VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Jun 4, 2014, 06:09 AM

Shouldn't this be split because the Limited Edition contains the 5 track CD but not the 20 track CD.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 06:20 AM
VGMdb Staff

This is SE store US Collector's Edition, not Limited (the one that costs $40) and the CE has both CDs.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 10:02 AM
Trusted Editor

What does that matter? It's two different CDs. The CE has both, the LE has just the remix cd. You essentially added an entry for the Collectors Edition product as a whole and are classifying the cd and contents as enclosure, which is wrong? It needs two entries because they're two separate CDs.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 11:26 AM
VGMdb Staff

Why wouldn't it matter? It's not wrong because CE is one package and you get both discs in it. CE needs just one entry. As simple as that. (btw of course it's an enclosure)
Old Jun 4, 2014, 11:31 AM
Trusted Editor

It's not as simple as that. This is a database of music, not collectors edition games. It's also clear from the images that they are separate entities. Disc 1/disc 2 implies they're a related pair -- they are not. One is a remix cd, one is a best of cd. They are just packaged in the same GAME package. We don't have entries for GAMES, we have entries for soundtracks. Also the fact that the LE has the remix cd only.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 11:37 AM
VGMdb Staff

That is the point as with any Game Collector's Edition, globally speaking, main product is the game disc/whatever other carrier the game is on while the music CDs are "bonus" material, game disc is never included on vgmdb entry hence the enclosure of only relevant material to this database - the music CDs.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 11:46 AM
Trusted Editor

It's pointless to argue with you or any staff (sans SS) because there's gross inconsistency between every single staff member here and completely arbitrary application of whatever loose and fuzzy standards exist. Do whatever you want, you will anyway.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 11:54 AM
VGMdb Staff

So you have anime bluray with 2 bonus CDs (technically 3 discs, anime bluray is commercially the main thing), one soundtrack, one drama. Sure they are content-wise different CDs. At VGMdb, both of CDs will get one enclosure entry. What's so new about it?

Same with game collector's editions. Don't tell me you've never seen entry for a soundtrack CD that is included in some game CE. Of course that entry isn't made for the game disc, it's made because of the music CD.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 12:11 PM
Trusted Editor

In this case I think those cds should get own entries, especially when you can get one of them in two different editions, and both cds only in one edition.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 12:17 PM
Trusted Editor

But the enclosure is the game ... edition which is the problem. You essentially added a collectors edition game, that happens to have soundtracks, to the database. It's a data integrity issue at the database level, and I realize there's not a better way to do it but it doesn't make sense.

You've enclosed two soundtracks and linked them together solely on the fact that they're enclosed together in the same game bundle. Which poses these questions:

- how do you identify which is disc 1 and which is disc 2? They are likely not labeled as such.
- how do you address the issue that someone might have one cd but not the other? If they have the best of, they could say "I own this but I don't have the remix disc". If they have just the remix disc and not the best of they could say the opposite. Or they could add the LE and say they really own the "CE". Both are undesirable and strange workarounds.
- still a strange solution to have both LE and CE entries exist when both share the same remix cd and CE only had the best of, especially seeing the enormously long and concatenated album title.

It makes logical sense (to me) to only have two single disc entries instead of one entry with one disc and one with two.

ie:

Remix disc --> "available in both CE and LE editions of the from so shop"
Best of disc --> "only available in CE from so shop"

I have never seen anime blurays with 2 bonus CDs. Usually volume 1 has a soundtrack, volume 3 has a drama, volume 4 has something else, etc. and it's not really an issue because it's 1:1 enclosure:album. It's also not a problem if bonus materials are double disc and explicitly contained as such (2 discs in one double disc case) or explicitly labeled as disc 1, disc 2, disc ... n. But if you have two or more completely loose and free floating / existing discs, they become their own entities, imo. I'm sure we could each find examples to prove our individual points but it doesn't make sense or help discuss the issue.

This all makes sense to me because of working with databases and data integrity and design issues for the last 10 years but maybe I'm just crazy.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 12:49 PM

or you only make an entry for CE and specify that LE has one cd only ;p
Old Jun 4, 2014, 12:55 PM
VGMdb Staff

Just to repeat this - entries for relevant material from game CE (as with anime blurays that have bonus CDs) work on a package level aka enclosure because the bonus CDs aren't standalone/main product (as with normal music albums/singles etc.), you get the bonus CD(s) only if you buy the package where the main product is quite naturally the game itself. So you cannot get them separately, it's either you buy the game CE with all the bonus things included in one such CE or don't buy and you get nothing from the extra stuff.

I was saying (if you notice) the CE needs one entry. So technically you can get just the remix CD if you buy only the LE and that's fine. That can be acquired separately. But to get the 'best of' CD here, you must buy CE which also includes the remix CD. You shouldn't make a separate entry for the 'best of' disc because you can't get that one separately, only in the CE package which is the point of this particular entry, why both discs are together here.

What disc is 'first' and what is 'second' doesn't matter much if they don't have their own catalogs, you can get the order as it was advertised. In case CDs do have simple catalogs, then the order is given by them.

If some album title is too long, that's just personal preference. Some folks don't like walls of text in the notes. Some don't like to see all orchestra members (when all of them are credited) in the performers field because it's "too much" etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonograph View Post
or you only make an entry for CE and specify that LE has one cd only ;p
^ well pretty much this lol
Old Sep 12, 2014, 01:21 PM

My vote is for separate entries.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 04:38 PM
Trusted Editor

Again, not sure how to differentiate between disc 1 and disc 2. I just added them in whatever order. Still vote separate entries is the most logical, this way is dumb imo. Also, not sure what to do with the tracklist. The game name is in a second column so not sure if I should just exclude it or include it but I included it for now. The only one that looks weird is 203 but adding parenthesis to it isn't accurate according to the inserts.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcubalis View Post
My vote is for separate entries.
Same. Most people who pre-ordered the game will only get disc 2 from this package. It doesn't make sense to lump them together, when CE owners can just add both CDs separately.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 03:03 AM
VGMdb Staff

As I was saying, you can make a separate entry for the disc which is available separately (remix disc) but not for the one that is not and give the false impression it's also available separately.

If that was in place, there would be two separate entries for The Witcher actual soundtrack and inspired by music even though you get them both in one package only.

Take note the Soundtrack got a separate entry because it was available separately
http://vgmdb.net/album/14195

Last edited by Efendija; Sep 18, 2014 at 03:10 AM.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 08:24 PM

I guess we should see how the discs are housed. The remix disc comes in a sleeve in the pre-order version. If both discs are contained within a single package in the LE version, then perhaps they warrant their joined entry. If it's the sleeve with the remix disc and a separate sleeve with the best of collection, they should have separate entries.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 12:55 AM

my best of selection cd case is a 2 cd case so I put both discs in the same case.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 04:20 AM
Trusted Editor

The remix comes in a separate sleeve by itself like James said, the best of is in a 2CD case. The real question is does anyone know the artists for the remix tracks? They're completely uncredited.

Last edited by dancey; Sep 25, 2014 at 04:36 AM.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 04:34 AM
Trusted Editor

-phone double posted-
Old Dec 20, 2014, 06:41 AM

There's some credit for sound designer, etc, but nothing for music specifically beyond the original composers, unless I missed it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0jptsSV-Jc
Old Dec 20, 2014, 06:42 AM

There's some credit for sound designer, etc, but nothing for music specifically beyond the original composers, unless I missed it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0jptsSV-Jc
Old Jul 13, 2016, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efendija View Post
Just to repeat this - entries for relevant material from game CE (as with anime blurays that have bonus CDs) work on a package level aka enclosure because the bonus CDs aren't standalone/main product (as with normal music albums/singles etc.), you get the bonus CD(s) only if you buy the package where the main product is quite naturally the game itself. So you cannot get them separately, it's either you buy the game CE with all the bonus things included in one such CE or don't buy and you get nothing from the extra stuff.
Sorry for re-opening this years-old can of worms, but as of a few months you can get the "Best of" CD as a standalone via the North American Square Enix Rewards Program. This renders the above argument for lumping both CDs together moot. Here's a pic showing the CD I got. While the case says 2 CDs, it only contains the Best of CD. This is also specified on the SE Reawrds page. Thoughts?