VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Dec 14, 2010, 01:24 PM

Why is Kanno listed for lyrics in the notes? What does NB mean? Why is life so mysterious?

Quote:
NB: For lyrics and vocals, Gabriela Robin who has been rumored to be the pseudonym of Yoko Kanno is credited.
(shouldn't Robin be listed first anyway?)
Old Dec 14, 2010, 04:01 PM

NB, i.e, nota bene
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nota_bene
You'll see it used frequently in academic texts and publications.

I created the entry for the album and all credits and notes (except for the NB at the end), and listed Kanno for all lyrics/vocals attributed to her pseudonym Gabriela Robin.

I didn't notice when the "NB" note was added or who added it, but there really isn't much of a debate here anyway. Robin is a pseudonym.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 04:24 AM

Well, it wasn't really debate, but after seeing this
http://vgmdb.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4982
I guess I'll just pretend it's not a speculation/rumor from the info listed on the artist page. I didn't know about Robin's "appearance" before this, though.

Maybe someone could update that artist page? Maybe I was being lazy, but I don't usually search so much into pseudonyms with speculative rumors, but mostly because I wouldn't expect proof to be found.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 12:38 AM

Really like Kanno, but could't get into this album that much. This EDEN is really nice though. However, all one really needs is The Man in the Desert, which will be in my musical rotation of the rest of my life, and, if anything, after death. I realized there was something real special about it on first listen, but on repeated listens it just keeps getting better and better and better. Haunting...Beautiful.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BahamutZ View Post
Really like Kanno, but could't get into this album that much. This EDEN is really nice though. However, all one really needs is The Man in the Desert, which will be in my musical rotation of the rest of my life, and, if anything, after death. I realized there was something real special about it on first listen, but on repeated listens it just keeps getting better and better and better. Haunting...Beautiful.
Agreed. The man in the desert really is a very special piece of music. Kanno takes the idea of an orchestrated crescendo and minimalism and blends them with her love of ensemble color. If this piece is based on another work, I'd love to know what it is.

I enjoy the vocal tracks on this CD, but it's really the second half, track 7 and on, where the album takes flight. The poetic and quaint Artisan; the dual-images of apocalypse and rebirth of The Ship; the jubilant and sacred Hallelujah; and Kanno's own personal pensive yet quirky nod to Rachmaninoff in Lydia. I love it all.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 01:13 AM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

I added "Original Soundtrack" to the classification. Someone who owns the game Earthwinds has confirmed that the five tracks from that game on this album are the same as how they appears in the game itself. So, those pieces are not new arrangements made for this album.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 01:40 AM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

I added images of the Earthwinds game box (front, back), and manual (front, p. 16). It shows that the game and Song for you were marketed/released together. And it confirms that the audio is the same between both products.

Last edited by Chris Porter; Apr 20, 2021 at 04:21 AM.