VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Oct 9, 2022, 12:54 PM

Default Xenoblade 3 composer/arranger credits speculation (No spoilers please!)

EDIT: See Mentalo's post, actual artist credits (though no specific composer/arrangers breakdowns yet).

Last edited by Jormungand; Oct 10, 2022 at 01:24 PM.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 02:05 PM

Copyright data for the game's music was recently uploaded to the JASRAC site, so we indeed have official names and official composers info for the music!
Here's a link to a reddit post where this subject is discussed if people want to check it:

For Xenoblade 2, I had quite a few guesses wrong, but this time, with the help of the game's credits (which have detailed performers credits for each composer (or group of composers)!!!), I was able to guess correctly a lot more themes (most notably almost all of the field themes and most of the battle themes). But I have to admit that the heavy use of orchestra in this game makes it sometimes difficult to recognise a composer's style.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 03:35 PM

LOL of course. Oh well, thank you Mentalo! I have edited that into OP so people can go there first.

Quote:
But I have to admit that the heavy use of orchestra in this game makes it sometimes difficult to recognise a composer's style.
Yep this makes things difficult, unless a specific composer is also skilled in orchestration. None of the involved people here are, aside from Mitsuda, who even though studied and did it for years doesn't have a really unique orchestral voice (compared to say Sakimoto/Tanaka/Matsuo/Wakai/Kanno/Tamawarai etc.)

Meaning maybe Abounnasr handled more than is apparent right now on the JASRAC credits.

I still don't buy that Hiramatsu composed The Keves Castle battle theme unless he was specifically aping Mitsuda's style.

Last edited by Jormungand; Oct 9, 2022 at 03:43 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 03:06 PM

After sitting on the new info for a day, I've come to wonder if Mitsuda, as Music Director, had his team of composers do something similar to Luminous Arc 2.

For those unaware, for LA2, Mitsuda mixed up who did what with their particular strengths on the composer team (Akari Kaida, Yoshino Aoki, Yoko Shimomura, and Shunsuke Tsuchiya), in some cases some of them imitated each other's styles. And then at the conclusion of the soundtrack's completion, for fun, they tried to guess who composed which tracks.

(for example, Kaida composed "A Retribution That Comes And Goes" in the style of Shimomura, and she did a remarkable job at it too. You can read more in a translated interview about the soundtrack.)

So maybe Mitsuda had the Xenoblade 3 team do that too?
In my previous post I mentioned surprise (and disbelief) at Hiramatsu doing the Keves Castle battle theme, because it's exactly how Mitsuda does and has does battle themes. And yet I am 0% surprised at him doing Millick Meadows--I heard it at first thinking, "OK, here's the next Gaur Plains/Gormott variation" and then being entirely underwhelmed.😂 It makes so much more sense now...

Last edited by Jormungand; Oct 10, 2022 at 03:12 PM.
Old Nov 16, 2022, 04:11 AM

Xenoblade 3 has been nominated for the Game of the Year Awards 2022 and Yasunori Mitsuda for Best Score and Music for Xenoblade Chronicles 3! Yay! I'm so glad this wonderful game made it this far. Any thoughts about this announcement?