VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Aug 9, 2013, 05:06 AM

I'm very sorry Ramza (aka Patrick Gann), but your RPGFan's review of this game soundtrack is downright awful.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 06:04 AM
VGMdb Staff

Was this ever released outside of the Falcom Special Box 2004? If not I guess we shouldn't have a separate entry for it.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 07:21 AM
VGMdb Advisor

I think it was also sold as an LE bonus with the Xanadu remake/reboot, which *did* sell outside of FSB2004 IIRC. EDIT -- in reading through my old review, I stated that Falcom did sell this OST separate from FSB2004 on their website (with this catalog #). All I have for verification is my own memory of seeing it listed separately for sale. But it's something.

Matron -- don't be sorry! I'd appreciate more specifics though. What about the review makes it awful? What would you say differently? Is there anything factually inaccurate in the review? I know I'm pretty negative on this OST, and yeah, I think it has everything to do with my expectations being set at a different place than what the product was. So perhaps it's not a fair judgment. Do you feel that it stands apart in terms of composition or sound quality as superior to other of Falcom's peers from that period?

Last edited by Ramza; Aug 9, 2013 at 07:51 AM.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramza View Post
Matron -- don't be sorry! I'd appreciate more specifics though. What about the review makes it awful? What would you say differently? Is there anything factually inaccurate in the review? I know I'm pretty negative on this OST, and yeah, I think it has everything to do with my expectations being set at a different place than what the product was. So perhaps it's not a fair judgment. Do you feel that it stands apart in terms of composition or sound quality as superior to other of Falcom's peers from that period?
Some of my concerns are:

Quote:
The Legend of Xanadu never got an original soundtrack during the time of its release: instead, it got a "Super Arrange Version" and a "JDK Special" (which is close to an OST based on sound quality, but is not entirely the same thing as an OST).
This actually isn't completely true. The Legend of Xanadu got:

The Legend of Xanadu JDK Special
The Legend of Xanadu Super Arrange Version
The Legend of Xanadu Super Arrange Version (Falcom Special Box '94, completely different from the other Super Arrange, and much, MUCH better)
Falcom JDK Band 4: Ys IV vs. The Legend of Xanadu

And also The Legend of Xanadu Arrange Album KLEENE, although that one is a fanbased album, but it's IN-CRE-DI-BLE.

Also, be sure to check LoX arrangements on both FSB '93 and '94. RULES.

Quote:
"the music sounds terrible, because it's a good ten years old."
It's a PC Engine chip generated soundtrack, what you actually expected? And "music sounds terrible"? What the heck? It sounds great for a PC Engine game! Heck, the whole soundtrack is awesome even in the original PCE synth!

Quote:
"I was very excited about purchasing this three disc set because I was under the (false) impression that the music had been updated along with the game."
Album's title already says it's The Legend of Xanadu Original Soundtrack. Neither it says it's an updated soundtrack (like Dinosaur Complete FM Oscillator Version), a JDK Special or an arranged soundtrack. Original Soundtrack = Soundtrack of X game. Plain and simple.

Quote:
"This three disc set is the complete OST to a game that is not only a decade old, but one that also did not get treated to the high quality redbook audio that other Falcom games of its time had been given. As a result, what we find here is some pretty bland music."
This one irks me. Just because it didn't get arranged by Ryo Yonemitsu doesn't make it any worse, but I'll say that if it had been given arrangements by Ryo Yonemitsu (like the PC Engine Ys/LoH games) it would probably have commanded the same respect.

Quote:
Not only that: we also discover that many of these songs are the sort of "filler tracks" people like me are prone to complaining about. You may not recognize it, as I deliberately chose not to sample those sorts of songs: but trust me, they're there. Not only are they there: they are numerous, and they are irritating.
While it's true that there's "filler tracks", all of them are easy and fun to listen, and also fits well in-game. However, I admit that from the 110 tracks of the soundtrack, there's like 25 or so stand-out tracks.

Quote:
[...] I was able to find a few diamonds in the rough, including a couple of lengthy (four to five minute) tracks on disc three. Both "Dardandis" and "Wings of Darkness" are phenomenal battle themes that I have somehow failed to notice on other Legend of Xanadu albums. Could it be that no decent arrangement exists for these songs?
"Wings of Darkness" actually got a BEAUTIFUL treatment in FSB '94. It's a shame nobody has arranged 'Dardandis', becuase that track rocks too much, ESPECIALLY that synth solo.

Quote:
I wouldn't know, as I have not followed this series as closely as I have with other Falcom games.
That could explain some of this review's misinformation. It's a shame to read stuff like this, because I consider The Legend of Xanadu to be Falcom's second best franchise right after Ys.

Quote:
Honestly, it is some of the worst music from Falcom I've heard in a long time: sometimes because of the synths, sometimes because of poor composition, always because there are better Falcom CDs to enjoy.
"some of the worst music from Falcom"? The heck? This is one of best soundtracks by ol' good Falcom! By god's sake, I even uploaded both this and it's sequel soundtrack on YouTube in glorious HD quality.

IMHO, The Legend of Xanadu OST is one of 90s Falcom best works, and with a sound quality much better than many Falcom's PC-88/98 soundtracks. Heck, it even surpasses Ys IV in some places in terms of composition, and that's saying a lot from someone who loves Ys IV's music so much! But what I can say, this comes from someone who thinks that Brandish 3 is Falcom's best soundtrack on the PC-98.

Seriously, check both games' OST everybody. That also includes the Brandish 3 soundtrack

Last edited by Matron; Aug 9, 2013 at 12:57 PM.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 03:27 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Thank you for the feedback Matron. I've actually *never* listened to FSB94 (what is wrong with me?). I've probably owned about 40% of all Falcom albums in the course of my life and listened to maybe double that. But FSB94 ... I think it's probably because it was always so expensive in my high school / college days (is it still? Haven't checked, but probably). I would like to hear its version of "Wings of Darkness."

But I actually wrote a review of JDK Band 4, years before I heard the LoX OST. Not sure why I didn't mention it in the review, because I *love* that album.

Considering you sound like an expert on PCE hardware-based music, I trust you when you say the LoX OST is stronger than many other games using PCE hardware.

I read through the review again, and though I personally thought it was a pretty good piece of writing on my part, it's fair to say I didn't really say anything to defend my premise that the PCE synth is unappealing. I just state it and move on. So ... yeah, I hear ya.

Thanks for sharing your insights. The good news is that this forum stands as a record of discussion on this OST, so perhaps you've righted my "wrong" of the RPGFan Review.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 04:56 PM

You can find FSB '94 for around 3000 yen (or less) on YJA. And it is well worth the money. Best VGM album ever, in my opinion.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 07:40 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
You can find FSB '94 for around 3000 yen (or less) on YJA. And it is well worth the money. Best VGM album ever, in my opinion.
Wait, for real? That's pretty amazing. I remember back in the day it'd be going for twice that amount.

Do you think it has anything to do with Falcom putting virtually everything they have on iTunes?
Old Aug 11, 2013, 12:17 PM

I feel your pain Matron. Sadly, I'm not a fan of the PC Engine internal sound chip and I totally understand why people wouldn't be immediately drawn towards the soundtrack. I kind of wish the Legend of Xanadu soundtrack had been done on the PC98 instead (ala Brandish 3 and LOH 3 and 4). I think that hurt a couple of Falcom's original soundtracks at the time (the LoX series and the chip generated Ys IV tunes) and they are more niche than they should be.

For the record, the original Toon rocks my world everytime it comes on. Sadly, it was missing from the Legend of Xanadu JDK Special (which is a fine album).
Old Aug 11, 2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:
I've probably owned about 40% of all Falcom albums in the course of my life and listened to maybe double that. But FSB94 ... I think it's probably because it was always so expensive in my high school / college days (is it still? Haven't checked, but probably). I would like to hear its version of "Wings of Darkness."
Yeah, what's wrong with you? You owned like 40% of Falcom catalog and never listened one of their best works?

The Legend of Xanadu SAV

Popful Mail SAV (reversed order)

Seriously, some of Falcom's best, if you ask me. I like Andy Byus' (aka GoldfishX) review of it.

Don't bother with Disc 1 (Ys IV SAV), since it's just a (bad) selection of the then-upcoming Ys IV Perfect Collections.

Quote:
But I actually wrote a review of JDK Band 4, years before I heard the LoX OST. Not sure why I didn't mention it in the review, because I *love* that album.
I don't like the Ys IV arrangements of that album. LoX I's arrangements on the other hand are BEAUTIFUL.

Quote:
Considering you sound like an expert on PCE hardware-based music, I trust you when you say the LoX OST is stronger than many other games using PCE hardware.
I actually didn't said that, but thanks nonetheless . Regarding LoX's PSG songs: they are great. I'm not a expert on the PCE, but I've heard a healthy share of PCE chiptunes, and this stuff (and thus it's sequel) is both well composed and well programmed. The songs compliment the atmosphere of each area and event very well, to the point that they really enrich them. I encourage anyone to try to appreciate this as they play the games.

If you haven't heard LoX II soundtrack, please do it. You may not like Disc 1 (the PSG stuff), but Disc 2 is INCREDIBLE for a 16-bit RPG. Makes you think that the J.D.K. Electric Orchestra arranged them or something like that, although the sound quality isn't as good as, say, Ys V Orchestra Version.

Quote:
I read through the review again, and though I personally thought it was a pretty good piece of writing on my part, it's fair to say I didn't really say anything to defend my premise that the PCE synth is unappealing. I just state it and move on. So ... yeah, I hear ya.
I noticed that some of your reviews doesn't talk too much about the album, like both Ys V Orchestra and soundtrack reviews. One example of review by you that I prefer is the SnK FC&SC SAV RPGFan review. Chris' review of LoX I's OST on SEMO wasn't too positive (he gave it 6/10), but at least he talked about more tracks (and also praised 'Prologue' as one of the most ambitious Falcom Sound Team JDK songs).

Quote:
Thanks for sharing your insights. The good news is that this forum stands as a record of discussion on this OST, so perhaps you've righted my "wrong" of the RPGFan Review.
You welcome, and please don't take it to seriously Love LoX I & II. Hopefully the LoX II translation won't take too much, so more people will be able to enjoy that amazing game and a half of this series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post

I urgently need that album on my fabulous Falcom collection. Too bad I'm "bad" at importing

Last edited by Matron; Aug 11, 2013 at 12:55 PM.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 04:10 PM

It's funny, you can really hear the transition from the old JDK Band sound on Falcom Special Box 94 and then on JDK Band 4. IMO, JDK Band 4 is awkward and awful, it sounds like OSV tracks with goofy synth and obligatory guitar solos. The two JDK Specials are preferred to me just because the synth is better.

Do check out the FSB 94 Wings of Darkness, it is excellent. One of Kishimoto's best arrangements.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 04:01 PM

I just thought I'd mention that the song "Trap" is an arranged version of "Crossroad of Sadness" from "Music from Ys." Maybe it could mean that it's Mieko Ishikawa's track, who knows.

By the way, this is an amazing soundtrack (as well as the sequel).
Old Dec 2, 2015, 11:38 AM

Does anyone here have their own composer breakdown or some guesses about who may have done what in this game? I've been trying to figure out a breakdown for this and The Legend of Xanadu II. I've been able to come up with a few things based on my own research. Since I can't speak Japanese I haven't been able to contact the composers who are still left, but I should be getting some information soon from Naoki Kaneda and Atsushi Shirakawa on what they composed for both games.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 02:17 PM

I've been trying to figure out who composed what for a long time, and I finally made some progress on official credits. After what happened in the long stall with Hirofumi Matsuoka, I decided to just go after the composer credits on my own after he passed away. I got in contact with Atsushi Shirakawa (Tenmon), and Naoki Kaneda (Kim's Soundroom) on Twitter, and managed to get them to reveal a good part of their compositions. I sent all my guesses that I thought were them and they confirmed with me. Surprisingly, almost all my guesses for both of them were correct, but that's because I've listened to 1987-2002 Falcom enough to be able to recognize them sometimes.

Atsushi Shirakawa said that he doesn't remember composing much, and that the project is very old, so he doesn't remember all of his compositions. He confirmed as the composer for the songs:

1. Prologue
2. IKTHIA ~ The Summer of Youths
3. Dawn of Makria
4. The Church
5. The Demon of the Lake
6. Attending to the Royal City
7. Parthia
8. Wind of Grief
9. Silent Tower
10. Ending

He said he may have done these:

11. Xarkas
12. Kakos
13. The Ice Cave
14. Code of the Hero

He mentioned that he may have done Kleene, but I think it was really Mieko Ishikawa. He also left a few songs out, but I know he had to had done Black Light and In the Name of Ishtar. He also listed the Ice Tower as a maybe, but Naoki Kaneda confirmed it as his song instead.

Naoki Kaneda mentioned how the style of the music felt nostalgic, and commented that he may had been responsible for half the music, or maybe a little less than half. He confirmed to have done:

1. The Legend of the Wind
2. The Ice Tower
3. Wings of Freedom
4. The Cursed Beauty
5. Arctic Wind
6. Wings of Pride
7. Defeat Your Old Nemesis
8. The Power of Friendship
9. A False God
10. Sophia
11. A Deep Enigma
12. The Gods of the Four Winds
13. Power Greater than God Himself
14. The Ordeal
15. Chaotic Sanctuary

Besides that, there are a few tracks Kaneda left out that are confirmed that he didn't do as well as by Shirakawa. There are still more songs we don't know that they did, but I was only asking for my own guesses. I'll see what information I can come up with next. I want to look more into The Legend of Xanadu and then The Legend of Xanadu II.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 07:03 PM

I got a full breakdown this time from both Atsushi Shirakawa and Naoki Kaneda.

Atsushi Shirakawa [Tenmon]:

Disc 1:
1. Start Screen

3. PEACEFUL LIVING

4. The Spiral Stair of Hope

5. Prologue

7. IKTHIA~The Summer of Youths

9. SHOP

12. The Awakening of the Sealed Ones

16. THEO & MELLEINA

26. Makria Castle

31. Makria in Celebration [arrangement]

33. The Evil Dragon Reborn

Disc 2:
1. The Demon of the Lake

5. The Silent Shore

6. Attending to the Royal City

16. The Smile of the Breeze

17. The Whisper of the Breeze

23. Wind of Grief

37. Successor

39. I Hope We Can Meet

40. Thoughts, Once More

Disc 3:
9. The Silent Tower

18. Ending [arrangement]

Naoki Kaneda [Kim]

Disc 1:
2. OPEN SESAMI

8. Welcome

11. DAWN OF MAKRIA

15. Song of Victory

18. Until We Can Meet

21. The Power of Friendship

22. MEIDOUBLE

25. XARKAS

28. Defeat Your Old Nemesis

29. JEMEUX MOUVAIS

30. KAKOS

31. Makria in Celebration [composition]

32. The Legend of the Wind [composition]

34. A Deep Enigma [composition]

35. Black Light

38. Arctic Wind

39. GLACIES

41. PRISME [composition]

Disc 2:
3. A False God

4. TOON

5. The Silent Shore [composition]

10. SOPHIA [composition]

13. Wedding

15. PARTHIA

18. SOPHIA(PSG Ver.)

19. AINEAS

20. The Cursed Beauty

21. ALEXANDRA

22. The Holy Sword of Legend [composition]

24. The Pirates' Song - Areios Version [arrange]

25. The Pirates' Song - Noys Version [arrange]

31. ENAS

34. The Ice Tower

36. I Am Flybrute

43. The Gods of the Four Winds

45. Harp

Disc 3:
2. Code of the Hero

4. In the Name of Ishtar

5. Power Greater than God Himself

7. The Holy Spirit [composition]

8. Wings of Pride [composition]

10. CHAOTIC SANCTUARY

11. The Ordeal

14. Wings of Darkness [composition]

17. Wings of Freedom [composition]

18. Ending [composition]

19. LIKE A WIND [composition]
Old Oct 22, 2016, 06:43 AM

I suppose Kaneda's MIDI-sequenced tracks from Legend of Xanadu II were arranged by someone else, looking at this.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 01:46 AM

At last, I've finally obtained full credits from Kaneda on Twitter.

Kaneda
Open Sesami
Welcome
Dawn of Makria
Song of Victory
Until We Can Meet
The Power of Friendship
Meidouble
Xarkas
Defeat Your Old Nemesis
Jemeux Mouvais
Kakos
Makria in Celebration (Arrangement: Shirakawa)
The Legend of the Wind (Arrangement: Tsunashima)
A Deep Enigma (Arrangement: Tsunashima)
Black Light
Arctic Wind
Glacies
Prisme (Arrangement: Shirakawa)
A False God
Toon
The Silent Shore (Arrangement: Shirakawa)
Sophia (Arrangement: Shirakawa)
Wedding
Parthia
Sophia (PSG Ver.)
Aineas
The Cursed Beauty
Alexandra
The Holy Sword of Legend (Arrangement: Tsunashima)
The Pirates' Song - Areios Version
The Pirates' Song - Noys Version
Enas (Arrangement: Tsunashima)
Frozen Tower
I Am Flybrute
The Gods of the Four Winds
Harp
Code of the Hero
In the Name of Ishtar
A Power Greater than God Himself
The Holy Spirit (Arrangement: Tsunashima)
Wings of Pride (Arrangement: Tsunashima)
Chaotic Sanctuary
The Ordeal
Dardandis (Arrangement: Tsunashima)
Wings of Darkness (Arrangement: Tsunashima)
Kleene (Arrangement: Tsunashima)
Wings of Freedom (Arrangement: Shirakawa)
Ending (Arrangement: Shirakawa)
Like a Wind (Arrangement: Shirakawa)

Shirakawa
Start Screen
Peaceful Living (probably)
The Spiral Stair of Hope
Prologue
Ikthia ~ The Summer of Youths
Shop
The Awakening of the Sealed Ones
Makria Castle
The Evil Dragon Reborn
Yeti
The Ice Cave
Lake of the Dark God
Attending to the Royal City
The Smile of the Breeze
Dakru
Successor
I Hope We Can Meet
Thoughts, Once More
Harp ~ Hearer
The Silent Tower

Ishikawa
Theo & Melleina (Arrangement: Shirakawa)
The Church (Arrangement: Shirakawa)
The Voice of the Sacred Wind
Desert Wind (Arrangement: Shirakawa)
Theo & Melleina (PSG Ver.)
Desert Wind (PSG Ver.)

Matsuoka
Ship
The Cave of Despair
The Road to Victory (probably)
Trap
Toon Temple
A Beautiful Prize
Wind of Grief
Gymnos
Through Ice and Snow
A Castle Without a Master
FU-KU-ZA-TSU☆Pyular
Town of the Dragonflies
Rialla

Nakajima
One Who Disturbs the Slumber
Forever
New Companions
Beauty is a Trap
Parthia Port
Burning Saranda
Lemini=Drago
Ramabard
A Bird Crossing the Desert
Seeking Hope
In the Wind

Tsunashima
The Legend Begins
Vomit
The Cave of Fascination
Beneath the Temple
The Whisper of the Breeze (probably)
Zead (PSG Ver.)
Zead
With Wind
Brothers ~ The Blood of Aineas
Companions and Reunions
Old Feb 25, 2020, 05:44 PM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by preta View Post
At last, I've finally obtained full credits from Kaneda on Twitter.

Kaneda
Open Sesami
Welcome
Dawn of Makria
Song of Victory
Until We Can Meet
The Power of Friendship
Meidouble
Xarkas
Defeat Your Old Nemesis
Jemeux Mouvais
Kakos
Makria in Celebration (Arrangement: Shirakawa)
The Legend of the Wind (Arrangement: Tsunashima)
A Deep Enigma (Arrangement: Tsunashima)
Black Light
Arctic Wind
Glacies
Prisme (Arrangement: Shirakawa)
A False God
Toon
The Silent Shore (Arrangement: Shirakawa)
Sophia (Arrangement: Shirakawa)
Wedding
Parthia
Sophia (PSG Ver.)
Aineas
The Cursed Beauty
Alexandra
The Holy Sword of Legend (Arrangement: Tsunashima)
The Pirates' Song - Areios Version
The Pirates' Song - Noys Version
Enas (Arrangement: Tsunashima)
Frozen Tower
I Am Flybrute
The Gods of the Four Winds
Harp
Code of the Hero
In the Name of Ishtar
A Power Greater than God Himself
The Holy Spirit (Arrangement: Tsunashima)
Wings of Pride (Arrangement: Tsunashima)
Chaotic Sanctuary
The Ordeal
Dardandis (Arrangement: Tsunashima)
Wings of Darkness (Arrangement: Tsunashima)
Kleene (Arrangement: Tsunashima)
Wings of Freedom (Arrangement: Shirakawa)
Ending (Arrangement: Shirakawa)
Like a Wind (Arrangement: Shirakawa)

Shirakawa
Start Screen
Peaceful Living (probably)
The Spiral Stair of Hope
Prologue
Ikthia ~ The Summer of Youths
Shop
The Awakening of the Sealed Ones
Makria Castle
The Evil Dragon Reborn
Yeti
The Ice Cave
Lake of the Dark God
Attending to the Royal City
The Smile of the Breeze
Dakru
Successor
I Hope We Can Meet
Thoughts, Once More
Harp ~ Hearer
The Silent Tower

Ishikawa
Theo & Melleina (Arrangement: Shirakawa)
The Church (Arrangement: Shirakawa)
The Voice of the Sacred Wind
Desert Wind (Arrangement: Shirakawa)
Theo & Melleina (PSG Ver.)
Desert Wind (PSG Ver.)

Matsuoka
Ship
The Cave of Despair
The Road to Victory (probably)
Trap
Toon Temple
A Beautiful Prize
Wind of Grief
Gymnos
Through Ice and Snow
A Castle Without a Master
FU-KU-ZA-TSU☆Pyular
Town of the Dragonflies
Rialla

Nakajima
One Who Disturbs the Slumber
Forever
New Companions
Beauty is a Trap
Parthia Port
Burning Saranda
Lemini=Drago
Ramabard
A Bird Crossing the Desert
Seeking Hope
In the Wind

Tsunashima
The Legend Begins
Vomit
The Cave of Fascination
Beneath the Temple
The Whisper of the Breeze (probably)
Zead (PSG Ver.)
Zead
With Wind
Brothers ~ The Blood of Aineas
Companions and Reunions
Can we add this breakdown to the "Notes" section, broken down by disc and track number for easy reference?