VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion > Artist Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Dec 4, 2015, 09:29 AM

A few days ago I messaged him on Soundcloud about which tunes he composed for E-SWAT. Today, he said:

Quote:
Hi
It's a long time ago....
Though not well remember,
Title ,BGM3 ,BOSS2 and Ending 's song that I made.
I'll guess that the remaining tracks are composed by You Takada.

Last edited by drdevilfx; Dec 4, 2015 at 10:07 AM.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 01:12 PM
Trusted Editor

How are you going to say "I'll guess that the remaining tracks are composed by ..." when his quotation says "It's a long time ago... I don't remember well".

This is the problem with exploratory composition discovery -- it's not reliable. Especially with stuff that's 25+ years old. You're not any closer to identifying anything, this is just unreliable research.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 02:32 PM

I sent him a link to a YouTube playlist of the E-SWAT soundtrack. Also, the four tracks he brought up (particularly BGM 3) sound like his style. Also, when I said "I'll guess that the remaining tracks are composed by You Takada.", I wasn't actually stating that Takada composed the rest - I was just guessing. In fact, I regret saying that (as he may have composed more tracks, but he forgot).

To be fair, you have a good point - as he doesn't remember well, he may be mistaken. There are a few other tracks that sound a bit reminiscent of his style, though that's subjective.

Even though I contacted the composer himself, how is it unreliable research?

Last edited by drdevilfx; Dec 4, 2015 at 02:39 PM.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 08:15 PM
Trusted Editor

I'm just generally not a fan of speculative crediting. I wish there was an option for it for coloring the name like we have the "feat." that we use for old dead composers like Bach.

Sending a composer a link to a soundtrack they wrote 25 years ago and asking him what tracks he or she wrote is just as speculative as doing it by ear. I really question the validity of that even if it's from the composer themselves. Imagine trying to remember a project you worked on 25+ years ago? I don't really put any faith in it at all. At this point I am not even sure all these 10/15/20+ anniversary/box sets/compilation album credits are accurate because i doubt company record keeping was even good back then (and probably not even digital!)

And it's only going to get worse the more time goes on.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancey View Post
Sending a composer a link to a soundtrack they wrote 25 years ago and asking him what tracks he or she wrote is just as speculative as doing it by ear.
It's so not.

Quote:
At this point I am not even sure all these 10/15/20+ anniversary/box sets/compilation album credits are accurate because i doubt company record keeping was even good back then (and probably not even digital!)
There's some serious paranoia in here.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 08:58 AM
Trusted Editor

It absolutely is, especially when almost all their responses aren't even confident. If the artist can't even say with confidence because it was so long ago, what makes you think its reliable?

There's no paranoia, I just don't have any confidence in this speculative research in general. What's wrong with wanting an identifier for speculative or exploratory discovery?
Old Dec 5, 2015, 05:33 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancey View Post
Sending a composer a link to a soundtrack they wrote 25 years ago and asking him what tracks he or she wrote is just as speculative as doing it by ear.
Disagree. They may have trouble remembering fully about the project, but to say that us guessing which tracks they may have wrote is just as reliable as what the composer himself states?

You may be skeptical, which is fine, but to immediately dismiss it just because of how long ago it was? Should we dismiss modern interviews with war veterans, just because it happened over 25 years ago? In this case, all knowledge is unreliable, because how can we ever be 100% sure?