VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Animation Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old May 13, 2010, 08:53 AM
VGMdb Staff

I don't see this being eligible just because a game was made based on the same story. We'd have to add a ton of movie soundtracks and such.
Old May 13, 2010, 09:25 AM

Thumbs up

Then I'm guessing this, this and this, and a bunch of other entries similar to these should also be discarded...

This is relevant to the game, so it has equal merit to have an entry. With all due respect.
Old May 13, 2010, 09:30 AM
VGMdb Administrator

This fits into the database at least as a works album for Joe Hisaishi.
Old May 13, 2010, 09:32 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoZeke View Post
Then I'm guessing this, this and this, and a bunch of other entries similar to these should also be discarded...
No, the Street Fighter Movie Soundtrack is allowed because it is based on the game (the game being the original product). The Godzilla vs. Biollante soundtracks are allowed as 'works' entries for Koichi Sugiyama.

For a soundtrack for a filmatization of a product to be eligible, the game has to be the original product. Otherwise every film soundtrack for every film which has also been made into a game would be eligible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
This fits into the database at least as a works album for Joe Hisaishi.
How can Joe Hisaishi be eligible for 'works' status when he is just as well known (though not necessarily in the west) as a film composer and solo artist? He is really no more eligible than Yoko Kanno was, probably less. He is rather comparable to Ryuichi Sakamoto in this case.

Last edited by seanne; May 13, 2010 at 09:40 AM.
Old May 13, 2010, 09:47 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanne View Post
How can Joe Hisaishi be eligible for 'works' status when he is just as well known (though not necessarily in the west) as a film composer and original music composer? He is really no more eligible than Yoko Kanno was, probably less. He is rather comparable to Ryuichi Sakamoto in this case.
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (1984), My Neighbor Totoro (1988), Kiki's Delivery Service(1991), Princess Mononoke (1997), Spirited Away (2001), Howl's Moving Castle (2004) and Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea (2008)

That earns a spot for some works albums. As a composer, his name is practically synonymous with music for high-quality animes. I'd rank him a lot higher than Ryuichi Sakamoto in the pecking order -- probably top 5.

Now, I don't think we want to reproduce his whole film discography here, but some are fine. This album has a bit more going for it. It's an album that is part of a franchise that is mostly video game products.

EDIT - This is listed as anime for some reason. I don't know what this is, and will have to research it. I'll have to talk to Akumu about following our submission guidelines.
Old May 13, 2010, 10:02 AM
VGMdb Advisor

I added this because it's tied to both a game and a high profile anime composer, so I figured it fit in well.
Old May 13, 2010, 10:05 AM
VGMdb Staff

I guess I don't understand the grounds for works eligibility anymore then =b And Parasite Eve was a book that was made into a film that was then made into two video games. I'm sure there are plenty of other cases like this, not to mention obvious ones like Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, etc.

A quick tabulation of Hisaishi's works; 25-30 anime works, 30-35 film works, 20 TV works, 30 solo albums.
Old May 13, 2010, 11:29 AM
VGMdb Administrator

So it looks like Parasite Eve was pretty big before the games came along. I never knew that. This case is somewhat borderline then.

Let's stick with adding basic anime stuff for now. When the anime database is further along, we can discuss where the boundaries lie.
Old May 13, 2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
[...]

EDIT - This is listed as anime for some reason. I don't know what this is, and will have to research it. I'll have to talk to Akumu about following our submission guidelines.
Parasite Eve was a novel written by Hideaki Sena that was adapted to a film, then the story was continued with the first two games. The 3rd Birthday, the newest iteration, although a spin-off, will be the newest entry in the series.

This soundtrack in particular is from the movie. I personally believe that the entry is valid since it relates to the Parasite Eve series, but who am I to say what is valid or not. I'm humbly sharing my 2¢.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 07:57 AM

Shouldn't the product on this be desynchronized with the first game? Something like "Parasite Eve (Movie)" perhaps?
Old Nov 19, 2010, 10:47 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I've desynchronized it. I wonder if there should be product color-coding. The only problem with that is it'd interfere with the idea of using the dark blue color when a product's music is merely featured.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 07:23 PM

Just rambling, not objection, but I for one don't see much problem with the first game adaption albums being displayed as "Related Albums" at the page of this album, because they're certainly related, even if it lacks the direct product relationship. Any album (yet nothing else) that has the same text in the product field shows up there. Plus, if we only want to know what albums are truly from the first game, this page fulfills that purpose. In this case, I'd just change the display name of this product as "Parasite Eve (Film)" while keeping "Parasite Eve" in the product field text. It'd sometimes be better to add some prefix like (Anime) to the display name to avoid confusion like we've done until recently, as we already decided to be less anal picky with the product names and the point of this product table I suppose is to improve usability.

Or rather, maybe we should start to use this "Related Albums" section for anything else (for example, place "Chill SQ" as the related album of "Love SQ" and "More SQ"), since we already have the product table which is a much better way to sort out albums by product and reduces the significance of the feature where a related album is only determined by an exact text match.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 07:31 PM
Trusted Editor

Updated tracklist, album info, arranger field from cd insert.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 08:15 PM
Trusted Editor

Also added guest musicians and producer. The rest of the credits are all in Japanese and not musically relevant (well, artist anyway).
Old Nov 1, 2022, 02:36 PM

The booklet is a trifold, so I've uploaded scans of my copy.

Should there be a Japanese tracklist? The song titles are only given in English.