VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jul 25, 2013, 11:37 AM

Default To add or not to add...new entries?

Without boring you will all the gory details, I've been organizing my collection with a cataloging app called Memento and I'm finally done. I've been collecting for over 10 years, so it took me a while.

I have some obscure soundtracks that I don't want to spend alot of time scanning and inputing into the VGM database, if they're just going to get deleted because there is little or no "evidence" of their legitimacy.

Here they are:

Darkness II soundtrack (promotional CD)

Riders of Rohan soundtrack (promotional CD)

Night of the Rabbit soundtrack (came with Daedalic promotional bundle that included Deponia, Satinav Ketten OSTs and a rabbit stuffed figure)

Dead Space 5.1 DTS surround soundtrack (this was a demo CD used by a local Best Buy store to show off their "Magnolia Theater Room". They had the jewel case displayed with a "Now Playing" sign on top of an Onkyo 5.1 processor. I asked the manager what they would do with it when they were done. I offered him money, but he refused and said I could have it. It does not seem to be an upmix, as it will NOT play without a DTS decoder. They had 2 copies. They are lightscribe CD-Rs. The inserts seem to be factory printed.)

Dragon Age Origins 5.1 DTS surround soundtrack (same as Dead Space above)

Daggerfall: Music of Tamriel (pre-sell bonus at a store called Egghead Software)

Elder Scrolls: Battlespire audio CD (a younger couple from france was having a garage sale and they had the Redguard game and also Battlespire amongst the items. Amused by the french writing on the box, I picked up the Battlespire box and when I looked inside I saw there were TWO CDs. One was "La Musique de Battlespire bonus CD". I looked in the Redguard box and it too had an audio CD)

Elder Scrolls: Redguard audio CD (same as Battlespire, except everything was in english on this box??)

If a mod could tell me what they are interested in, I will post it. If you don't approve of it let me know before I spend too much time on it.

Thanx
Old Jul 25, 2013, 02:16 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Since you own these, and can provide scans along with info about where and how they are released, that's usually enough evidence that they are legitimate.

The only ones I'd question on your list are the DTS demo CDs, but would like to see what they look like before saying for certain.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 03:55 PM

Yeah, lightscribes don't really scream "OFFICIAL" . But these CDs are very interesting (not official):

I know there are several decent "upmixing" programs out there, but the tracks generated will usually play on a standard CD player, which will downmix them to stereo if necessary. These CDs will only play with DTS decoding. (found that out the hard way when I picked them up and excitedly stuck one in my car CD player, only to get a BLAST of static noise!) I'm not familiar with what it would take to code "true" DTS. I could be completely wrong, but I would think this needs to be done in a studio.

The tracks seem to be discreet. If I force my processor to "stereo" mode, there is definitely music missing, which would be coming from the surround speakers.

The source (Best Buy) lacks any motivation to pawn off a pirated product. They did not try to sell it to me and seemed rather uninterested in the CDs after they served their purpose. Additionally, and this is COMPLETE speculation, but I would think a major store chain like that would try to avoid any possible legal ramifications and get permission to produce the demo CDs, which could explain why they are CD-Rs, since they only probably made a handfull.

The only caveat that makes these CDs puzzling is: why choose video game music??? There is plenty of 5.1 audio out there...though they were aslo rotating them with some Queen and Eagles 5.1 concert DVDs.

Anyway, it's only 2 entries, so I'll post them and you can decide.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 04:25 PM
Trusted Editor

There is nothing magical about these DTS discs:
Wikipedia

It's just that they weren't produced in large quantities.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 05:07 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lich King View Post

Daggerfall: Music of Tamriel (pre-sell bonus at a store called Egghead Software)
~~ I am familiar with the old Egghead Software retail chain. I never knew they released a bonus soundtrack for Daggerfall. I am extremely interested in this ... I wonder if somebody asked around at Bethesda (if anyone from the Arena/Daggerfall days are still around?) if they know how many of these CDs were made?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lich King View Post
Elder Scrolls: Battlespire audio CD (a younger couple from france was having a garage sale and they had the Redguard game and also Battlespire amongst the items. Amused by the french writing on the box, I picked up the Battlespire box and when I looked inside I saw there were TWO CDs. One was "La Musique de Battlespire bonus CD". I looked in the Redguard box and it too had an audio CD)

Elder Scrolls: Redguard audio CD (same as Battlespire, except everything was in english on this box??)
I'm also interested in these.

Do these three albums have tracklists anywhere with their packaging?

This is all very very cool stuff you have, sir.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidAcid View Post
There is nothing magical about these DTS discs:
Wikipedia

It's just that they weren't produced in large quantities.
Ummmm...completely lost me.

"Magical"??
Old Jul 25, 2013, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramza View Post
Do these three albums have tracklists anywhere with their packaging?

This is all very very cool stuff you have, sir.
Daggerfall does not.

Redguard:
Main Theme 3:06
The Adventure 2:46
Draggin' Tale Inn 1:10
Stros M'Kai 2:13
Redguard March 3:02
Valor & Honor 3:42
End Title :57

Battlespire:
01 Battlespire Intro Theme 1:35
02 The Battlespire 3:07
03 Into the Spire 3:00
04 Oht, Ayem, Hekem and Yoodt 3:03
05 Shade Perilous 3:18
06 The Chimera of Desolation 3:02
07 Iya Payem and Tayem Sigils 3:10
08 Dagon's Hunting Lodge 3:08
Old Jul 26, 2013, 03:39 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

I am on par with Secret Squirrel, i think there's no problem posting these albums if you provide scans.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 10:29 AM

Unfortunately, i think my scanner went out last night right after i scanned the 25 to Life CD.

I spent like 2 hours trouble shooting it, but windows will not recognize it.

I'd hate to just take pictures, but i think i might have to do that for now.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 10:56 AM

Actually, found this site making reference to the Riders of Rohan promo CD by Chance Thomas.

So I guess this CD is in the clear.

http://www.originalsoundversion.com/...ack-cd-coming/

Last edited by Lich King; Jul 26, 2013 at 10:58 AM.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 12:56 PM
VGMdb Advisor

yes, the CD version Rohan soundtrack is pretty recent and I think a lot of them were printed and sent to lots of folks. I own one as well.

As for the others ... can't wait to see what comes of it.