VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Feb 21, 2010, 01:12 AM

Changed track 3 from "Grave of Being", which is ZUN's original title, to "Grave of the Shadow", which is Demetori's title. Double-checked everything else against the back and Demetori's site and it's all correct. I may scan some new pictures in since these are kinda small... if I can stop being lazy.

Also, I would love to know how some of these translations came to be, especially "venerable" out of 神さびた, which is kami (meaning god, divinity, spirit, etc), and then katakana for... sabita? Which seems to mean rusty? I'm not challenging this one as much as I am just curious as hell. I know so much more about translating Japanese since I started this (never even really understood hiragana and katakana before!), but man, there's so much more :P
Old Feb 21, 2010, 03:02 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Most of the current Touhou track translations are taken from the Touhou Wiki. There's some iffy ones (such as "Wind God Girl" for 風神少女, which some Japanese commentators on Nico Nico have contended to be "Windy Girl" instead), but it's better to keep them consistent for now.

As for your question, 神さびた comes from 神さびる which does mean "ancient", "venerable", etc. You have to be careful about splitting up kanji and hiragana -- in this case さびる is a suffix, not a noun or adjective.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 01:57 PM

Haha, wow, I can't figure that out, no matter how many combinations of stuff I search. I come up with zip about that suffix, all I get is "rusty". Guess there's a certain amount you can't learn online... or at least, not easily.

EDIT: I added some cans of everything (including the obi this time!). Actually I scanned the freaking jewel case in and everything.

I made another small edit to the tracklist - "Lunar Dial" to "Luna Dial". The extra 'r' is absent from both the original Japanese characters and Touhou Wiki's translations, so it's still consistent. I would still love to see some more accurate translations, even if they're just a post in this thread (so we can still keep consistency in the database's tracklist).

Last edited by Hellacia; Feb 25, 2010 at 04:13 PM.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 12:06 PM

Changed Il Mondo dove e finito il Tempo to Il mondo dove e finito il tempo. Only the booklet front capitalizes 'mondo', and nothing capitalizes 'tempo'. Everything else only capitalizes the first 'Il'. Also added the disc ID, renamed some scans... change the booklet names if you don't like them