VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Jun 8, 2008, 04:25 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I haven't found a Japanese source to confirm Zhane's edits, but accepted them anyway, since they are all listed on Chudah's and SQME.

Also, I changed Yayoi Yuzura to Yayoi Yura, based on those sites.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 11:37 AM

REPOST: Footfall is a totally good word because 足音 seems to refer to the sound of a footstep, which is literally a footfall. And I think 悲劇のマリオネット should be Marionette of Tragedy thanks to the most elementary lesson Dag gave me in the Grandia soundtrack discussion on the way things are ordered with の. It should also having something like (Vocal Tune) after it because of (ボーカル曲).

Last edited by Hellacia; Dec 21, 2011 at 12:58 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 08:32 PM

Not sure on it being Marionette of Tragedy. The song plays at bad ending and game over of the DS port.

More feels like it would be the puppet/marionette having a tragedy happen to them in this case death/bad endings, etc.

Tragic Marionette
Marionette's Tragedy
Tragedy of the Marionette
Puppet's Tragedy
Tragedy of the Puppet
Tragic Puppet

Higeki no Marionette
Old Dec 21, 2011, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearin View Post
Marionette's Tragedy
See, if it can be this, I'm going to cry. I'm quite confident it can't be this. Marionette's Tragedy would be マリオネットの悲劇, but this is 悲劇のマリオネット. However, I guess it could be the other stuff, sure. I guess we didn't like Tragic Marionette, it was replaced by Marionette's Tragedy, which I replaced with this more literal translation. But I don't think it conveys that something tragic has happened to the proverbial marionette any less than a different translation. But maybe I'm wrong.

Also, this song plays in the same places in the PS2 version, right? I think it would have to, considering the DS port came way after this.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 10:18 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoO1mzZIfYg

The PS2 version ending, so yeah seems to be in both versions if you do the bad ending dealing with the item god.

Laharl in this instance is the marionette/puppet who is being used. For building a relationship between the netherworld demons and the angels by the plan of the seraph and another person of influence.

In this ending particularly he either kills or almost kills the seraph, realizes he is still bad and then lets Etna take his place, which he then vanishes off to somewhere until he is ready to be the overlord.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 01:52 AM
VGMdb Advisor

足音 afaik is the sound of footsteeps ('tap tap tap'), so translate accordingly.

悲劇のマリオネット, Tragic Marionette or Marionette of Tragedy (but the latter sounds weirder, no?).

Marionette's Tragedy? Nooo ...Sometimes you can/need to bend the meaning a bit for style, since some JP sentences just don't sound natural literally. I don't think this is one of those times though.
(btw the AのB order thing is tricky to keep straight in my mind too so don't sweat it)
Old Dec 22, 2011, 08:31 PM

I would agree with Tragic Marionette.

Since it plays when all has gone wrong for him.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 03:47 AM

Was the NA exclusive track "One with the Stars" ever officially released anywhere? It doesn't appear to be on any of the Disgaea OSTs, but perhaps it was featured on some miscellaneous Tenpei Sato albulm?
Note: The title, "One with the Stars" is probably a fanmade one since it's a line said before what I think is the first stage that it's used in, if it was ever released it was probably under a different title.

Last edited by BlazingAbyss; Apr 11, 2021 at 06:04 PM.