VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Aug 29, 2008, 03:27 AM
VGMdb Staff

I'm interested to buy this album but I'm not satisfied with the quality recording of it. I've listened tracks in mp3 format from different sources and there's a clearly background noise in all tracks, especially in those of the first two episodes.
It's not a problem generated by mp3 compression's format but by a not perfect digital recording on cd.
Can you confirme this?
Old Aug 30, 2008, 07:57 AM

I can't verify which tracks have problems since I don't have access to my copy, but yes, some of the tracks have some very awful noise in the background. It's like a poor line-in recording (which it most likely is) from the dustiest Famicom they could find. I think a few tracks even have sound effects in them.

EDIT: The Rockman X1-6 album has similar problems with the SNES recordings (X1-3).

Last edited by Judge Ito; Aug 30, 2008 at 08:02 AM.
Old Aug 31, 2008, 09:12 AM
VGMdb Staff

Good to know, so I suggest to find in internet some nes-rip of Megaman's fans. They sound better, and haven't background noise.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 02:15 AM

Otaku.com got some last copies of the Set. ^^ Don't miss the chance even when the quality isn't that great.

Click
Old Oct 1, 2008, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
Don't miss the chance even when the quality isn't that great.
That's true, it's an awesome collector's item nevertheless.
Old Oct 3, 2008, 02:30 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

I don't notice any background noise in the music here. Perhaps I'd have to have the volume up really loud to know for sure, but I think it's fine at normal listening volume. There is a bit of a "television recording" feel to the soundtrack, but the audio is still crisp. Also, I don't know of any tracks that have SFX over the music. The soundtrack already has dedicated tracks for sound effects. I have no problems with this album.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
Otaku.com got some last copies of the Set. ^^ Don't miss the chance even when the quality isn't that great.

Click
How trustworthy are these guys? Who's ordered from them before?
Old Apr 23, 2009, 08:40 AM

I've ordered from them before. The Kirby 64 soundtrack and Metroid Prime & Fusion soundtracks. Both soundtracks seem legit to me.
Old May 15, 2009, 01:52 AM

Yeah, I was thinking of the Rockman X1~6 set about sound effects in the music.

This set still has some rough line-in noise, though.
Old May 15, 2009, 09:25 AM

Get the soundtrack, listen to the .nsf rip.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 10:58 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Should the Rockman 2 composer be credited as Takashi Tateishi 0r Ogeretsu Kun?
Old Dec 27, 2009, 11:55 AM
VGMdb Staff

I don't know what booklet says but on the game ending credit it reports:
Ogeretsu Kun
Manami Ietel
Yuukichan's Papa
Here's the video > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiT_3kwgvwQ
Ending credits of others episodes:
Mega Man reports "Chanchacorin Manami & Yuukichan's Papa" > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kduzi0ZyKjY
Mega Man 3 reports "Bunbun" > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i79I58A2r_g
Mega Man 4 reports "Ojalin & Bunbun" > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkVWge_H4h4
Mega Man 5 reports "Mari" > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-7xneX9ZyY
Mega Man 6 reports "Yuko" > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVCwFBm86hI

If the booklet reports nothing, I suggest to put on notes only composer aliases reported on the games and not their real name (there are respective entry for those).

Last edited by depa; Dec 27, 2009 at 12:16 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 01:17 PM

Something I just noticed:

DuckTales: The Moon by Yoshihiro Sakaguchi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPkhhLC1tf8

Listen between 0:35 and 0:36

I think we found Quickman's composer.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleb.G View Post
I don't notice any background noise in the music here. Perhaps I'd have to have the volume up really loud to know for sure, but I think it's fine at normal listening volume. There is a bit of a "television recording" feel to the soundtrack, but the audio is still crisp. Also, I don't know of any tracks that have SFX over the music. The soundtrack already has dedicated tracks for sound effects. I have no problems with this album.
I have to agree, unlike the X1~6, MM7 and MM8 soundtracks I can't remember any real problems with this set - outside the extended winding down "Opening" has in MM2.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 05:17 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyubihanyou View Post
Something I just noticed:

DuckTales: The Moon by Yoshihiro Sakaguchi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPkhhLC1tf8

Listen between 0:35 and 0:36

I think we found Quickman's composer.
Nice catch, I'd never noticed that before. Not sure it proves a lot though since someone else might have made the SE for MM2 ;p
Old Feb 1, 2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanne View Post
Nice catch, I'd never noticed that before. Not sure it proves a lot though since someone else might have made the SE for MM2 ;p
There are no other sound credits for MM2 or any of the other NES Megaman titles; the music composers double as sound programmers (in the literal sense) for the first two games and can be implied to do so for the later games as well. Therefore, Yoshihiro, Manami, and even Takashi can be pinned based on the sound effects they programmed for MM1 and MM2.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/nes/mega-man-2/credits

Yoshihiro is also the only sound staff on DuckTales, a game that was released after Rockman 2, therefore the SE of Quickman's beams being here is no coincidence.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/nes/data/587253.html

Check and mate.

EDIT: I believe it is also through this game [DuckTales] that the link to MM1's boss music was discovered (it is pretty reminiscent). I didn't make that discovery myself. That honor belongs to Splashman and his tagging of the X8 gamerip at the Mega Man Network. I guess Yoshihiro's name was in the coding of the bonus Cutman battle music or something? (I really don't know)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m28JwzSglU

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Feb 1, 2010 at 01:06 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 03:18 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

I'm aware a lot of the individual track credits are coming from official sources, but I'd like to compile a list of these sources for reference. Can anybody help point me in the right direction? I know Chiptuned Rockman is one of them. Any others?
Old Feb 10, 2010, 06:35 PM

Smile

Quote:
I'm aware a lot of the individual track credits are coming from official sources, but I'd like to compile a list of these sources for reference. Can anybody help point me in the right direction? I know Chiptuned Rockman is one of them. Any others?
Other than Chiptuned and what was written in the last few posts, I can't offer much else. There are, however, two doujin albums that appear to have official links, but I don't trust them at all.
http://vgmdb.net/album/4611 ---> It claims Yoshihiro did Stage Select and Metalman for MM2
http://vgmdb.net/album/4610 ---->It claims Yoshihiro did Flashman [I actually agree with this one]

From Chiptuned and the like, I made these assumptions: (NOTE: Bold tracks names = confirmed)
Rockman:

If it has an upper inflection (direction), it's Manami (ex. Stage Select, Game Start, Cutman, Iceman, Fireman, Elecman, Dr. Wily Stage 1, Dr. Wily Stage Boss, All Stage Clear, Ending)

If it's generally lower, it's Yoshihiro (ex. Gutsman, Bombman, Boss, Stage Clear, Dr. Wily Stage 2, Game Over)

Rockman 2:

If it sounds awesome and otherwise full of energy (not stale) *Also contains "boop" melody that indirectly serves as a calling card* it's Takashi
(ex. Opening, Title, Pass Word, Stage Select, Game Start, Airman, Bubbleman, Crashman, Woodman, Stage Clear, Get a Weapon, Dr. Wily UFO SE, Dr. Wily Stage Map, Dr. Wily Stage 1, Dr. Wily Stage 2, Last Stage, Boss, Clear Demo, All Stage Clear, Staff Roll, Game Over)

Woodman contains melody used in Get a Weapon-->Staff Roll--->Title; similar to Boss-->Stage Clear-->All Stage Clear; sounds similar to Dr. Wily Stage Map--->Dr. Wily UFO SE leads into it; Woodman also contains bit also heard in Opening--->Opening contains bit also heard during Clear Demo (When Wily's Alien Machine shuts down)--->Last Stage because it's used in the same stage as Clear Demo.

**I also believe that all 7 of the tunes in Rockman 9 that came from Rockman 2 (Menu [Pass Word], Game Start, Stage Clear, Get a Weapon, Dr. Wily UFO SE, Dr. Wily Stage Map, Game Over) are done by Takashi Tateishi, as most contain said "boops" or otherwise flow into the others (UFO SE into Stage Map, just like Opening into Title for Rockman 2) and also because it was easier for Inti Creates to deal with the negotiations for one composer's work than all three of them.**

Yoshihiro and Manami, I assume, are the same as above, so it's easier to attribute Yoshihiro to Quickman and Flashman, but I think Manami - if not then Takashi - does Metalman, which is why I doubt the almighty doujin.

Manami: (ex. Metalman, Heatman, Ending)--->Ending has instruments that are also seen in Wily Stage 1 from Rockman 1 and a melody akin to Ending from that game's ending.

Yoshihiro: (ex. Quickman, Flashman)

Rockman 4:

If it's loud and full of energy (and more snare drums), it's Minae
(ex. Opening 1, Opening 2, Title, Pass Word, Stage Select, Game Start, Pass Word, Brightman, Drillman, Pharaohman, Diveman, Skullman, Boss, Stage Clear, Get a Weapon, Dr. Wily Stage Map, Dr. Wily Stage 1, Dr. Wily Stage 2, Last Boss, All Stage Clear, Staff Roll, Game Over, Get Items)

Like Rockman 3, if it has a lower inflection (direction) and has a more serious tone, it's Yasuaki (ex. Toadman, Ringman, Dustman, Dr. Cossack Stage Map, Dr. Cossack Stage 1, Dr. Cossack Stage 2, Ending)

EDIT(02/11): According to this album (http://vgmdb.net/album/1780), Ogeretsu Kun (Takashi Tateishi), credited there as "Ogeretu" Kun, arranged the Rockman 2 Arrange Version track. This includes Heat Man, Metal Man, Dr. Wily Stage 2, Crash Man, All Stage Clear, and Title. I'd have to agree with the last three more than the other three.

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Mar 24, 2010 at 10:32 AM.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 07:01 PM

Don't the Rockman Rock and Techno Remixes give a few composer specific credits?
Old Feb 10, 2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Evans View Post
Don't the Rockman Rock and Techno Remixes give a few composer specific credits?
No such luck; I only added specific credits for the tracks that appeared on Chiptuned Rockman, such as Wily 1 (MM2) and Wily 2 (MM4).
Old Feb 20, 2010, 12:13 AM

Where does the tracklist we see here come from...?
Old Feb 20, 2010, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacia View Post
Where does the tracklist we see here come from...?
Like the others, I assume it was taken from Suleputer's official page for the album back in the day. Unfortunately, like X1~X6, the 1~6 page no longer appears to exist due to the amount of time that has passed since its release, so I can't post an official link here. Trust me, though, these names are the real deal.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 02:46 PM

So it doesn't appear anywhere in the box or booklet? Man, that is so strange. Oh well, thanks. I was more just curious than I was worried about legitimacy.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 09:55 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

These scans are incomplete and numbered incorrectly. The tracklists are on pages 3 & 4. I'll get scans up and fix the numbering.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 10:32 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

OK, here you go:
http://vgmdb.net/db/covers.php?do=view&cover=71996
http://vgmdb.net/db/covers.php?do=view&cover=71997

They seem to match our tracklist with the possible exception of disc 2 track 27:
"OPENING 2" versus "OPENING2". I'll let you guys debate heavily over that.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 11:39 AM

Quote:
OK, here you go:
http://vgmdb.net/db/covers.php?do=view&cover=71996
http://vgmdb.net/db/covers.php?do=view&cover=71997

They seem to match our tracklist with the possible exception of disc 2 track 27:
"OPENING 2" versus "OPENING2". I'll let you guys debate heavily over that.
It's written on the tracklist, so it's gotta be changed to OPENING2. However, I'm sure anyone who sees it would instantly pick up that it's an error and put the space there anyway, as all the other tracks with numbers in them are appropriately spaced. Furthermore, on the X1~X6 album, The track "Ending 2" is featured as such on the tracklist.

EDIT: (03/23)

-Since Manami Matsumae does Stage/Game Start in Rockman 10, and it's a new variation of the oldest one, it can be confirmed that Manami composed that original jingle in Rockman 1. This, however, does not necessarily extend to Rockman 2, as Takashi could have remade it.
-Considering who does Stage Clear in Rockman 10's OST, I think it's safe to confirm Takashi Tateishi as the composer for Rockman 2's Stage Clear, as it keep the exact same melody. This also continues to make Takashi the master of the boops.

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Mar 23, 2010 at 02:03 PM.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 05:35 AM

Manami composed all of Rockman 1 herself, other credits are for sfx. The only thing she did for Rockman 2 was sfx and re-used material from Rockman 1 that she was credited as the composer for.

How do I know this? I asked her. I've been e-mailing a bit with her husband Kimitaka Matsumae and he confirmed it. I have not been able to get a proper breakdown for Rockman 2 though, I'll see if I can ask again about that at a later date.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 01:16 PM

I have also confirmed this through Ippo Yamada and Akari Kaida, hence why I changed the game credits a week back. Mega Man was composed solely by Manami Matsumae, Mega Man 2 was composed solely by Takashi Tateishi.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 02:10 PM

Isn't Yoko Shimomura confirmed to have worked on Mega Man 5 via her blog?
Old Apr 21, 2010, 10:17 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raizen1984 View Post
Isn't Yoko Shimomura confirmed to have worked on Mega Man 5 via her blog?
What? Shimomura? What blog post is this?

Mari Yamaguchi's been credited for the entire MM5 soundtrack as long as I can remember.