VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jun 16, 2010, 12:58 AM

I will add an English tracklist for this when I can get around to it (should be soon, like some time tomorrow).

Some questions:
- Should this really not be animation? Rurouni Kenshin was an anime first, and most content in this box set is for the anime. And also this seems only to have been added since we started indexing anime music.
- Should I go through and change the JASCII to just normal ASCII? It doesn't look like JASCII in the tracklists to me but if someone thinks it should stay that way, that's fine (less work really).
- Should I change that interpunct thing (which I don't even think is a standard interpunct character) in the title to a hyphen? It's the English title, so I don't really think people are just typing non-standard characters to find the title. But when I go in to change it, the Japanese title is mysteriously not there, even though it shows up on the entry page (never seen this before).
- Is this really "Limited Edition"? It doesn't say that anywhere on the box, and there are no other versions of this release. Unless the box itself is just considered "Limited Edition".
- Maybe adding over 100 scans of this massive set is not what we want to do, but then should I add just the tracklist scans or something? So people can see. Well, in a case like this, tell me which scans are important.

Last edited by Medina; Jun 16, 2010 at 02:16 AM.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 03:30 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medina View Post
Should this really not be animation? Rurouni Kenshin was an anime first, and most content in this box set is for the anime. And also this seems only to have been added since we started indexing anime music.
This should definitely be anime. It should also be game if it includes music from the games. I seem to recall that there are 2 discs that contains game music.

Quote:
Should I go through and change the JASCII to just normal ASCII? It doesn't look like JASCII in the tracklists to me but if someone thinks it should stay that way, that's fine (less work really).
I think the only reason it's JASCII is because someone cut and pasted the tracklist from some site that used it. It really should be ASCII, but I hate to make that much work for someone.

Quote:
Should I change that interpunct thing (which I don't even think is a standard interpunct character) in the title to a hyphen? It's the English title, so I don't really think people are just typing non-standard characters to find the title. But when I go in to change it, the Japanese title is mysteriously not there, even though it shows up on the entry page (never seen this before).
I didn't notice the interpunct. Blah has some "dot" character that he uses to swap in for those.

Also, scroll down in the title text entry box. The Japanese title was on line 4. It's considered an "alternate", since the official title on the box is in latin characters.

Quote:
Is this really "Limited Edition"? It doesn't say that anywhere on the box, and there are no other versions of this release. Unless the box itself is just considered "Limited Edition".
Limited Edition usually implies that there is also a regular edition. This is probably a mistake.

Quote:
Maybe adding over 100 scans of this massive set is not what we want to do, but then should I add just the tracklist scans or something? So people can see. Well, in a case like this, tell me which scans are important.
That might be a bit much, though we do have some albums with a lot of scans:

http://vgmdb.net/search?do=results&id=65812

The scans will help to answer the questions too. All in all, this is not a very good entry right now; it needs lots of work.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 08:59 PM

Oh, okay, so looking at this, I guess it is both Animation and Game. When I added it to my collection, it showed up as just "original soundtrack" and not in the green "animation" color, but now it seems that the "original soundtrack" color just takes precedence over the "animation" color.

Also that's very cool about "alternate titles", didn't know that. So if someone adds a Japanese title (line 2) to a release that has no Japanese title actually present on it, should I move it to line 4 if I notice?

Anyway, I changed the JASCII letters and numbers. I decided to keep some of the special hyphen characters, since it seemed like there was a real distinction between those used in -A Theme of Etc- and those used in -Etc Mix-. But change them if you don't like it (or I'll do it if you don't want to sit there and remove all those hyphens!). I didn't do much error checking though, mostly because I just don't want to look over 100+ titles of kanji, though I caught a few errors anyway.

Well thanks for answering my questions. Oh, one more: how are tracks times really dealt with? There is an issue of pregaps. Should I add the times that I get right away when putting a CD in my drive (basically no pregaps), or append / prepend them...? So then I can add the times here too.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 03:28 AM
VGMdb Administrator

The "original soundtrack" color is actually "game" now:

Quote:
Source Category: Game, Animation, Publication, Audio Drama, Demo Scene, Other Works
Extra Classification: Enclosure/Promo, Doujin/Fanmade, Delayed/Cancelled, Bootleg
You bring up a good point about precedence though, for albums that have both categories. Maybe we should eventually base it on percentage.

We can't really handle the pregaps yet. This mostly affects the Freedb look up I assume, but the workaround is to submit the calculated (by EAC for example) Disc ID for each media. This Disc ID overrides the one calculated from the track times.

The tracklist looks much better now. Thanks for fixing it up. Do you know if the discs from this album are direct reprints of other Kenshin releases?
Old Jun 17, 2010, 05:18 AM

Okay, I'll start adding Disc IDs now! I don't know if I ever really noticed that before (I feel kind of silly). Thanks again.

I know that most of these discs are not really the same (some minor differences, a few bigger changes). Like for example from the first game, Meiji Restoration Fighting, the song そばかす, which was track 23 from the original release, appears on track 1 disc 1 of this box set. HEART OF SWORD~夜明け前~, which was track 24, is now track 4 of disc 1. All the other ones are in exactly the same order though. And same with Intrigues of the 10 Heroes, the song "1/2" appears on track 5 of disc 1, and the song 七色の風 appears on track 11 of disc 2, and then the rest are in the same order. As for the four TV anime soundtracks, some director's cuts and special versions have made it in, and a few songs have been taken from one soundtrack and been put on another (perhaps to better reflect the chronology of the anime). I can't speak for some of the other discs, since I don't know their source. But mostly, it seems they made a lot of organizational changes, as if they looked back on the old releases and said "Man, I wish I would have put that here..."

Well, I'll start getting some track times (later, I need to go to bed), and then I still need to get a translation up for this. But I like Kenshin, and Noriyuki Asakura, so this needs a good entry in the database.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 12:51 PM

First of all, I'm sorry for my mistakes.

Quote:
- Should this really not be animation? Rurouni Kenshin was an anime first, and most content in this box set is for the anime. And also this seems only to have been added since we started indexing anime music.
This was added before VGMdb started cataloguing anime music (and this box was accepted at that time because it contains two game OST).

Today I wouldn't have done so, since vgmdb policy states that “only people who have the anime ost discs are allowed to insert anime music here" (and I actually don't own this box - the only intention was to make the game music database more complete, since these disks were forgotten).

Quote:
- Is this really "Limited Edition"? It doesn't say that anywhere on the box, and there are no other versions of this release. Unless the box itself is just considered "Limited Edition"..
I don't remember inserting the "limited edition" on the title, but I know I inserted it on the "release type" section. I was induced by some sites: Amazon.jp, soundtrackcollector.com, etc., but there was one that explained the following:

"Rurouni Kenshin Complete CD Box is slated for a Sept. 19 release also. The 12 CD set includes one CD with OP and ED songs with two CDs comprising character image songs. Seven CDs will comprise soundtracks for the RK TV series, movie and OVAs including the two new pieces of music composed by Ishizaki Taku for the Special Edition of Seisou Hen. The final two CDs will comprise the soundtrack for the Playstation game. This will be limited edition, with production limited to pre-orders." Source: http://www.animenewsservice.com/archives/june26.htm

Maybe I interpreted this in wrong way or this is simply wrong (I don't know), but I hope this helps to correct the (possible) wrong information.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 01:00 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I see that Amazon.jp still lists it as a limited edition, so maybe it is. The "[Limited Edition]" in the title is a tag that gets automatically added if the album's release type is "Limited Edition." This is something that we added recently.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 04:02 PM

Okay then, I was thinking along the lines of what Secret Squirrel said, where "Limited Edition usually implies that there is also a regular edition," but if this is marketed as a Limited Edition release then maybe you were right and we should label it as such. And I didn't mean to come off as if I thought this was a bad entry newsblade, I thank you for getting us started.
Old May 27, 2011, 11:30 AM

since this album has no regular edition, shouldn't we remove the limited edition?
Old Mar 14, 2014, 03:31 PM

Would anyone happen to have the credits for what tracks each composer composed?
Old Mar 14, 2014, 10:20 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Yup, also I quadrupled the number of artists linked to this album hope that helps
Old Jul 7, 2014, 03:22 PM

Ah I know this reply is late but thank you