VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Feb 22, 2010, 04:09 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I couldn't find any evidence that confirmed Bill King as an arranger, so I reversed the change. He is credited for Audio Re-recording on Mobygames:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/lunar-the-silver-star
Old Mar 16, 2011, 08:20 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Was "Boat Song" created for and exclusive to SSS Complete? As far as I can tell, it wasn't in the original Lunar: The Silver Star.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 05:02 PM

ALL the music in Silver Star Story is new.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liontamer View Post
Was "Boat Song" created for and exclusive to SSS Complete? As far as I can tell, it wasn't in the original Lunar: The Silver Star.
Yessir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraEpon View Post
ALL the music in Silver Star Story is new.
Some of them, yes, but not all of them are new compositions

A few songs from The Silver Star that are heard again in SSS

Battle
Encounter with Ally
Field 2
Battle with Mid-Boss
Grindery <Tower Interior>

Click here for more info

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Mar 18, 2011 at 06:07 AM.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 12:01 PM

Um...that soundtrack has nothing to do with what's in the game specifically.
Old May 24, 2011, 04:24 PM

What's meant by the catalog number? I don't understand the two different numbers. Is one the game CD and one the music CD...? Was this sold in two different prints and the second print has a different number than the first...?
Old May 25, 2011, 03:22 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medina View Post
What's meant by the catalog number? I don't understand the two different numbers. Is one the game CD and one the music CD...? Was this sold in two different prints and the second print has a different number than the first...?
SLUS-00628/00899 is what's written on the outside of the box that the game comes in, as well as on the game case itself. These two SLUS numbers refer to each of the game discs, as they are written on the front of each disc. So Disc 1 is SLUS-00628, Disc 2 is SLUS-00899 and, additionally, the 'Making of' disc is SLUS-00921. The soundtrack disc doesn't have a one though, only what I guess is a pressing plant number on the back-rim (DIDX-067267 2).
Old May 25, 2011, 04:09 AM

That's interesting. We used the DIDX number for the Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete Music Soundtrack. Well, thanks a lot for the explanation of the catalog numbers.
Old May 25, 2011, 04:23 AM
Trusted Editor

SLUS stands for Sony licensed US/Canada Software and was used as "internal" ID for Playstation games. So probably N/A would be more sufficient in this case IMO, as the codes are directly referring to the game(s) and not the soundtrack.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 08:59 AM

So...appaprently there's actually NO official tracklist for this? Most of the tracklists online seem to be from the same source (and one site says "thanks to this other site for the tracklist" which implies to me that it's nowhere in the original package.
Silly WD and their silliness. I swear.
Old May 18, 2019, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraEpon View Post
...which implies to me that it's nowhere in the original package.
Silly WD and their silliness. I swear.
You're correct, I've seen a complete copy of the game and there is no tracklising anywhere within.

I believe I read somewhere at some point that the reason Working Designs did not include a track listing is they didn't want listeners to "pick and choose" which tracks they listened to based on the names of the tracks alone. They wanted the listener to listen to the entire album as an entire entity.

I don't remember where I read this (it may be in the hardback manual that comes with the game, which does have some hilarious passages in it) but I do remember reading this and this being their reasoning.

I get it, but at the same time I don't. I mean if I dismissed FFV's battle theme "Battle 1" because the name is insanely plebeian, I'd be missing out on one of my favorite battle themes in the series. However, someone not as vested in music MAY be tempted do such a thing.

Also, I kind of have to point out a somewhat related thing regarding titles. I can't stand when people disregard a piece of music BECAUSE of it's title. I gave a dub of an album to a friend and one of the songs was titled "God Is Dead". He deleted the song and never listened to it because of the connotations of the title. However, if you listen to the lyrics of the song, God's not literally dead in the sense of the music's world; in the story of the album God just turns his back on humanity (closing the gates of heaven) because humanity rejects his divine plan by unlocking the secrets of immortality. The song's title is just talking about the "death of God" in the abstract.

That said, and getting back to Lunar, I get their point. You shouldn't judge a book by its cover (title), but a tracklisting would have been very helpful.

Edit:

I'm editing this at a later point because I forgot to clarify something that is relevant to the above.

The fact there is no official tracklist for this CD *is* correct, however, there are official names for the all the tracks included in the game, minus anything that's part of a FMV.

One of the items in the main character's possession during the game is an ocarina. If you click on the ocarina when in the inventory menu, you can gain access to a list of all the in-game music at any time, and all pieces *do* have titles. The tracklisting that's here and you'll find elsewhere mainly uses these titles derived from here and, if you find a game rip of the music in the game, it probably uses these titles. That said, the accuracy of this title probably depends on how good or bad LSSSC translation was/is.

There are a few catches however, the big one being (as this makeshift tracklising points out) that not all the tracks and names are taken from Silver Star Story Complete. It's an amalgamation of several sources.

For example, track 06 "Boss Battle (Sega CD)" was the boss battle theme in the Sega CD original, but it was replaced with a track called "Stand And Fight" in Complete. However, in an interesting twist, "Boss Battle" *was* used on the Lunar Silver Star Story Complete demo disc during it's closing FMV, which was a fitting use for it in my opinion since it got demoted.

Also, this isn't music related, but an interesting thing about the demo is you can do something in the demo that you can't do in the final version of the game. If you do this thing (get rid of a certain item) and use your save data to continue on in the full release (which was a cool element of the demo) you will be unable to complete the game at the end 20 to 25 hours later. No lie, my friend did this and curses the game for it. The demo also contained the original Japanese voice acting in battle.

Sorry for going on, but despite not being crazy about this game I actually have a bit of history with it. I honestly liked the PSP remake more, but I think I'm in the minority there. Still, I *do* hold an affinity towards the PS1 audio because of that.

Last edited by Brad Evans II; May 18, 2019 at 11:19 PM.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 03:28 PM

The Translation Notes in the game's manual states why there are no track titles:
"One question people may ask regarding the soundtrack is 'Why no track names and numbers on the label for reference?' This was a conscious omission to encourage people to listen to the CD as a whole, beginning to end, and not pick and choose."