VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jul 13, 2018, 05:08 PM
VGMdb Staff

I'd be fine with any of those but if I had to pick 1 it would be Fire Emblem.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 04:08 AM
Trusted Editor

Of those I would pick Suikoden first or Fire Emblem second. I hope starting with multiple projects results in more publicity and backers, and not less funds for either project. Good luck
Old Jul 16, 2018, 03:10 PM

I'd say, Fire Emblem or Suikoden are more viable financially and commercially than Star Fox, but my personal pick would be Star Fox. Too little orchestral of this saga when, as an obvious game franchise inspired by space opera, needs to have it.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 08:57 AM

My pick would be Star Fox as well.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 04:12 PM

Since it is taking a bit longer for Illusion of Gaia negotiation, VGM Classics decided to go with presenting all three titles for initial Kickstarter campaigns:
Star Fox (SNES/SFC)
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon (DS, FC/SFC/DS)
Suikoden II (PS, PSP)

We will start the crowd-funding in a day or so. I am not sure how things will go, but we will see sooner or later.

When we have the Illusion of Gaia permission, then we will start a campaign for it as well.

Last edited by Kentaro Sato; Jul 18, 2018 at 04:23 PM.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 01:17 PM

VGM Classics has started three crowd-funding campaigns!

I would like to express my thank to all who contributed in this thread,
and of course, all members who have contributed to this site.
This site has been great resource for VGMC's research providing many pieces of great data.
And as a Japanese, I would like to thank all who have contributed and supported something which came out from the country where I was born.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...chestral-cd-cd

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...chestral-cd-cd

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...hestral-cd-2cd

I am not sure how things will go. But we will know at the end of the August.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 03:37 PM
VGMdb Staff

I did my part and backed all three. I hope you're able to spread the word about it.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 08:26 PM
Trusted Editor

Just a heads-up, the pages for Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and Suikoden 2 are mixed up.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 11:26 PM

I will try to back all three as I think they are all worthwhile longterm projects. All that matters is publicity now. I aIready listed a few places and people that would promote it so I hope they take notice. I'm optimistic we will get at least one of them funded. Best of luck to your endeavor and the future of your record label, Ken-P.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 12:01 AM

Dear Teioh

Thank you for letting us know! I think the issues are now fixed!
Old Jul 20, 2018, 04:14 AM

Well I'm certainly NOT going to drop $15 on an album of Mp3s. Make it lossless and I'll gladly back at least one of them. It's boggling that in this day and age (current year argument, yes I know) that FLAC isn't offered here.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 06:23 AM

Dear TerraEpon
I am sorry if you feel that way. Unfortunately, VGMC was not able to offer direct download distribution of lossless standard-audio and high definition audio format for one major reason....
That is many copyright owners hate the idea of direct download distributions of any lossless audio format. They are ok, if the distribution is done in countable physical format with involvement of third-party manufacturer to which the right owners could contact to check the number.
All are ok with compressed audio online direct distribution, so that is why there is a mp3 distribution option.

We might be able to use 3rd party lossless audio distributors in the future, but we can not use their service unfortunately for crowd-funding campaigns.

Last edited by Kentaro Sato; Jul 20, 2018 at 08:29 AM.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 06:29 AM
Trusted Editor

I backed all 3, here's hoping for success! Good luck!
Old Jul 20, 2018, 09:19 AM

Thank you, dancey!

=====

And, adding my previous post on distribution method... VGMC would not be able to include analog record/LP for a initial crowd-funding option... This is due to the fact analog record production and distribution is much much more expensive than CD/DVD.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 01:34 PM

Are there any Japanese sites this campaign could be advertised on, in hopes of getting more backers?
Old Jul 23, 2018, 04:15 AM
Trusted Editor

It seems the press is just picking this up with a press release from today/yesterday.

https://www.value-press.com/pressrelease/205156
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/pressr...Game_Music.php

So far I see one major website reporting on it:
https://www.gamer.ne.jp/news/201807230006/

Edit: more websites reporting on it:
http://gameperspectives.hr/vgm-class...tarijih-igara/
https://mediahavefun.com/vgm-classic...sik-video-game
https://gamingaudionews.com/2018/07/...-vgm-classics/
http://www.originalsoundversion.com/...al-vgm-albums/
http://manajournal.com/2018/07/25/vg...eo-game-albums
https://www.oldschoolgamermagazine.c...eo-game-music/
https://twitter.com/SuikodenRevival/...50859812282368

I am guessing if this gets noticed by sites like 4Gamer in Japan or Siliconera and Gematsu in the West, it could be funded pretty quickly, so let's hope for that. I'd expect websites like VGMOnline or Original Sound Version to report on this eventually, too.
Maybe we can keep track of this.

Glad to see Suikoden II is doing pretty well, but I'm not sure the dedicated communities, like Suikoden Revival or Suikosource know about this yet. The number of retweets on Kentaro Sato's Japanese Twitter account for this project is actually really amazing (700+).
Interestingly and totally unrelated, there's a Suikoden concert by JAGMO taking place these days in Japan, but maybe this gives the project another boost.

Last edited by Teioh; Jul 30, 2018 at 10:11 PM.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 06:02 AM

Hi. I think VGMC submitted the press release last Sunday. So, I hope things would be picked up.

VGMC is a start-up company after all, and, honestly I am completely novice when it comes to promotion. But I will do my best for my side.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 12:08 PM

Ideas for albums:

Final Fantasy VII orchestra album - sorry!

Mako Reactor (lots of interesting instrumentation options)
Cid's Theme
Cosmo Canyon
Judgement Day
Reunion
Staff Roll (Thank you so much for orchestrating part of this in Dissidia!!!!)

Bonus track: Oppressed People / It's Difficult Standing on Both Feet, isn't it? (reggae/sea shanty medley!)

Brave Fencer Musashiden album
Anything from this game would be great

Final Fantasy VI album -
using ancient instruments https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMnLV38EVxQ

Last edited by fructus; Jul 23, 2018 at 12:24 PM.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 12:43 PM

Dear fructus
Of course, FFVII would certainly make a great orchestral album.

Brave Fencer Musashi is fine too, and I know Sekito-san well as we worked together in the past. Only downside is that the sound/music department and the right/IP/CD department of SQEX are very different. If VGMC is not careful, we put Sekito-san in a difficult position, and I don't want that to happen since he works at SQEX and is not a freelancer.

And ancient or period instruments... Although we did researched budgets for smaller or chamber ensembles, we really have not thought about those at VGMC, and therefore no idea in terms of budgets etc.
But, there are some pieces of video game music which does not really fit to the full or modern orchestral sounds. Although VGMC considers the orchestral sound (larger or smaller) to be the main focus, it would be good to research about period instruments for the future.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 11:09 AM

I've backed all three as well. Good luck, VGMC! I am happy to see a project select game titles that are not arranged as much as other titles such as Final Fantasy.

That said, I do have one concern: what happens if all three campaigns are funded? The release date for each is February of next year and that seems incredibly ambitious for three projects. I've seen too many kickstarted music projects fail with just one campaign and deliver poor quality as schedules miss deadlines.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 02:34 PM

Dear Zorbfish

Thank you for your support! Though VGMC might plan FF projects in the future (like it did at the beginning), we are committed to present variety of games as candidates.

I am not familiar with other kickstarted music projects, but as my commercial/media work experiences tell, the most time-consuming part has always been "a composing part," not arranging/recording/post-production parts.
In this particular situation, the most time-consuming part has already been done, and therefore, we are optimistic about it. And once the first project was ended, the second project will be faster. So, if all three were funded, wonderful, we would take care of them.

And if all three were failed to reach the goal, fine, VGMC will present other projects and/or the same projects differently until we find something many fans are excited about it.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 12:39 PM

An important announcement on three crowd-funding campaigns!
---------
VGMC for immediate release
----
As industry insiders, we have just received news today about the launch of “Amazon Media on Demand.” Since the Amazon service will stop the service that we had considered for our DOD Edition CD and for the HD audio file/DVD distribution, this will affect our current three campaigns. Fortunately, this new Amazon Media on Demand service looks to provide better services and possibilities for VGM Classics.

We want to thank all those who have supported our campaigns so far and those who have suggested improvements and offered creative solutions. One such solution was to “do new recordings and distribute them digitally to supporters, and forget about physical discs if that keep costs high. It is nice to have physical discs, but they are not a necessity for many fans in this day and age, and a fan can buy a DOD edition CD separately if s/he wish to.” Another was to “scale the recording in such a way that it could start as an orchestral mini-album with a lower campaign goal, because then the more the project attracted pledges, the longer and fuller the album could become. It is better to have a mini-album than nothing.” These suggestions and solutions were extremely helpful. With the new Amazon Media on Demand programs (like its multi-disc service), implementing these suggestions/solutions would open up a way to lower our pledge goals.

For now, we will talk to Amazon to find out more about the new service. As a result, we might need to renegotiate with the copyright owners and/or other parties about the possibility of distributing permanent-download-based uncompressed/lossless audio files (FLAC). We will have more information for you in a few days, and then we will ask for your opinion. Please stay alert for these further announcements!

----------
Old Jul 31, 2018, 06:09 AM
Trusted Editor

So there has been a lot of development on Kickstarter regarding these projects. I have to admit I am a bit worried when goals and direction are changed in an ongoing campaign,but hopefully it's for the best of it.
I pledged for the Limited Edition CDs and I would very much appreciate a physical CD of some sort, but with a possible length depending on the final budget this could be a gamble. Right now the concepts and ideas seem a bit complicated and jumbled but I'm sure once the facts are established, this goes on track again.

As I understand there will probably be new campaign,so we'll see.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 06:51 AM
Trusted Editor

I agree, it's very confusing and somewhat convoluted at this point. I will state that I'm not a fan of the new variable production methodology. Personally, I am not interested in any digital versions and only want a physical product but it seems I either have to back it and hope it gets enough backers to make it to the physical product tier, or wait until it does and then back it (but I could forget, or possibly miss limited pledge level rewards, etc.). Not an ideal situation for me, personally.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 06:58 AM
Trusted Editor

Honestly, these change updates really do feel just messy and 'unprofessional' for a lack of a better word.

In my opinion, these projects should just be like they now are, perhaps make new digital mp3/lossless pledge for people who just want that, but keep the cd stuff. Even if that whole DoD/Founder stuff was bit confusing.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 11:25 AM

Hi. Excuse us for the mess! I just got an rough idea for the updated plan.

----
[Plan 3]
The pledge goal for a short album (roughly 20 to 36 minutes of music, but NOT a mini-album) is $15,000, with the extended pledge goal for a medium album of $27,500 and for a full album of $40,000:
$15,000 = a short album (20 to 36 minutes of music) = 300 to 430 patrons
$27,500 = a medium album (30 to 54 minutes of music) = 550 to 790 patrons
$40,000 = a full album (40 to 72 minutes of music) = 800 to 1150 patrons

Many of you have expressed a desire to have available both a cheaper mp3 option and a pressed CD (a Founders’ Edition CD) option. Therefore, we have retained those options. Also, we can now offer a lossless HD audio download-only option.

Level 1, Fan = $15 for an mp3 download (let VGMC work on the matter bit-rate!);
Level 2, HD Fan = $25 for HD FLAC (HD/Hi-Res audio files download)
Level 3, Supporter = $35 for a pressed CD;
Level 4, Founder = $60 for a pressed CD, FLAC (HD/Hi-Res audio files and a bonus files download), and a credit listing in the CD booklet;
Level 5, Producer = $250 for a pressed CD, FLAC (HD/Hi-Res audio files and a bonus files download), a credit listing in the CD booklet, and access to a full orchestral score book.

Supporter, Founder, and Producer level patrons can buy one or two extra pressed CDs for $20 each by just adding the appropriate amount when they pledge. The Founder and Producer levels will include bonus materials, arrangements, and files (if any) that will not be included in the CD. Additionally, a Founder and Producer level participant’s name (actual name or desired pseudonym) will be acknowledged as one of the founders or producers in the CD booklet.

Furthermore, many of you have said that there is no need for a DOD edition CD or digital download sale to be available to the general public immediately after the distribution of the rewards to the patrons. Therefore, for this proposal, we will start distributing the DOD Edition CD and the digital download only after all the copies of the Founders' Edition CDs are gone. We will sell the remaining Founders' Edition CDs at $40 each (shipping and tax not included). We will not specify the release dates for DOD Edition CD and other online digital album sales. Those who do not join the funding simply will have to wait.
----

Last edited by Kentaro Sato; Aug 1, 2018 at 09:09 PM.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 12:10 PM
Trusted Editor

That seems a bit more clear to me and nice to see a pledge level for a physical product again. Thanks for all your hard work and responsiveness, I hope my posts haven't seemed pushy or angry. In the end you'll have to do what is best for your project(s) and not everyone is going to agree with it or be happy. Thanks again!!
Old Jul 31, 2018, 12:59 PM
Trusted Editor

It looks like a reasonable plan (although I wonder what plan 2 was, assuming that plan 1 is crowdfunding right now), and I compliment the transparency with which business decisions are made here.
To be honest, it is a bit irritating that 11 days into the crowdfunding phase, there are already adaptions to the framework of the project, for more or less obvious reasons (I'm mostly observing Suikoden anyway).
Ultimately it seems not that much is changing with regard to the backing options, you're just giving a better understanding of what's to be expected and these results are fine with me.
So I'm still hopeful that the projects reach their financing goals and the new plan is sustainable and successful.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 01:33 PM

Dear dancey
All inputs are welcomed! Two heads are better than one, and many heads are better than some as long as there is a head who can take the final responsibility.

Of course, negotiations and changes in a plan are never fun, but if we setup this right, this can be used as a template for any future project offers, unless the cost changes significantly. We will do our best to match the passion fans have.

===
Dear Teioh

Plan 2 was actually going all digital distribution, and lower the pledge goal to $12,000 (a mini album) with extended goals, and this is a plan best suits for VGMC, but few people liked

Many people have expressed a want of a physical copy. Also, many Star Fox supporters have wrote to VGMC that an album should have 20min or more. This idea is based on the orchestral album of Star Fox Assault, which comes with 20min of music, 9 tracks.

By the way, the duration like "20min ~ 36min" calculated based on a fact any good professional orchestra can produce a finished recording of roughly 3:30 to 7:30 per hour. If the music is easy, it could produce 10min of music per hour. For a small album, we plan to use two 3-hour sessions. So, the minimum estimate is 3.5 x 6 = 21.5min (so this is where 20min comes from), and the usual average of 6min x 6 = 36min total.
So, this "20min ~ 36min" is a very conservative estimate. Again, if the music is moderate in difficulty, we could hit 40min or up.

By the way, in the Hollywood or London, we can only record maximum of 7.5min per hour. That is the union rule.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 06:14 PM

So, this was very confusing. I initially backed the initial plan as an early bird founder so does that pledge still count at that reward level or is it invalid under the new plan? The Founder level you listed in the new plan is at $60 (instead of the original $72) and does not include the DVD. Do I need to re-pledge at a different level?