VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Apr 6, 2022, 01:26 PM

Default Yahoo Auctions Japan blocks access for European IPs

Thought this might interest some people. Still undecided whether it's just your run-of-the-mill Japanese discrimination against foreigners or them not being willing to comply with EU privacy laws. Probably the latter, though I'll admit I never felt welcome on Yafuoku, Rakuten and the likes even when speaking Japanese and when buying while in Japan. Anyway, this probably doesn't change much for those using proxy buyer services. Just that you might need another proxy or a VPN now to see the pages.

Quote:
お知らせ
2022年4月6日 (水) よりYahoo! JAPANは欧州経済領域(EEA)およびイギリスからご利用いただけなくなりました

2022年2月1日よりご案内の通り、Yahoo! JAPANは欧州経済領域(EEA)およびイギリスのお客様に継続的なサービス利用環境を提供することが困 難であるとの判断から、以下の「2022年4月6日 (水)以降もご利用可能なサービス」に記載のサービスを除き、2022年4月6日 (水) 以降EEAおよびイギリスからはサービスをご利用いただけなくなりました。

なお、お客様が日本国内でYahoo! JAPANサービスをご利用になる場合は、引き続き全てのサービスをご利用いただけます。

お客様にはご不便をおかけいたしますことを深くお詫びいたします。

※欧州経済領域(EEA)加盟国についてはこちら(外部サイト)をご覧ください。

2022年4月6日 (水) 以降もお客様の地域からご利用可能なサービス
Yahoo!メール
Yahoo!カード
ebookjapan

※Yahoo!メールは一部機能が制限されます。詳細は欧州経済領域(EEA)およびイギリスでのYaho o!メール利用で制限される機能をご確認ください。

以下のようなケースに該当するなど、お困りの方はヘルプをご確認ください
日本からアクセスしているのに本画面が表示される
メール配信の登録・解除をしたい
アプリからの通知を止めたい

From Wednesday, April 6, 2022, Yahoo! JAPAN is no longer available in the EEA and the United Kingdom

Please be informed that from Wednesday, April 6, 2022, Yahoo! JAPAN’s services are no longer available to our users in the EEA (European Economic Area) and the United Kingdom, as it has been determined by Yahoo! JAPAN that providing a continuous service environment in these regions would be difficult. Please note that services listed under “Services available after Wednesday, April 6, 2022” below will continue to be available.

Please note that all Yahoo! JAPAN services are accessible after this date if access is made from Japan.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your understanding.

*For more information on the member states of the EEA, please click here.

Services available after Wednesday, April 6, 2022 in your region
Yahoo! JAPAN Mail
Yahoo! JAPAN Credit Card
ebookjapan

*Some Yahoo! JAPAN Mail functions will be restricted. Please click here for details. (Japanese only)
Old Apr 6, 2022, 04:06 PM

Yeah, saw it yesterday when doing my daily checks for items. It's annoying as I now have to replace all the bookmarks on my desktop.

Official reason were the costs of complying with regulation and laws...which is rather bs. It's not difficult to comply, so the real reason might be incompetency or just not wanting to bother.

Quote:
Yahoo Japan Corp. said it will render its website inaccessible across most of Europe starting April 6 due to the excessive regulatory burden.

An official from Yahoo Japan said on Feb. 1 that the company decided it has become too difficult to continue servicing the region considering the costs of complying with local laws and regulations.

The areas affected include member nations of the EU, Britain, Iceland and Norway.

The Japanese website offers a search engine, news, travel and shopping services, among others.

Other Yahoo-related websites offered in local languages will not be targeted. The change is expected to mainly affect those who use the Japanese version of the website while on business or private travel in Europe.

Only about 1 percent of Yahoo Japan users access the website from these areas. Yahoo Japan said it will continue to offer its email services, but users can no longer obtain new email addresses starting on April 6.

The company did not specify which laws and regulations it had in mind when making the decision. But it appears to be affected by recent moves in Europe to tighten regulations on the protection of personal data.

The EU’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), which took effect in 2018, requires not only businesses based in the EU but also those outside of it to implement stricter personal data management and step up measures to prevent information leaks. Violators face hefty fines.

Last year, the major messaging app operator WhatsApp LLC, a subsidiary of Facebook Inc., which has renamed itself Meta Platforms Inc., and Amazon.com Inc. were slapped with fines ranging from tens of billions of yen to nearly 100 billion yen (hundreds of millions of dollars to $870 million) for violating the GDPR.
https://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/14538476
Old Apr 7, 2022, 03:55 AM
VGMdb Staff

Does anyone know how to see ended auctions now?
I don't think fromjapan, buyee, or others middlemen services have this feature on their engine. Free and secure VPN?
Old Apr 7, 2022, 03:11 PM
Trusted Editor

I usually use VPN Gate when I need a quick Japan proxy for stuff. Free? yes. Secure? Don't know, but as long as you only visit HTTPS sites it shouldn't matter.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 06:03 AM

I don't know if it's related to the thread topic (I'm not in Europe) but is anyone else getting a lot of and constant page load errors on Yahoo which requires refreshing the page? Also happens on the Yahoo mobile app. I noticed it happening since the Sunday before last Sunday I think.

Just a wild guess but maybe the servers are deprioritising non Japanese traffic?

I'll try a VPN later to see if that changes anything.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 10:32 AM
Trusted Editor

I use the Buyee site to buy on Yahoo Auction (luckily it still works!), and I often have to reload the page to see the photos of each auction, or all the photos of the same auction. It didn't happen before and it's a bit annoying.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 05:40 AM

Using Buyee to browse YA and started having issues with loading photos several weeks ago too.
Old May 10, 2022, 04:51 AM

For me, it seems like most of the page load errors and broken images issues aren't happening now.

On topic, what are our European users' experiences with browsing the Yahoo Auctions website? Still normal or has the IP blocks begun?
Old May 11, 2022, 09:04 AM

Begun already. I haven't been able to see any of the auction pages from around a month ago.
Old May 11, 2022, 02:41 PM

That's incredibly saddening, as I used to browse the auctions. Buyee seems to not load images due to that, but ZenMarket seems to load them, so problem solved I guess?