VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Apr 24, 2014, 10:09 AM

Default Some Original VGM/RPG Tracks (Critique Welcome!)

I'm new here so i'm sorry if i accidentally happen to trip over some rules/guidelines for the forums. Anywho...

I never really had any formal training as far as music goes, but I've been playing around with composition and sounds for roughly 3 years now. I've loved the rpg genre ever since I was introduced- mainly for the ost; cheesy yet lyrical phrases present in all the tracks. So I decided to try my own hand at it- here's a boss battle concept theme I wrote a couple of weeks off.

https://soundcloud.com/midibarfight/...t-dance-of-the

I rushed it in half a day since i had work so the mix may be off by a tad (the bassdrum might be too loud etc). But I really have no other place I could think of to try and get some feedback so any would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot guys!
Old Apr 24, 2014, 04:17 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Musically it's quite akin to the really good Kenji Ito stuff from the Romancing SaGa days. I dig it.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 06:25 PM

Thank you very much for taking the time to listen! Its nice to hear I did something right in this one.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 08:21 PM

Love it! I really dig this kind of music, so keep up the great work. For some reason at 1:07 I'm reminded--for whatever reason-of Gundam Wing's 'Rhythm Emotion' (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0FSMyFs6-U (around ~1:02). The music itself reminds me of anime openings where they modulate the music up a half-step/whole step towards the end of the song. I'm sure that's done in a bunch of music, but I'm just reminded of anime ops.

Hope you release more music.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 08:44 PM

I actually listened to rhythm emotion again (man, its been a while!) And you're not alone on this one haha. It must be the rhythm of the melody or something; its really rather similar to one part of the song.
I really hope to make more of these, thank you very much for listening!