VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > Questions and Comments
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jan 26, 2011, 04:35 PM

Default Lyric Addition

With the addition of many anime albums, there is a larger influx of vocal tracks. Is there any consideration being put into adding an extra field to attach to specific songs to give the lyrics for them? I figure it would exist next to the little radio button at the end of the track list, that way people could click on it to open the lyric file which could of course be shown in multiple forms like normal.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 09:12 PM

Don't know how things are different in Western, but my little objection is that it carries an even higher risk than hosting scans because since a number of lyrics in Eastern are licensed by assholes like JASRAC and they are the pure definition of mammonist. Even if we offer the lyrics in an uncopyable and unprintable format, we are still highly likely to get charged (don't bother to read the term of use, but we at least have some affiliate links). Lyrics are frankly less informative, while more time-consuming to transcribing and translating, for that matter.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 05:11 PM

Lyrics are pretty much the same over here when dealing with copyright and the like. However it seems a bit odd that lyrics would be more coveted than the albums themselves (images). I do see your point though, and maybe a solution would be linking to an outside database IE Lyrics wikia or some other such place. Thus the lyrics are easily findable they can be edited by someone from this database who may want to, and no problems that I can see from vgmdb stand point, I think even musicbrainz uses this to avoid copyright infringement.