or Tenchu Kurenai, though, so I want to be at least consistent.

According to this article, Oct 26, 2005 was the replacement date of all the four reprints (+ SVWC-1024 which we don't add to the database yet).
Old Jun 17, 2010, 01:05 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I missed this discussion in the past, but I agree with using the actual replacement date now that we know it.