VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > Questions and Comments
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Aug 3, 2008, 10:40 AM
Trusted Editor

Default Custom made covers on VGMdb

With the entry of this album http://vgmdb.net/db/albums.php?id=9817
we've come to the point where we have to discuss the helpfulness and significance of having fan made covers (including artwork of the discs as well) on VGMdb.

Artwork for cd-rs or digital recordings is commonplace in the film music community, but should we accept photoshop creations in this database?

I oppose this for several reasons:

1. Allowing self made covers means anybody can add their own artwork, whether it actually looks good or not.

2. There would be no limit to how many different covers an album has, as there is often no official and never a "best" one.

3. It could only be a matter of time until artists put watermarks in their pictures. I don't think somebody who wasn't involved in the creation of the music should take credit for this unless he's been hired by the creator or producer to design the booklet.

4. Confusion. Game rips could be turned into digital albums. Digital albums could be turned into CDs and people started looking for physical copies. In the past certain individuals have exploited the mix'n'mojo covers to sell Lucas Arts soundtrack CDs on Ebay. If worst comes to the worst we could catalogue these as "bootlegs" again.

With that in mind I also oppose the idea of adding website logos, game logos, etc. on digital release entries.
Old Aug 3, 2008, 12:04 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Fan made covers have no place here. Digital releases that don't have covers, will just have no cover on the album page.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 02:40 PM
VGMdb Advisor

A somewhat related question, that album and a System Shock 2 one were WAV/MP3s released by the composer in a message board, ripped from a master CD he had around.

It's okay to add this kind of stuff? I think they are closer to redbook audio than actual releases. What about things like the Okami NES retro versions, or MP3s released in official websites then?
Old Aug 5, 2008, 04:07 AM
VGMdb Staff

That's an interesting question, Dag.

That System Shock 2 example, is it just a bunch of files, without a proper a tracklist or tracknames? I think for something to be added, there has to be something to actually add, if you see what I mean. This here is a good example of a composer released cd-r that would warrant inclusion.

Similarly, he Okami "retro version" consisted only of a bunch of mp3s, with no official track numbering (as far as I can remember). I'm not even sure if the 17 tracks I found were all there were on the site. As for other "mp3's officially posted on a website" releases, we already have at least one of those in the database already...
Old Aug 5, 2008, 05:21 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

So i guess we could add Kevin Manthei's CDs then..?
(these are just signed cd-r) sold exclusively by the composer (and maybe by Syn Soniq i don't remember)
Old Aug 5, 2008, 05:22 AM
VGMdb Administrator

It's packaged as an album, with determined track order, and comes from an official source, so that should make it eligible.