VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Aug 30, 2011, 12:48 PM

Post VIDEOGAME OST´s - LOOPING TRACKS

I don´t know if this was discussed before, but I am curious if you like or don´t like looping or repeating of music in video game soundtracks.
What you think about this?

I must say I don´t like it but I can understand that without repeating tracks vgm soundtracks would have 20min or sometimes even less, what is not the best for business
Old Aug 30, 2011, 04:03 PM

Most noobs to music don't like looping tracks because it is too "repetitive" for them. I don't see the problem as long as the track is interesting and has a good drum pattern. If you are doing something (driving, dancing, running, etc.) while the music plays you won't notice it as much.

Last edited by Vert1; Aug 30, 2011 at 04:06 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 05:02 PM

With the exception of 213 on this soundtrack, if it's any good, it doesn't seem repetitive at all. Twice is good, unless it's longer than three and a half minutes or so. Thrice, I'm sure most of us can agree, is too much.

Which really makes me wonder about those "extended" versions on Youtube that loop the same 50 second piece for 10 minutes. Doesn't make sense to me.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 05:37 PM

10 minutes? How about those videos that loop 5 seconds for 10 HOURS?
Old Aug 30, 2011, 06:02 PM

What does this have to do with being a noob? How can you even be a "noob" to music? In fact, this is the opposite thing in my case. I used to loop music that didn't loop, and after much experience with VGM and having expanded my collection greatly, I actually cut loops. I don't want to hear a song do the same thing twice, it's as simple as that. When I rip something to my computer, I always cut the loop out if there is one. I just don't see the point in having something do the same thing, even if I like it. After I started cutting loops out of songs, I found I enjoyed it far more than when it has looped even though I'd enjoyed many of the songs when they'd looped.

It has nothing to do with being a "noob", it's just personal preference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenofan 29A View Post
With the exception of 213 on this soundtrack
Haha, I listened to this soundtrack for the first time not even a week ago and thought that track was the oddest thing.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 10:22 PM

I don't mind loops too much, but I prefer the approach used with this: http://vgmdb.net/album/201, the songs play once and then fade-out when the loops start. It seems a good compromise to me.
last.fm | Discord: Dark Slayer#8440
Old Aug 30, 2011, 10:46 PM

I encountered this quandary when I recently got the FF4 and FF6 soundtracks- FF4 generally loops once (I think), where FF6 loops twice (or therabouts), resulting in FF4 being one disc and FF6 being 3 (sure FF6 is a longer game, but you get my point). Before I got it I thought FF4's tracks would be too short, but I don't mind it- it let's me not get bogged down by the tracks I don't like and really pay attention on the ones I do. It reminds me of an album by Melt Banana called 'Catus come in flocks' that was like 20 30-second songs, a really cool and enjoyable concept! FF6 though can be a little exhausting, with 3 hours of music!

On the other hand, the Tobal No. 1 soundtrack has songs which feature endings, but they are still pretty repetitive! The nature of the beast.

Verdict: loopless, overlooped, underlooped, I don't care- I love VGM!
Old Aug 31, 2011, 06:54 AM

Yeah, looping's one of the idiosycrasies that's grown on me. But it starts getting unnecessary and possibly wasteful when the looped tracks ends up more than 5:00, I think. Since more and more composers are putting more effort in creating better and longer VGM (possibly), maybe looping will become less common? Not in-game, of course.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraEpon View Post
10 minutes? How about those videos that loop 5 seconds for 10 HOURS?
Not quite 5 seconds, but...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vexations

That puts anything else I've heard of to shame.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 05:35 PM

I think http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/As_Slow_As_Possible one ups Vexations, which noone is really positive about...
Old Sep 6, 2011, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraEpon View Post
I think http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/As_Slow_As_Possible one ups Vexations, which noone is really positive about...
In length, yes, but I don't think it tops it in repetition. It's just really, really slow...
Old Sep 7, 2011, 08:58 PM

I strongly prefer repeating tracks to loop twice, unless the loop duration exceeds 3 minutes (or thereabout). I tend to get a little cranky when I hear single passes on an official release.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 03:21 PM

I don't mind a track that loops twice but anymore than that gets repetitive unless the track itself is very short. If so, 3 or 4 loops wouldn't hurt.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 03:07 PM

My take:

If I like the track, I want it looped. Saves me the trouble of hitting repeat on my player.

If not...well, I'm probably deleting it anyway, but I'm glad it is not looped!

Some tracks have a lot of development and draw themselves out. For these, non-looped is fine. It is stuff like catchy battle themes that are only 1:00-1:30 where I really prefer loops.
Old Oct 8, 2011, 11:01 PM

I love looping tracks. If it's good, then huzzah! I don't have to listen to parts I don't like, because it's all good.