VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Oct 16, 2015, 10:56 PM

This is a unique one:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...r-ghost-police

Ghost Police is a Game Boy/NES style shmup that is on Kickstarter to fund Jake "virt" Kaufman doing the soundtrack using the N163 sound chip. The game will be released either way, but it will either feature a licensed soundtrack or Jake's soundtrack depending on the outcome of the campaign. Hope people here can get behind that!
Old Oct 16, 2015, 11:09 PM

However, see the previous post - no CD version is planned and no mention on the digital music format was made.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepak View Post
However, see the previous post - no CD version is planned and no mention on the digital music format was made.
Ah, totally missed that. How is the soundtrack an afterthought because it's digital-only? That makes absolutely no sense. The campaign is to enhance the GAME with an awesome soundtrack. It'll be distributed digitally to backers and will be available on Bandcamp as is most of Jake's music.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcubalis View Post
How is the soundtrack an afterthought because it's digital-only?
1) As far as I am concerned, a soundtrack which doesn't exist in a physical form isn't a real soundtrack. It's something that I can buy to make do while the physical product doesn't exist, but it's not what I find a completely satisfactory thing.

2) I never said the 'afterthought' comment was due to the form *only*. What makes the soundtrack 'afterthough' to me is the fact that there is very little actual detail about the soundtrack, and what is there is mostly geared towards the appearance of the soundtrack within the game. I do, of course, realize that soundtracks are made to complement a game, or movie, or whatever other media, but for me, soundtrack must be able to stand as a separate existence (as in, I will happily buy a game which I will never pay just to get the soundtrack which I can enjoy separately from the game).

I am not saying other people should do the same, and probably the people who want to actually play the Ghost Police game will see the impact of the proposed soundtrack differently, but this is how I see the project at the moment. I would be happy to be proven wrong and see the birth of a new musical classic, but at the moment, I don't expect that to happen.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 03:01 PM

Quote:
1) As far as I am concerned, a soundtrack which doesn't exist in a physical form isn't a real soundtrack. It's something that I can buy to make do while the physical product doesn't exist, but it's not what I find a completely satisfactory thing.

2) I never said the 'afterthought' comment was due to the form *only*. What makes the soundtrack 'afterthough' to me is the fact that there is very little actual detail about the soundtrack, and what is there is mostly geared towards the appearance of the soundtrack within the game. I do, of course, realize that soundtracks are made to complement a game, or movie, or whatever other media, but for me, soundtrack must be able to stand as a separate existence (as in, I will happily buy a game which I will never pay just to get the soundtrack which I can enjoy separately from the game).

I am not saying other people should do the same, and probably the people who want to actually play the Ghost Police game will see the impact of the proposed soundtrack differently, but this is how I see the project at the moment. I would be happy to be proven wrong and see the birth of a new musical classic, but at the moment, I don't expect that to happen.
Fair enough. I'm slowly getting over the physical release thing, but that's mainly because I've accumulated so much stuff over the years. When I try to get rid of some of it to make room for other stuff, nobody wants it. So it's sort of frustrating sitting on physical things that myself or others don't want.

There's not much to say about the music because it hasn't been written yet! And the majority of the game isn't completed, although design elements are already in place. Jake's hoping to do a big band jazz/film noir/metal soundtrack for the game. You can hear various elements in the trailer... in fact, there's a planned vocal theme that is fleshed out a little in the trailer, listen for, "GHOST! PO! LICE!" at the 0:37 mark. You can also hear hints of a boss theme towards the end.

The third stage of the game is going to be a shmup/RPG hybrid, so you can imagine the kinds of fun virt will have with that.

So yeah, the music or the release of the music definitely isn't an afterthought, but if there is a demand for a physical product and we can justify the expense, of course we'll do that. That's why Scarlet Moon Records exists, really. If I had 50 pre-orders for a physical CD, I'd produce it.

But none of that will matter if the soundtrack doesn't get funded. So please help spread the word if you're a fan of Jake's work. =)
Old Oct 21, 2015, 10:20 AM

Back in Time Symphonic Collection - C64 Symphonic Box Set
Ends December 2, 2015
MP3/FLAC for GBP 20, CD for GBP 39.
Quote:
We're raising money to arrange and produce a box set of Symphonic Commodore 64 studio arrangements that sound like properly large, epic tracks. And we want to produce full transcriptions for orchestras to play live in concert.
Now this is a project I am excited about. Even though I never owned a Commodore C64 and in fact only having seen one once in my life, I am a huge fan of C64 music and am excited about the possibility of a real orchestra recording (which might happen if a stretch goal is reached). But even a fake-orchestra would be great, considering what people such as Glynn R. Brown or Markus Schneider managed to do in past years even without proper funding.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 03:24 PM

Well, as the saying goes, ask and you shall receive. We will do a limited print run of the physical soundtrack disc.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/1394800
Old Oct 27, 2015, 09:18 AM

That's a different story then :-)
Old Nov 1, 2015, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Back in Time Symphonic Collection - C64 Symphonic Box Set
Ends December 2, 2015
MP3/FLAC for GBP 20, CD for GBP 39.

Now this is a project I am excited about. Even though I never owned a Commodore C64 and in fact only having seen one once in my life, I am a huge fan of C64 music and am excited about the possibility of a real orchestra recording (which might happen if a stretch goal is reached). But even a fake-orchestra would be great, considering what people such as Glynn R. Brown or Markus Schneider managed to do in past years even without proper funding.
I backed this one as well. Hope it gets funded, but I guess it should if it's already over the halfway point.
Even if this doesn't get a real orchestra recording I think it's already awesome as is. Definitely looking forward to this.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 07:28 AM

Welcome to Another World
Ends November 20, 2015
Soundtrack CD included, starting at the 40 Euro tier.

Under the Collector's Edition text, a section reads:

Quote:
The original Another World soundtrack
This may be a re-release of http://vgmdb.net/album/6782 but cannot be absolutely certain.

Last edited by Mario Kinnikuman; Nov 2, 2015 at 07:53 PM.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 07:52 AM

I think I read somewhere in the description (or maybe the comments) that it is the same soundtrack that was released for the 15th anniversary. I could be wrong though.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 07:56 PM

Quote:
I think I read somewhere in the description (or maybe the comments) that it is the same soundtrack that was released for the 15th anniversary. I could be wrong though.
The album I linked to, is the disc which was included with the 15th Anniversary edition.

Last edited by Mario Kinnikuman; Nov 2, 2015 at 08:01 PM.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 12:25 PM

Daniel Tidwell made new kickstarter Project: VERSUS VIDEO GAMES IV: The Metal Tribute To Video Game Music
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ute-to-video-g
Old Feb 6, 2016, 10:23 PM

Commodore 64: a visual Commpendium (Second edition)
Ends Feb 14 2016

Quote:
As we stand, we've added a section on the demo scene, each backer will get on top of their book:
[...]
* Exclusive Martin Galway remix CD made just for backers. 10 tracks by Allister Brimble added to the USB cover tape plus a physical CD.
Current funding is at almost 63000 GBP.

Quote:
* If funding hits 67K, we will also commission Martin Galway remixes by Mike Clarke (Psygnosis), Jeroen Tel (Maniacs of Noise) and a 'to be confirmed' musician. This will take the CD tracks up to 13!
* At 74K a 24 page booklet will be added to Martin Galway CD. This will feature the story of how each track was made - written by Allister.
Personally, I don't care about the book very much as I haven't seen the actual C64 visuals until much later, when it was too late to be impressed by them, but C64 music is great! And Allister Brimble CAN remix, as shown by his The Spectrum Works. Not sure about the CD featuring Galway only - Galway is good, but overrated IMHO.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 02:31 AM
Trusted Editor

KARAKARA - visual novel by new studio calme

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/k...try-veterans#/

Physical soundtrack included in the $100 tier, digital soundtrack in the $25 tier. Music by Jun Okubo, OP theme by MANYO, which is linked on the page.

It seems the funding is only for the localization, but not sure if the Japanese physical edition will get a soundtrack.

Last edited by Teioh; Feb 14, 2016 at 02:33 AM.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 11:27 AM

Video Games Live: Level 5
Ends Apr 8 2016
Physical CD at $40 ($50 after the first 200), MP3 $10, lossless $25
Old Mar 5, 2016, 12:00 PM

The Last Ninja Musicology C64. Album. Concert. Blu-Ray
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...?ref=discovery
Old Mar 29, 2016, 10:40 AM

Echoes of the First Dreamer
Composed by Martin O'Donnell
Ends Apr 12 2016
Physical CD at $20.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 09:59 AM

Ultima Game Music Fan Recreation Project 2016
Ends May 13 2016
Digital only, but lossless promised, at $12 ($10 for early birds)

Note that as far as I can tell, the project is being done without any regard for copyright issues and without any sanction by the composers or copyright holders, which makes it highly unlikely to survive, I am afraid. I hope I am mistaken on this.
Old May 3, 2016, 08:17 PM

Dragon Quest Live
Ends Jun 2, 2016
Quote:
The music from the complete Dragon Quest Series by composer Kiochi Sugiyama played with a professional orchestra.
Apparently, this can't be considered a real project, as nothing has been done on it yet. It is currently in the "fund it so that I can go ask the relevant people whether they are interested in doing it, we will raise the necessary money then" stage, with no thought given to the actual execution of the thing. As a result, no rewards have yet been decided. I very much doubt this project passes Kickstarter rules for such projects.
Old May 4, 2016, 05:07 AM

Wow, that looks like someone who has no clue /at all/ and thinks if you throw money at something it'll get done.
Old May 4, 2016, 07:51 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Masquerada: Songs and Shadows, an RPG developed by a Singaporean game studio. Digital soundtrack at £20 tier. Music by Josh Whelchel
Old May 4, 2016, 08:33 PM

Video Game Music (VGM) Reorchestrated!
Ends Jun 2, 2016
Digital only, $25
Quote:
My passion is, and always has been VGM (video game music). I recently re-created a track from "Friday the 13th" for NES, and I had so much fun doing it, and it came out so well; I want to make an entire album of them!

The good news is that I can record and produce everything myself!

The bad news, is that I need to upgrade some of my studio equipment to get started.
Another of those "I want to run a Kickstarter campaign too" things, I am afraid.
Old May 10, 2016, 07:30 PM

Turrican II Live Orchestra Album by Chris Huelsbeck
Ends May 28, 2016
Digital at $15, CD at $30, CD+vinyl $65+
Quote:
Turrican II – The Orchestral Album will feature nearly an hour of completely new, never before heard, orchestral arrangements of some of the most popular pieces of music from Turrican II. Tracks planned for the album include The Final Fight, Freedom, The Great Bath, Concerto for Lasers and Enemies and The Desert Rocks. We will be revealing more tracks as the project progresses. Depending on the campaign’s success, all backers will get to hear Turrican II’s orchestral beauty from December this year.
Old May 17, 2016, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Turrican II Live Orchestra Album by Chris Huelsbeck
Ends May 28, 2016
Digital at $15, CD at $30, CD+vinyl $65+
Everyone on this forum and their sisters is backing this, right?
Old Jun 12, 2016, 05:50 AM

The story of the Commodore Amiga in pixels
Ends July 11, 2016

This is actually a book, but if a stretch goal of GBP 55,000 is met (probable, the normal goal of GBP 25,000 is almost met, a few hours after the campaign's start), then
Quote:
every backer will get a copy of a new album by Allister Brimble that will include re-imaginings of 10 of the best tracks that David Whittaker composed for the Commodore Amiga e.g. Shadow of the Beast, Xenon etc The artwork for CD was created by Trevor Storey.
Old Jul 10, 2016, 08:45 AM

That Commodore CD has been funded. Still a few hours left to join.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 05:24 AM

Hi guys, I'd like to bring this Kickstarter campaign to attention:

http://kck.st/28Y8WDt

It's a project called XYDONIA, which I'm working on as the composer and sound designer. This is a 16-bit style arcade shoot'em up, heavily influenced by the Japanese classics of the late '80s to mid '90s era, and very authentic in simulating both the technical and the gameplay aspects. The music and the SFX are made by accurately emulating the Yamaha YM2151+SegaPCM configuration. A playable alpha is included, along with two definitive tracks I composed.

As you can see from the KS page, we managed to get some authentic legends to join us as guest composers: SHINJI HOSOE and KEISHI YONAO are included as part of the base goal, while SuperSweep Team members AYAKO SASO and YOUSUKE YASUI will get involved if we reach the proper stretch goal!

Of course the OST, which will come in two different versions (original and arranged), is one of the several rewards we planned.

EDIT:
Mr. Hosoe himself sent us this message, and we feel very honored!

Last edited by LukeMcQueen; Jul 17, 2016 at 01:40 PM.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 09:11 PM

I'm producing a licensed orchestral Zelda arrangement album with a few friends.

We'll be recording an hour of Ocarina of Time tunes with a full orchestra!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...s-hero-of-time
Old Oct 2, 2016, 05:39 PM
Trusted Editor

Even if I'm don't care about Ocarina of Time much (neither game or the music outside of few parts), that project feels interesting enough to drop a pledge. Especially dropping stuff like Okami and Princess Mononoke as influences. And that backer only preview just helped with my decision.

Can't wait to hear the album when it's out, as I do see this being pledged easily more than 50k :P