VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Oct 24, 2009, 02:13 PM

Michiru Oshima helped arrange the orchestral pieces (or piece, as is the case with this short tracklist) according to the official Zelda site (scroll to "Making the Zelda Trailer").
Old Oct 25, 2009, 06:34 AM

Location: Heaven? No no, what's that other place that starts with H? Oh yes, home. :-)

It's a shame that this isn't a complete soundtrack. I don't know how accurate this information is, but I read that the lead composer was upset about the fact that Nintendo didn't allow him to do a full orchestral arrangement due to time constraints. Can't say for sure whether this is a reason as to why a complete soundtrack was never released but I'm just saying.

One man was smart, he felt smart. Two men were smart, they smelt farrr...darn it! I'll never get it right.

What is "the box" that people are supposed to think outside of anyway? Hmm. Maybe it's similar to the Borg from Star Trek who dwelled as a collective hive-mind within a...box/cube. Those that deviated from this hive-mind would, in effect, be thinking outside of the box. it has both a figurative and a literal meaning.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 03:07 PM

Nintendo's cheap
Old Oct 27, 2009, 05:43 PM

that said, they weren't too cheap to release full OSTs for LTTP, OOT, MM and WW... i would love to know an official reason for why there hasn't been a full soundtrack release.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz Lunar View Post
i would love to know an official reason for why there hasn't been a full soundtrack release.
Mitsuaki Hagishima talked about why they didn't release soundtracks in general at the official Q&A session of the past Nintendo Dream issue.

Quote:
- Why doesn't Nintendo release CDs?

We have never published a single CD.

Instead, record companies have suggested a CD release plan, and we have let them publish it under license. However, game soundtrack CDs didn't sell well, and you'd often hear news about poor sales of general CDs lately. It's just a few thousand, at best. It requires a lot of labor to make a CD, and even if we do, we think we still should utilize our musical assets for such promotion that you can enjoy games more. we'll try to help more people enjoy the sound of Nintendo, through enclosures like this issue of Nintendo Dream and the guide book of Chibi-Robo!, the rewards of Club Nintendo, or the launch of Nintendo Mobile. Game is what matters most to us, and we'll use game music as promotion.
source

Last edited by Cedille; Oct 28, 2009 at 01:06 AM.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 10:59 AM

thanks, that has shed some light.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 08:25 AM
VGMdb Advisor

I've had a gamerip of the game for a little while now, and I just noticed that the tracks are tagged with a composer by the name "Mahito Yokota". I don't know if the composer made some of the tracks on this disc, or just some tracks available in-game. Maybe someone can research this? (The tracks aren't tagged with individual composers, all tracks are tagged with 4 artists)
Old Apr 19, 2010, 09:52 AM

If I remember correctly, Yokoto did the trailer music that appears after the title screen, and Oshima arranged it. Kondo said in an interview that he only did the "demo scene" music. I'm not sure what that means exactly, maybe the title screen music? Minegishi and Ota did the rest, with Minegishi mentioning himself being the head sound designer and composer, specializing in "all the field and dungeon music".
Old Dec 3, 2010, 01:31 AM

Ok Guys here is track-by-track details

Composition:
1) Mahito Yokota
2) Toru Minegishi
3) Toru Minegishi
4) Toru Minegishi
5) Koji Kondo
6) Toru Minegishi
7) Toru Minegishi
8) [Bonus Track: Orchestra Piece #1 (Don't Want You No More)] Koji Kondo

Arrangement
1) Mahito Yokota, Michiru Oshima
2 ~ 7) Toru Minegishi
8) Koji Kondo

Sorry Guys, Asuka Ohta had no part in this album, However.... I know she did some boss music for ook and stuff.

Last edited by Guitarist500; Sep 10, 2013 at 08:46 PM.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 02:44 AM

Again, it'd be appreciated if you could elaborate on your source here.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 03:10 AM

yeah it would be really cool to see sources. nonetheless, good info. kind of funny too, since i had thought he did the overworld music, yet in the text file accompanying prime blue's rip it said the song was "too good a composition to be from him." *rolls eyes*

Quote:
Kondo said in an interview that he only did the "demo scene" music
I think it is the song called "Opening Demo" in the rip. certainly sounds like Kondo to me, reminds me of part of Clock Town's music in Majora's Mask.

Quote:
Minegishi mentioning himself being the head sound designer and composer, specializing in "all the field and dungeon music".
that's helpful. tagging all field and dungeon music. I would assume that also includes Lake Hylia.

some other connections I've made atm:
"A Beast in the Village" has some similarities with "Hyrule Field Night Theme." (Minegishi)
"Fishing Hole" sounds very much like the Plaza music from Wii Fit. (Minegishi)
"Sled Game" shares some similarities with DK Summit on Mario Kart Wii. (Ota, for both)

if everyone has the same rip then it might be possible to take this further. i haven't totally written off the possibility of a full breakdown, however speculative. there's essentially only two composers so that makes it much easier.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz Lunar View Post
yeah it would be really cool to see sources. nonetheless, good info. kind of funny too, since i had thought he did the overworld music, yet in the text file accompanying prime blue's rip it said the song was "too good a composition to be from him." *rolls eyes*
Ha yeah, I remember thinking the same thing. That tune is pretty simplistic, even by Kondo standards. In fact, the whole OST seems overly simplistic, which is probably why I don't like it all that much on its own. It seems like more than half the tracks don't even have a bass track! There's still a few gems here and there, though.

I also heard the connection between "Sled Game" and "DK Summit" when I first played Mario Kart Wii.

Here's to hoping "Skyward Sword" is a giant step up from this, with hopefully KENTA NAGATA (dude owns) and Wakai at the helm again. "Spirit Tracks" was really, really good. I hope to see that trend continue.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 01:50 AM

@ chris Geez I don't have to give source all the time but I guess since this is a short album here it is.

Koji Kondo said in the interview he did the demo scene which is after the title sequence and before the main menu. It's called Orchestra piece #1 It's also arranged by him.

Toru wrote the majority of the score and here's prove he wrote these tunes in the album:

Now the zelda guitar handbook which I just got a few days ago (and also says that kenta nagata composed 'title' in wind waker) states that hyrule field was in fact composed by toru minegishi, and a song from the ripped soundtrack has ilia's theme AND a part of hyrule field theme in it as well. Listen to 'Find Ilia' and you'll understand.

The book also says that he wrote hidden village and find midna so he's done all other midna tracks. We all know by now that he wrote ordon village and mahito yokota wrote orchestral piece #2.

Asuka Ohta's part in the whole game score is a bit mysterious. She did a lot of boss battles I heard.

Koji Kondo obviously wrote death mountain and it's said that Toru arranged ALL of Koji Kondo's old tunes. This means he did Kakariko Villiage since it has a slight touch of kondo's old music.

There you go!
Old Dec 4, 2010, 02:10 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarist500 View Post
Koji Kondo said in the interview he did the demo scene which is after the title sequence and before the main menu. It's called Orchestra piece #1 It's also arranged by him.
As far as I know, Michiru Oshima is the arranger of Orchestra Piece #1.

Quote:
The process of creating the E3 trailer was fascinating. Three people (including me) each composed a different approach to the trailer’s music. Then we asked one of Japan’s most extraordinarily gifted composers and music arrangers, Michiru Oshima, to work her magic on all three pieces, envisioning how an orchestra could wrap its many instruments around the general music. We then recorded each of the three orchestrations with famed conductor Yasuzo Takemoto on hand, who you might know as the conductor who stood command over the amazing 2002 Smash Bros. concert in Japan.
Source: Zelda Universe
Old Dec 4, 2010, 02:15 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarist500 View Post
Geez I don't have to give source all the time but I guess since this is a short album here it is.
What makes you think so? Wikipedia would just kill your article with the usual 'missing references' reason.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 02:23 AM

And sorry I'm new to the websites and I don't know how to give links until just now. Zelda universe explains alot too.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 06:29 AM

The "main theme" (the melody of Hyrule Field) appears either in whole or in part all over the score, so I guess all such pieces can be attributed to Minegishi?
Old Dec 4, 2010, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Asuka Ohta's part in the whole game score is a bit mysterious. She did a lot of boss battles I heard.
where was it you heard this?
as soundtracks go it's fairly large, quite a lot for one composer. i would guess her role extends beyond boss battles.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 10:05 PM

@ Blitz Lunar

Don't worry this album I know exactly who composed and arranged. Check out these sites

Koji Kondo: http://www.zelda.com/universe/game/t...s/inside04.jsp
Toru Minegishi: http://www.zelda.com/universe/game/t...s/inside13.jsp

Asuka doesn't have one though. It seems as though her fingerprints are all over 'practice' song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azope...C6F44A&index=7

&

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyugkYFDN1Q

Don't worry about koji kondo because all he did was the the demo scene from this website (at the end of the interview) http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2007/03/vgl_koji_kondo_/

Check out http://vgmdb.net/album/19867 to see what toru wrote. Minegishi did probably around 7~8/10 of the score. Most like 9/10 though. That's just in my opinion.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 10:13 PM

Oh yea I forgot

Asuka Ota: http://www.squareenixmusic.com/compo...endo/ota.shtml
Toru Minegishi: http://www.squareenixmusic.com/compo...inegishi.shtml

You'll find good info there.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 02:35 AM

For the record, it's the owner of the website who needs more elaboration from you Anyway, I just removed the breakdown from the album page for now. We can verify it in this thread.

Last edited by Cedille; Dec 7, 2010 at 11:00 AM. Reason: brain-fart
Old Dec 7, 2010, 07:02 PM

lol you just ruined it all.

By the way, did you even bother to look at the sites? they explain everything.

The very LEAST you could have done is keep the toru minegishi's credit for hyrule main theme according to this http://vgmdb.net/album/19867

>.< maybe you should've just left it.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 03:09 AM

Last edited by Prime Blue; Mar 31, 2012 at 09:04 AM.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 01:12 AM

I'd like to know where Chris got the piece of info about Ohta in her bio on SEMO that she "added to the drama of the game with her orchestra and piano-based event themes and was also responsible for most of the battle themes." Japanese-only interview or something? I know the SEMO bios are pretty good on having accurate information otherwise hard to find in English.