VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jul 8, 2009, 03:31 PM

Hehehe, I did not noticed until today, but the product apparently is missing the Boss Theme from the Sigma's Castle (Rockman 1, in the disc 1)

So, I wonder what more is missing in this product.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 08:03 PM

Isn't it "Vava 2"? You first hear it when you encounter Vile in the opening stage.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 09:29 PM

Yes, Vava 2 is also used as the boss themes for the Sigma Stages.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by layzee View Post
Yes, Vava 2 is also used as the boss themes for the Sigma Stages.
Ow then, thank you! ^^

Since the naming, I was expecting that one being latter the Sigmas satege tracks XD ... but since I did not see a name alike around, I tough that. Thank you for the aclaration! ^^
Old Jul 14, 2009, 09:01 PM

There's still a laundry list of missing tracks / other problems with this set.

Disc 1
37: Contains sound effects -- may be "hardcoded" into the song, though
45: Contains boss thunder sound effect
48: Part of the intro is missing
60: Contains sound effect of Zero's energy bar filling up
Missing "Get a Weapon" theme from Rockman X2
Missing "Cain's Lab" theme from Rockman X2, which is really a loop of "Opening"

Disc 2
1: Contains sound effects (intro text scrolling)
2: Contains title screen sound effects
7: Contains boss thunder sound effect
13: Contains sound effect of Rockman teleporting in
16: Missing drum intro
Missing SNES "Get a Weapon" and "Dr. Cain" themes
68: This is really the "Get a Weapon" theme

There was something mentioned somewhere (with regards to the TEAM Entertainment release of Rockman 7) that a lot of the original material and/or equipment used for SNES tracks has been lost, so Rockman X1-X3 having this many problems is somewhat understandable.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 10:05 AM

In a recent interview by Chris at SEMO (thanks Chris!), Yoshino Aoki states the following:
Quote:
That's right, you know a lot about my work! However, I didn't actually compose the original score, but just arranged the previous Super Nintendo version for the PlayStation adaptation. Though there was no technical limitation like the Super Nintendo, I put my best efforts into this work.
http://www.squareenixmusic.com/featu...hinoaoki.shtml

I am not sure where Aoki was originally credited (snesmusic.org?), but I can say for sure that the Mega Man X3 (SNES, NA version) ending doesn't feature a staff roll, so there's no way to confirm anyone.

However, even if she were credited, the situation above could still make sense given the PSX and SAT ports of MMX3 were released only 5 months after the original SNES launch in Japan. What I'm basically saying is: even if her name were somehow in the SNES game's (nonexistent?) credits, she may have been already working on arranging the music for the ports, and hence was included as part of the sound team even if she never composed anything.

So, I think we should remove Aoki as a composer, since this album represents the SNES version of the game.

It's nice to finally have this mystery solved. It drove me nuts trying to figure out which track Aoki could have possibly composed, because nothing sounds even remotely like her style!
Old Jan 2, 2010, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
So, I think we should remove Aoki as a composer, since this album represents the SNES version of the game.
(sigh.....)

The arrange version is also on here - on the same disc no less; they're equally represented. I guess that explains why no one before me bothered to make such an obvious edit regarding Shusaku's role in the arrange version.

Regardless, excellent work on uncovering this tidbit. And yes, Aoki should be in the arrange section; Shusaku as well.

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Jan 3, 2010 at 03:06 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 06:38 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I've finally updated the album to reflect the new research. Nice work.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 05:33 PM

After this discovery, I noticed more than ever that Uchiyama, like Aoki, appeared to have done nothing during the 16-bit era. It might very well be the case that Uchiyama had nothing to do with the original compositions either. Just an assumption, but it feels so right.

http://snesmusic.org/v2/select.php?v...char=S&limit=0
http://snesmusic.org/v2/select.php?v...char=Y&limit=0
Old Jan 31, 2010, 02:37 PM

I figured I post these quotes from the Mega Man X Official Complete Works about the music of X2:

Sho Tsuge: "The person in charge of the background music [taking this to be Yuki Iwai] came to us saying, 'I finished the music for the last boss.' So a few of us went in with the project leader to listen to the new music, and we all agreed, although it was good, it just didn't sound like 'last boss' music. That's when the software guy quietly suggested that we make it the ending theme. It was true that music had more of an 'ending' feel to it, so the arrangement was changed up a bit and really did end up being the ending theme for the game."

So, track 64 "Ending" was originally ment to fullfill track 62 ("Sigma 2nd") shoes. The creation of what became "Sigma 2nd" probably followed this decision.

Sho Tsuge: "The music for [Flame] Stag's stage was quite popular among the team members, and when they found out I wanted to cut it, I was verbally thrashed. As an interesting coincidence, 'X-Men' for the Super NES was also being developed at the same time as 'X2,' and I heard the main planner on that team tried to cut the music for Psylocke's Stage, which was a team favorite, and was simularly scolded by their team. I guess we planners stick together and make the same mistakes..."

This quote is thick with irony considering the very beginning of the track is cut off in soundtrack box....

Interesting stuff. I know it's an artbook but I wish there was a bit more about the music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Ito View Post

Disc 1
37: Contains sound effects -- may be "hardcoded" into the song, though
I don't think this is the case, can help but think the SPC set is free of the text typing, same w/X3's opening.

Last edited by Brad Evans; Jan 31, 2010 at 02:40 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Evans View Post
I don't think this is the case, can help but think the SPC set is free of the text typing, same w/X3's opening.
By that I meant whatever playback method Capcom used to record the song used a sequence where the sound effects were unavoidable, or "hardcoded" into it. Whether that's because they made a high quality recording from the cartridge or some other type of direct synth from the game's code is questionable.

They were obviously not using SPC files.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:
They were obviously not using SPC files.
I know, but if an emulator and non-company personnel can derive the sound from the game without such hitches through reverse engineering, you'd think Capcom would be capable of doing the same thing. Point blank, I don't find the box's hitches as excusable as some do.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 05:39 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
I know, but if an emulator and non-company personnel can derive the sound from the game without such hitches through reverse engineering, you'd think Capcom would be capable of doing the same thing. Point blank, I don't find the box's hitches as excusable as some do.
It's Capcom you're talking, if they can't properly give composer breakdowns or even composers at all, how you think they can manage to do something like that. :P
Old Jan 31, 2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razakin View Post
It's Capcom you're talking, if they can't properly give composer breakdowns or even composers at all, how you think they can manage to do something like that. :P
You got me there. Really, you'd think they'd have a list of personel who worked on Rockman World titles. But no. That looks really crappy in credits when you have to admit "we have no clue who wrote this, sorry!"
Old Jan 31, 2010, 07:39 PM

1) Thanks for the quotes from the Complete Works book.
2)
Quote:
you'd think Capcom would be capable of doing the same thing.
You might think that, but that's just not how it works most of the time.

Different companies had different ways of composing music and getting it into the SNES. Just because a few enthusiasts have devised a format for easy listening and consumption of this music (SPC) does not mean it will be widely used or professionally accepted, nor would a company (except maybe Nintendo) have a similar emulation routine of its own to fall back on. Unless they talk about it in those untranslated liner notes, we don't know how these SNES recordings were sourced. I understand a lot of the original equipment used to make SNES songs was junked long ago. From a production standpoint, this is some ancient stuff that Suleputer/Capcom had to work with, so we could be dealing with:

* Archival recordings initially made alongside production of the game itself back in the 90s
* Simple line-in from a Super Famicom running a retail copy of the game
* Execution of game code, and all that it entails (sound effects), through a proper recording system
* ???

We just don't know. The point is, with so many variables, howevers and practicalities involved with releasing this music on a disc 10 years after the fact, a few hitches or foibles shouldn't be judged too harshly. If the whole thing had sounded like someone put a tape player up to a TV's speakers, then we'd have something to truly gripe about.

Also, I'm sorry if this sounds like I'm jumping down your throat. I'm not. It just seems that a lot of people take for granted what's involved in producing, preserving, and releasing older music like this.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Also, I'm sorry if this sounds like I'm jumping down your throat. I'm not. It just seems that a lot of people take for granted what's involved in producing, preserving, and releasing older music like this.
I have to admit it does (never said the SPC format should/would be professionally accepted, or that is should have been the basis for the music on the box) although I don't think you mean any malice. Still, you have to admit it's annoying when looking at the box as an entire product... outside those little hickups, it's a damn impressive item.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 07:20 AM

Wow, interesting talking you guys are having here... just about a little noises that the recording has (and they are not really that relevant... at least that is what I think)

Now, on the other sides, it is wonderful that people has been doing some work finding the composer for each game... but is too bad that Capcom to be too lazy to do not provide a complete composer breakdown (Because with the release of the Chiptuned rockman album they demostrated that they have the data... maybe just except from the World series what is just a big black hole there)

The information will eventually arise, but meanwhile the best way to discover it is if the composers get interviewed and asked about their composing participation... and I do not dub that there, somewhere in a hidden room is a role with all this precious information at Capcom.

But for now, the thing that most annoys me (after the composer breakdown) is that I'm not able to find anywhere the kanji for "Takuya Miyawaki", and I wonder if even that name has it.

----------

Never mind... I think I have found it: 宮脇拓也 ... but this may be wrong.

Last edited by Kadai; Feb 1, 2010 at 07:42 AM.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadai View Post
... maybe just except from the World series what is just a big black hole there)

Rockman World 2 was composed by Kenji Yamazaki. You can thank Splashman of the Mega Man Network for that one.

EDIT (02/25): After listening to Mercury Stage in Rockman World (especially about 33 seconds in), I can't help but think of the first few seconds of Hardman Stage from Rockman World 2. The games in-between (3 and 4) also have their similarities to 5 (and possibly 2). Rockman World 1 seems like the odd one out by this logic, due to its extreme simplicity.

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Feb 25, 2010 at 12:59 PM.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyubihanyou View Post
Rockman World 2 was composed by Kenji Yamazaki. You can thank Splashman of the Mega Man Network for that one.
Yeah, that's the only one I've heard of. Too bad the synth in that game is terrible... you really need to look at Yu/Yuu's work from the Phoenix project to for nice renditions of the compositions - which are good at their core.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 05:54 PM

In the credits for this, can't we credit 1-07 "Zero" to Setsuo Yamamoto because of the credits for Remastered Tracks Rockman Zero?
Old Feb 1, 2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:
In the credits for this, can't we credit 1-07 "Zero" to Setsuo Yamamoto because of the credits for Remastered Tracks Rockman Zero?
Yes, yes and more yes.

I would have found this sooner, but I never really got into the remastered tracks. Still, (cha-ching).
Old Feb 1, 2010, 08:30 PM

Another interesting fact: Anyone ever play X4 on the Saturn? The songs loop in it unlike the PSX versions (on the box) that have endings and restart. Also, "Eregion" has a different beginning, skip to 7:30 in the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I35Ai...eature=related
Old Feb 1, 2010, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyubihanyou View Post
Yes, I have seen that one long time ago also. And its kanji name is "山崎憲司" by the way.

But then, even that, there are other 4 titles that we are missing (composers, or either remixers) ... do not not say about the special stages (Wily Tower and others) that are included in the Mega Drive remake or the first 3 games.

I have not seen the credits myself, but a lot of people was awaiting some light on it with the release of the Chiptuned album... and then, nothing also.

But then, this is just maybe a theory... for all what I have seen so far of the structure on music credits... maybe (just maybe) the composer of all the rockman scores is actually the first listed name. Being the later just remixers or other things...

This may not be totally true, and I do not have anything to probe it, but I find it curious that Rockman 1, Rockman 2, Rockman 4 and Rockman X have that issue, and now with the Composing revelation for Rockman X3... its a big coincidence. And coincidences usually do not happen just like that.

Move investigation is always required

Last edited by Kadai; Feb 2, 2010 at 12:00 AM. Reason: *was missing rockman x*
Old Feb 2, 2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Another interesting fact: Anyone ever play X4 on the Saturn? The songs loop in it unlike the PSX versions (on the box) that have endings and restart. Also, "Eregion" has a different beginning, skip to 7:30 in the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I35Ai...eature=related
Nice find.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 04:45 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Should we leave Minakuchi Engineering Staff in the credits, since that's how Kinuyo Yamshita is credited?
Old Feb 2, 2010, 05:19 PM

Personally, I think the MES credit should be added to the notes. There's no sense in listing both Yamashita and MES in the composer field. I think the field should contain only Yamashita.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 05:23 PM
Trusted Editor

I would leave MES to the credits and make it/her as an alias for Yamashita, and make notification of that on the notes. Though, this depends how other albums are dealt with composers using aliases / common sound team names.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
Personally, I think the MES credit should be added to the notes. There's no sense in listing both Yamashita and MES in the composer field. I think the field should contain only Yamashita.
I would say leave MES in the composer field because it's the original information given in the box set. However, I'll totally admit that when I label my mp3's the MES credit goes "bye-bye" becuase I'll take a full-blown name over such an eyesore of an alias. For example, Akemi Kimura may be an alias but it's a name, unlike the mammoth MES.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 07:21 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Minakuchi Engineering Staff links through to Kinuyo Yamshita, so I'll just leave it and reverse the edit.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 11:23 AM

We really should bring this matter forward to Inti Creates, not Capcom. They proved on Chiptuned Rockman and Rockman Zero Remastered Tracks that they have access to the composer files for the Classic and X Series respectively, and they're closer to the fans musicwise. I see no reason for them to refuse (Ippo's on the inside after all, and he's got some secrets of his own regarding Rockman 7). Who's with me?

¡VIVA LA MEGALUCION! Do it for Mega Man 10!! Do it for the Green Biker Dude!!!!!!!

EDIT: ONE MORE THING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
Minakuchi Engineering Staff links through to Kinuyo Yamshita, so I'll just leave it and reverse the edit.
I know I made that alias edit, but that's just being redundant. I say the Minakuchi links and page go bye bye; we know her true name and the alias is properly listed for all time for all to see (with proof, no less), so why do we still have to be so stiff and inflexible about it? The notes section can easily fill in any and all of these gaps. The same can be said for Ogeretsu Kun and Akemi Kimura - is there a problem with unifying all the names and aliases of a composer under a single page [banner], or do you just loathe doing a little spring cleaning?

(ok I'm done)

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Feb 3, 2010 at 11:55 AM.