VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Oct 29, 2012, 06:52 PM

The production and sound quality is pretty amazing, but the compositions themselves are too bland and generic for my liking. "Serpent Eating the Ground" is fairly intense, though.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 03:07 AM

It's like they wanted to do a stereotypical traditional JRPG soundtrack, highly derivative but also highly polished at that. I'll probably suggest this soundtrack to people who don't know yet what a typical traditional JRPG soundtrack would sound like.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:45 AM

The soundtrack is absolutely amazing, definitely one of the biggest surprises! Next to Kid Icarius: Uprising and Etrian Odyssey IV this one is another extraordinary and wonderful handheld soundtrack. This one has so much going on, filled with details, personality, variety and gorgeous melodies; a dream of every traditional JRPG music fan.

And FINALLY, another fantastic and catchy victory theme next to my favorites from CT/CC by Mitsuda

Let's hope that Revo will be "linked" again to another video game project in the future with a great success like this one!
Old Nov 3, 2012, 11:03 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Tear View Post
Let's hope that Revo will be "linked" again to another video game project in the future with a great success like this one!
Bravely Default debuted at #1 on the charts, selling over 140k copies in it's first week. That's really good. So good, in fact, that a sequel is already being planned.

We can probably expect Revo to return for that, at least.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 02:21 PM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Can anyone describe the package ?

Is it a white cardboard sleeve holding both CDs, inside a jewel case or some kind of box ?
Old Nov 4, 2012, 03:46 PM
Trusted Editor

I wouldn't call it cardboard sleeve, it's more like a paper sleeve. The sleeve is contained in the folded cardboard stand-up. And this one plus the booklet is contained in a box.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 02:30 AM

Should the standard (jewel case) edition of this be added as a separate reprint entry? Not sure if this is still the practice.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 03:13 PM
VGMdb Advisor

I hear so much Romancing SaGa in there ^^

ps this OST blew my mind <3
Old Mar 7, 2014, 04:25 AM
VGMdb Advisor

ps: for those who like "You are my Hope"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl13dNSIwAw
Old May 24, 2014, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niki View Post
ps: for those who like "You are my Hope"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl13dNSIwAw
hahaha omg that's great
Old Oct 6, 2015, 06:33 AM
Trusted Editor

Stop putting Unicode in English tracklists

- Replaced unicode … with ASCII ... in English tracklist
Old Jan 7, 2019, 04:05 PM

A hundred years after the game's release and I'm finally getting around to playing this. While I'm enjoying the game, the music is disappointing. I had originally sampled enough on release to be excited for it, but it's clear I was mistaken. There's nothing wrong with the music itself--it's just that it's so plain and typical for JRPG music.

Years ago I had opined that if producer Tomoya Asano had really wanted a strong and fitting fantasy-rock soundtrack, he ought to have just gotte Ryuji Sasai to do it. Maybe Bravely Third...
Old Jan 8, 2019, 05:17 AM

Perhaps the most leitmotivic game soundtrack since Final Fantasy VI is "plain and typical"? Sure, ok then.

Maybe you'll change your mind once you finish the game, because there's a LOT going on beyond "typical JRPG music" (Once you finish the game I suggest watching this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COgzJey4EAc -- but really NOT until you finish the game)
Old Jan 8, 2019, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraEpon View Post
Perhaps the most leitmotivic game soundtrack since Final Fantasy VI is "plain and typical"? Sure, ok then.

Maybe you'll change your mind once you finish the game, because there's a LOT going on beyond "typical JRPG music" (Once you finish the game I suggest watching this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COgzJey4EAc -- but really NOT until you finish the game)
The presence of theme and motive by itself does not make a soundtrack less typical than others. I'm not sure what you're point is. If you're comparing it to the quality of FF6, that's a surprising position I would be interested in hearing you defend.

Judging by the tracklist, I've already heard the majority of the OST--all the way through track 11 of disc 2. So unless those remaining 8 tracks are legendarily life-changing, I feel safe in betting that Revo's style doesn't suddenly change at the 80% mark. I've about had my fill of the same three underbaked dungeon themes, the formulaic battle themes, and the embarrassingly cliche world map theme, not to mention the other, even less remarkable BGM.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 05:58 PM

But you at least like He of the Name, right?
Old Jan 9, 2019, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
The presence of theme and motive by itself does not make a soundtrack less typical than others. I'm not sure what you're point is. If you're comparing it to the quality of FF6, that's a surprising position I would be interested in hearing you defend.

Judging by the tracklist, I've already heard the majority of the OST--all the way through track 11 of disc 2. So unless those remaining 8 tracks are legendarily life-changing, I feel safe in betting that Revo's style doesn't suddenly change at the 80% mark. I've about had my fill of the same three underbaked dungeon themes, the formulaic battle themes, and the embarrassingly cliche world map theme, not to mention the other, even less remarkable BGM.
Well, both FFVI and BD are a couple of my favorite game OSTs ever, so yes I would compare them.

One thing to consider about BD -- just look at the game itself. Despite having a new (and fantastic) take on the traditional turn based system, along with a lot of QoL implimentations (many of which were NOT in the original release, mind you) it's still in general a throwback to older days of the genre. So it makes a lot of sense that the soundtrack harkens back to that as well.
But at the same time, it's an extremely unified whole...I like to use the word 'organic'. Sure some of this is just Revo's general style but it really all sounds like each piece is part of the same whole.
Plus there's a lot going on in the music under the surface -- a good for instance is that each character is represented by an instrument in their theme (played when you do a special attacki) that fits with them. The asterisk battle (the aformentioned 'He of the Name') actually subtly has the main theme of the game in the melody. The final battle does....some very interesting stuff (covered in the video above). Hell even the fanfare in the victory music is derived from the main theme.
And just in general....the whole thing is brimming with catchy memorable melodies.
If you don't like it, that's different, but it;s hardly a slapped together mundane work here (that's for the sequal.....curious what you think of that if you play it).
Old Jan 9, 2019, 08:24 AM

Personally I think this is a very well-executed paint-by-numbers JRPG soundtrack with good production and little filler. If I was to introduce someone new to JRPG music, this would be a good choice. Nothing revolutionary though imo and it doesn't transcend its inspirations enough to be a favorite. I can get something similar with a bit more personality from Uematsu, Mitsuda, or Ito.

Last edited by Aifread; Jan 9, 2019 at 08:30 AM.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Did you listen to the remaining 8 tracks yet? I think they're excellent, especially "Serpent Eating the Horizon", which is nearly on par with "Dancing Mad" and co. if you ask me. I think Revo put a lot of thought, effort and creativity into his work here. Especially since this is his first full soundtrack for a video game he ever created. Nothing revolutionary, for sure, but the soundtrack for the recent "Octopath Traveler" wasn't either. Typical clichéed JRPG music - and it was received very well (incl. me!)

These days, this kind of music is lacking in the vast world of (RPG) music - classic, even clichéed tunes, which are simple, yet memorable. Like in the 90's. Experimenting with new styles is fine, but sometimes games just need a touch of retro vibe.

Last edited by Mac_Tear; Jan 9, 2019 at 11:02 AM.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJustDontKnowAnymore View Post
But you at least like He of the Name, right?
No, I'm afraid not. I find it pretty annoying. It certainly makes me think of what I consider better-composed (even if not better-mixed) rock boss battle themes--especially Sasai, but also Uematsu had always shined when he was doing his rock thing. I even would sooner take a Sakuraba boss theme, and normally I don't care for his work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraEpon
One thing to consider about BD -- just look at the game itself. Despite having a new (and fantastic) take on the traditional turn based system, along with a lot of QoL implimentations (many of which were NOT in the original release, mind you) it's still in general a throwback to older days of the genre. So it makes a lot of sense that the soundtrack harkens back to that as well.
Yes, that's quite true. The problem was really my expectation. Revo was a newcomer to VGM I thought would do something different than the norm; but you're right that for a game like BD, the norm should have been maintained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Tear
These days, this kind of music is lacking in the vast world of (RPG) music - classic, even clichéed tunes, which are simple, yet memorable. Like in the 90's. Experimenting with new styles is fine, but sometimes games just need a touch of retro vibe.
Oh, absolutely. I'm working on an OST right now where I'm trying to be intentional about injecting a generous amount of retro--because I agree that it's important.

I don't think the BD soundtrack is bad, just disappointing. It's perfectly suitable as a JRPG OST.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Tear View Post
Did you listen to the remaining 8 tracks yet?
I have now, and my perspective hasn't been notably moved. I like "Wicked Flight", but that's about it. "Serpent..." has some good parts (e.g. this bit), but is brought down by basically devolving into a medley.

I'm afraid my experience of the game took a downward turn toward the end too. Hoping for better things from the sequel when I get to it... in two years.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 11:17 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Nil0qRve4k

The live version of "Serpent ..." is so amazing ... the part from 4:28 onward is so stunning, especially when the character themes with their respective solos show up

Last edited by Mac_Tear; Feb 9, 2019 at 11:19 AM.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 05:12 AM

Quote:
I'm afraid my experience of the game took a downward turn toward the end too. Hoping for better things from the sequel when I get to it... in two years.

If you actually like the sequal's music better there is no hope for humanity.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 11:10 AM
Trusted Editor

Added tracklist with titles from Spotify release: https://open.spotify.com/album/2x1qaDf7qTAGeECnjSgCy3
Old Apr 2, 2021, 01:03 PM
Trusted Editor

Sorry to double-post but there's some weirdness with the official album releases. Spotify has one set of translations while Apple Music and Amazon have a different one. I added both but which translations should we use as the default one: Spotify, Apple Music/Amazon, or the old translated ones?
Old Apr 2, 2021, 02:30 PM
VGMdb Staff

I have no idea why they are different. I set the Amazon/iTunes version as the default because that one looks like it was translated by the same person that translated the Bravely Default 2 tracklist.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 04:04 AM

On the other hand Spotify's uses the track names that were used in Theatrhythm (I know of 'He of the Name' and 'Evil Wings' at least)
Old Apr 4, 2021, 03:18 PM
Trusted Editor

And it looks like Spotify was updated to use the same track names as the other releases. I'll remove that one but here's what it used to be, for completeness' sake.

EDIT: Forgot normal users can't delete tracklists, an editor can delete it then.

Code:
Disc 1:
01. Overture to Hope
02. Everlasting Instant
03. There Beyond the Prayer
04. Four Fairytales
05. Prayer
06. Land of Beginnings
07. Fall to Sleep
08. Horizon of Light and Shadow
09. The Gongs of Battle
10. The Glory of Victory
11. Sylvan Tranquility
12. Under a Hollow Moon
13. Visitor
14. Hostile Descent
15. He of the Name
16. The Impossible Dream
17. Into Enemy Lines
18. Where Flowers Fall
19. Ship upon the Open Seas
20. Land of Sand and Time
21. Sunbeams through the Leaves
22. Dark Cavern
23. At Battle's End
24. My Ray of Hope
25. Where the Winds Blow
26. Hatchling
27. Romantic Rogue

Disc 2:
01. Reminiscence, Nostalgia's Inquiry
02. Shadow of the Crystal
03. Shimmer of the Crystal
04. Windswept Day
05. Land of Radiant Flowers
06. A Trifling Affair
07. Time of Crisis
08. The Sinking State
09. Land of Civil Strife
10. Ship upon the Open Skies
11. Under the Banner of the Duchy
12. Land of Immortality
13. A Vestal's Prayer
14. The Evil One
15. Dark Aurora
16. Evil War
17. Evil Wings
18. The Serpent That Devours the Horizon
19. Ballade to Hope

Last edited by Toad King; Apr 4, 2021 at 03:22 PM.