VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jan 15, 2011, 10:27 PM
VGMdb Administrator

The booklet has track-by-track commentary from Konami sound staff, but I don't know if they're all actually the composers of each track or if some had other roles (sound director, picked the game for the album, random guy in the room, etc.). Here's all dem folks:

101: Prophet Fukami (プロフェット深見)
102: Motoaki Furukawa (古川もとあき)
103: Nazo Nazo Suzuki (なぞなぞ鈴木)
104: Nazo Nazo Suzuki
105: -Dokuo- Umeno (梅野 毒夫) - According to GMCL, Kazuki Muraoka? Unsure what the confirmation is for that, maybe the liner notes for SNES Gradius III, which Muraoka worked on.
106: Sonosuji Morimoto (その筋森本) - Yukie Morimoto
107: Ken Ken Nakashima (けんけん中島) - Masae Nakashima
108: 20-dai Dokushin no Kenichi-kun (20代・独身のけんいちくん) - I'm assuming this is Kenichi Matsubara
109: MIKI-CHANG - Miki Higashino
110: Rusher Sakamoto (ラッシャー坂元) - Shinya Sakamoto
111: IZUMI - Mutsuhiko Izumi
112: Prophet Fukami
113: Motoaki Furukawa
114: Sonosuji Morimoto
115: Muchimuchipurin Satoko (むちむちぷりんさとこ) - Satoko Miyawaki
116: Motoaki Furukawa
117: Michael Maezawa (マイケル前沢) - Hidenori Maezawa
118: TECHNOuchi (テクノウチ) - Yuji Takenouchi
119: Chiru-Chiru Yamane (チルチル山根) - Michiru Yamane
120: Kenichi-kun (けんいちくん) - Same guy as track 108, Kenichi Matsubara probably

201: Sukenomiya Fujio (すけのみや藤尾) - Atsushi Fujio
202: Tonma-kun's Papa (とんまくんのパパ) - identity unknown
203: Sukenomiya Fujio
204: Kingoro (金五郎) - According to GMCL, Tsutomu Ogura (T. Ogura / Shinkon Ogura)?
205: IKAchan
206: Gorgeous Tomy (ゴージャス・トミー) - Tomoya Tomita
207: Saishuu Boss (最終ボス) - This means "last boss," so it might not be a real alias.
208: Tonma-kun's Papa
209: Sukenomiya Fujio
210: Kingoro
211: Motoaki Furukawa
212: Michael Maezawa
213: JAH - Kazuki Muraoka, commenting again under a different alias? (See track 105)
214: Michael Maezawa
215: Saishuu Boss
216: Puupuka Itoh (プープカ・ITOH) - Who the hell is this.
217: IZUMI
218: Motoaki Furukawa (happy ending) and Chiru-Chiru Yamane (bad ending)
219: IZUMI
220: Piston Uehara (ピストン上原) - Kazuhiko Uehara
221: IZUMI
222: Motoaki Furukawa
223: Prophet Fukami
224: Kingoro
225: TECHNOuchi
226: Sukenomiya Fujio
227: Tonma-kun's Papa
228: Muchimuchipurin Satoko
229: Man-san (まんさん) - According to GMCL, Y. Manno (identity unknown)?
230: VAP Ueko
Old Jan 16, 2011, 06:14 AM

Hi, CHz. One of my friends has seen your post here and the following is what she wants to say:

Since every commentator of the tracks has taken part in the composition of the game, the commentary should be written by the actual composer.

The only exception is Track 2 and 17 of Disc 1. The two commetators are different while the melodies are the same.

The other concern is Track 3 of Disc 1. The booklet has revealed the actual composer, but the composer wasn't a member of Kukeiha Club. As a result, they may make the composer taking part in the game to write the comment.

Cheers.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 09:59 AM

Pretty sure most are the main composers. At the very least they each had their role, although track 10 from the first disc and 07 from the second --Castlevania and ESPER DREAM--were done by James Banana / Kinuyo Yamashita.

DISC 1

01 S. Fukami (Source - under "STAFF")
02 Motoaki Furukawa (Source - under "STAFF")
03 Nazo Suzuki (Source - under "Sound Design" NOTE: I know MobyGames is a 'pick with a grain of salt' deal, but is all I could find in short notice.)
04 --
05 -Dokuo- Umeno (Source - under "STAFF")
06 Y. Morimoto (Source)
07 Ken Ken Nakashima (Source)
08 K. Matsubara (Source - under "STAFF")
09 Miki Higashino (Source - under "STAFF")
10 James Banana (Source)
11 泉陸奥彦 (Mutsuhiko Izumi) (Source - under "Artist")
12 Prophet Fuka (Source - under "STAFF")
13 M. Furukawa (Source - under "Sound" NOTE: I know MobyGames is a 'pick with a grain of salt' deal, but is all I could find in short notice.)
14 Y. Morimoto (Source)
15 --
16 Motoaki Furukawa (Source - under "STAFF")
17 H. MAEZAWA (Source [1])
18 T. Sekito (listed first and two spaces apart) (Source [1])
19 Michiru Yamane (Source - under "Sound (サウンド)" NOTE: I know MobyGames is a 'pick with a grain of salt' deal, but is all I could find in short notice.)
20 Not sure... (Source)

DISC 2

01 Not sure if these are Staff credits... (Source)
02 --
03 --
04 J. Kaneda (Source - under "STAFF")
05 IKA-CHAN (Source - under "Artist")
06 TOMITA (Source [2])
07 Kinuyo Yamashita (Source - scroll all the way down)
08 Kenichi Matsubara (Source - scroll all the way down : [1] - from FDS credits)
09 A. Fujio (Source [2] [3])
10 Kingorou (Source - under "STAFF")
11 Motoaki Furukawa (Source - under "Artist")
12 MAIKERU (Source)
13 Kazuki Jah (Source)
14 --
15 Charley Sada (Source [1])
16 A. Itoh (Source [1] [2] [3])
17 Mutsuhiko Izumi (Source - under "MUSIC COMPOSE" [1])
18 古川もとあき (Motoaki Furukawa) / 山根ミチル (Michiru Yamane) (Source - under "Artist")
19 Mutsuhiko Izumi (Source - under "STAFF")
20 上原和彦 (Kazuhiko Uehara) (Source - under "Artist")
21 Mutsuhiko Izumi (Source)
22 H. MAEZAWA (Source [1])
23 Lydian Fukami (Source [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7])
24 Couldn't find concrete evidence, but everything seems to point Goro Kin (Kingoro) as the composer. NOTE: One of the scans for F-1 Spirit + F-1 Spirit ~ 3D Special has a composer listing, so maybe someone could translate to make cross reference.
25 Again, no concrete evidence, but everything seems to point Yuji Takenouchi as the composer.
26 While this game lacks staff/credits, upon finishing the game a small blue window appears saying THANK YOU! accompanied by four names: HOSHINO, (Let's roll!) KATO, MINACAWA, and IWAO (Source [1])
27 This one's rather strange... The staff for this game resembles that of a movie, and while people are credited for the game, Tonma-kun's Papa doesn't seem to be mentioned: Steve Kaufman, Frank Bundra, Frank Pellegrini, and Marv Hermanson. (Source)
28 Tasaka and Minami (Source [1])
29 --
30 Is Uetaka another pseudonym of Harumi Ueko? Because that's all I got, again, from MobyGames, so take it with a grain of salt.

Phew! Damn that was exhausting! I'm out for the day...

Last edited by PsychoZeke; Jan 18, 2011 at 04:36 AM.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 01:59 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfr6666 View Post
Hi, CHz. One of my friends has seen your post here and the following is what she wants to say:

Since every commentator of the tracks has taken part in the composition of the game, the commentary should be written by the actual composer.

The only exception is Track 2 and 17 of Disc 1. The two commetators are different while the melodies are the same.

The other concern is Track 3 of Disc 1. The booklet has revealed the actual composer, but the composer wasn't a member of Kukeiha Club. As a result, they may make the composer taking part in the game to write the comment.

Cheers.
You have an awesome friend.

Did she look at everything, and were those the only issues she found? I just wanted to check, since you didn't mention whether she looked over the whole thing or not. I'm rather curious about the commenter on tracks 207 and 215, since 最終ボス is kind of a generic alias, and it doesn't seem to have been used by any Konami guys in a game.

Good catch with tracks 102 (Gradius II arcade) and 117 (Gradius II NES). I'd guess the commenter for 117, Hidenori Maezawa, is the guy who did the NES conversion of the original arcade tune. And track 103 from Lagrange Point was indeed composed by someone not from Konami, Akio Dobashi. It was also arranged for the NES by Aki Hata: http://vgmdb.net/album/3689.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoZeke View Post
Pretty sure most are the main composers. At the very least they each had their role
I knew most, if not all, of the commenters were part of the games' sound teams, but I was worried about cases like the Lagrange Point one above where a different person than the composer commented on the track. Seems like that was only a rare case, but I was just being cautious.

Excellent job with the staff roll homework, by the way. I just wanted to comment/nerd out on a few of your findings:

Quote:
although track 10 from the first disc and 07 from the second --Castlevania and ESPER DREAM--were done by James Banana / Kinuyo Yamashita.
Yamashita apparently wrote most of the music from Castlevania, but not all of it: "I composed music for 悪魔城ドラキュラ. Not all. But,most is my music" (http://cocoa.candybox.to/yamako1/mka...logno=&type2=1) and "I'm certain that other people were involved with the composition of the original version of Castlevania, but they composed very little of the music" (http://squareenixmusic.com/features/...amashita.shtml). I'm not sure if anyone's gotten a full list of which tracks are hers, so perhaps the ending was Shinya Sakamoto's, since he was the commenter.

Also, here are some Esper Dream 1 credits for ya: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNLqh69yhfc#t=9m45s

Quote:
MUSIC
CHARMING YAMAKO (Kinuyo Yamashita)

ASSISTANT (unsure if this means music/sound assistance, but...)
RUSHER SHINYA (... Shinya Sakamoto is a sound guy)
MONGOL TOMOKO (I don't know any sound guys this could be though)
ULTRA NAKAOKA (same)
The commenter for that track was the mysterious 最終ボス, no clue what the deal with that is.

Quote:
103 Nazo Suzuki (Source - under "Sound Design" NOTE: I know MobyGames is a 'pick with a grain of salt' deal, but is all I could find in short notice.)
Lagrange Point's sound credits are terrible: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e17-xPe406c#t=10m37s. Akio Dobashi and Noriyuki Takahashi of REBECCA are credited for music, along with the two tracks they composed, "TUM'S BOOGIE" and "THE RESURRECTION OF SABBATH -ENDING THEME-," and then KU-KEI-HA CLUB is listed too. So the credits leave out non-Konami musicians Makoto Kawamoto, Tadashi Sawashita, and Kenji Nakamura, who are all credited on the OST, and they don't give the specific Konami employees who wrote the music and arranged the non-Konami guys' music for the NES. Aki Hata, for example, claims to have written nine tracks and arranged THE RESURRECTION OF SABBATH, and she's nowhere in the credits.

Then Sukenomiya Fujio and Nazonazo Suzuki are credited for "Sound Design," which is separate from music and doesn't include Aki Hata, so I'm assuming it's SFX or something else. Which isn't to say neither of those guys composed any music, because they may have! Stupid worthless sound credits.

Thankfully, as above, we do know who were responsible for Lagrange Point's ending theme, and neither are Nazo Nazo, who it seems was commenting in Dobashi's place.

Quote:
118 T. Sekito (listed first and two spaces apart) (Source [1])
Space Manbow's sound credits are also incomplete, leaving out additional composers Yuji Takenouchi (commenter) and Michiru Yamane. Bigblah corresponded with TECHNOuchi to get the full credits for that: https://vgmdb.net/forums/showthread.php?p=13786.

Quote:
120 Not sure... (Source)
Wai Wai World 2 sound design:
Sakagon Milk-Shop(?) Yuichi (Yuichi Sakakura is apparently Sakagon)
Gentleman(?) Matsubara Ken-chan (Kenichi Matsubara, well spotted)
Minami Muchimuchipurin Satoko (Satoko Miyawaki, also known as Satoko Minami, which is possibly her maiden name)

Quote:
201 Not sure if these are Staff credits... (Source)
Wai Wai World's credits for "sound" start at 7:08: Rusher Sakamoto (Shinya Sakamoto), Shige-chan (unknown), and Damian Fujio (Atsushi Fujio, commenter).

Quote:
204 J. Kaneda (Source - under "STAFF")
I thought the credits for Labyrinth Runner were your most interesting find, since this is one of the tracks Kingoro commented on, and Kaneda was apparently the game's only sound guy. Junichiro Kaneda's family name is 兼田, but a more common way to write it is 金田, which has the same first character as Kingoro (金五郎). I find that identity a lot more compelling than Tsutomu Ogura.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 03:13 AM

The comments for 2.20 don't explicitly state PISTON as the composer right? In fact, I am not sure he has ever been credited specifically for music composition; is there any evidence to suggest that he has? I'm beginning to think that he has only ever handled sound effects and programming.

This is all great information though. It's always fun seeing Konami mysteries cracked open.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHz View Post
[...]

Excellent job with the staff roll homework, by the way.
I enjoyed doing it, but I had to take a nap afterwards. =P Nevertheless, hunting for this stuff is quite fun.

Quote:
Yamashita apparently wrote most of the music from Castlevania, but not all of it: "I composed music for 悪魔城ドラキュラ. Not all. But,most is my music" (http://cocoa.candybox.to/yamako1/mka...logno=&type2=1) and "I'm certain that other people were involved with the composition of the original version of Castlevania, but they composed very little of the music" (http://squareenixmusic.com/features/...amashita.shtml). I'm not sure if anyone's gotten a full list of which tracks are hers, so perhaps the ending was Shinya Sakamoto's, since he was the commenter.

Also, here are some Esper Dream 1 credits for ya: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNLqh69yhfc#t=9m45s

The commenter for that track was the mysterious 最終ボス, no clue what the deal with that is.
And here I always thought Yamashita had done the whole Castlevania soundtrack--guess you learn something new everyday. But perhaps Shinya Sakamoto did the ending theme? My first thought, however, was that Sakamoto was commenting in Yamashita's place.

Thanks much for the Esper Dream video. And regarding 最終ボス, maybe it is what the name suggests? If we were to take it literally, I mean.

Quote:
Space Manbow's sound credits are also incomplete, leaving out additional composers Yuji Takenouchi (commenter) and Michiru Yamane. Bigblah corresponded with TECHNOuchi to get the full credits for that: https://vgmdb.net/forums/showthread.php?p=13786.
I had forgotten about that...

Quote:
I thought the credits for Labyrinth Runner were your most interesting find, since this is one of the tracks Kingoro commented on, and Kaneda was apparently the game's only sound guy. Junichiro Kaneda's family name is 兼田, but a more common way to write it is 金田, which has the same first character as Kingoro (金五郎). I find that identity a lot more compelling than Tsutomu Ogura.
Might be the same person. I certainly would like to know who Kingoro really is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz Lunar View Post
The comments for 2.20 don't explicitly state PISTON as the composer right? In fact, I am not sure he has ever been credited specifically for music composition; is there any evidence to suggest that he has? I'm beginning to think that he has only ever handled sound effects and programming.

This is all great information though. It's always fun seeing Konami mysteries cracked open.
Well, according to the link I provided, Kazuhiko Uehara (上原和彦), Kinuyo Yamashita (山下絹代), and Miki Higashino (東野美紀) were responsible for the game's music, however, according to the info provided under "Artist", Yamashita did only "天上の世界" (track 15) and Higashino did "メインテーマ2" (track 18) leaving Uehara with the rest of the soundtrack.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Well, according to the link I provided, Kazuhiko Uehara (上原和彦), Kinuyo Yamashita (山下絹代), and Miki Higashino (東野美紀) were responsible for the game's music, however, according to the info provided under "Artist", Yamashita did only "天上の世界" (track 15) and Higashino did "メインテーマ2" (track 18) leaving Uehara with the rest of the soundtrack.
mmm yea, was just looking that and feeling a bit confused. i wonder where that information comes from originally? since there is no soundtrack release that I am aware of...
Old Jan 18, 2011, 08:06 AM
VGMdb Advisor

I glanced at the list and not everybody says they did each song (most comments are "oh this was such a nice song, brings me back") so not every commenter is confirmed as the composer, but some do say it.

I think 最終ボス is just commenting on behalf of the original composers.
Piston Uehara says he was in charge of the game's 'sound' (音). Music or SE, I dunno.
金五郎 doesn't say what he did.

Gradius III's liner notes don't reveal much about Muraoka. He is widely reported to have composed Parodius AC, maybe from his old official profile? (the link doesn't work anymore...).

I'll try to check others later. Actually if you guys could mark which ones are confirmed as the only composers even better.
Also I think there is more info to be unearthed in various Konami liner notes, I added a couple the other day.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz Lunar View Post
[...]

i wonder where that information comes from originally? since there is no soundtrack release that I am aware of...
JASRAC maybe.

As far as I know, the only release that the Shalom series ever received was Disc 7 from the Legend of Game Music ~CONSUMER BOX~, but only the first and second games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag View Post
[...]
Only composers would be:

Disc 1: 10
Disc 2: 04, 05, 07, 10, 12, 13, 15, 22

24-27 and 30 I couldn't find proper info about, so perhaps you could shed some brighter light on each.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 05:15 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag View Post
I think 最終ボス is just commenting on behalf of the original composers.
I just had a /!\ 100% SPECULATION /!\ idea about this.

最終ボス comments on two tracks: 207 (Esper Dream) and 215 (Stinger / Moero Twinbee).

Kinuyo Yamashita composed for Esper Dream. Maybe other people contributed too, since I find "assistance" to be ambiguous, but she at least definitely wrote music. She left Konami in 1989: http://yamako.ciao.jp/html/bio_e.html.

Stinger was composed by Kyohei Sada (Charley Sada). He left Konami and started composing for Natsume and Hot-B around 1988-1989: Blades of Steel, Konami, 1998; Abadox, Natsume, 1989.

This album came out in 1991. So, maybe 最終ボス is just a filler guy because the composers were no longer Konami employees?

最終ボス doesn't take Yamashita's place for the Castlevania commentary, so maybe Sakamoto did indeed compose the ending. Or maybe he was just commenting in Yamashita's place, I certainly don't know.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 02:26 AM

最終ボス couldn't possibly be the "boss"? As in the head honcho or maybe the executive producer of this release speaking on behalf of them? That's what I meant with taking 最終ボス literally.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 03:16 AM
VGMdb Advisor

The list is going to take a while to check so I'm going to update this post irregularly.
Like I wrote, several comments are just "oh, nostalgic...". You can't say from them they did 100% or just participated, but the way they write anecdotes make it more likely (I'm afraid translating the whole thing 1:1 would be too time consuming a beyond my abilities). I'll write the impression the comments give me.

1 Doesn't say, from they way he writes seems likely.
2 Same
3 Doesn't seem like it.
5 Doesn't say, but Umeno/Matano (same person) is the only composer of Parodius, so yes.
13 Doesn't say, from they way he writes seems likely.
18 He says he wasn't officially in charge so his name isn't in the staff roll, but did several songs. In a OSV interview he confirms it.
19 In Goemon 2 liner notes Yamane confirms she did the ending (first song, intended to be stage music)
36 He thanks people for selecting this and also asks you to check Konamic Golf, so I suppose he did it.
38 / Happy ending: confirmed. He comments they asked him to write 6 songs in a week, maybe he did just 6.
38 / Bad ending: Confirmed
43 Doesn't remember too well but thinks he did stage 1 and the ending.
45 This is what he is saying, more or less
"Aarg, writting this song was such a pain. Just kidding! (dead expression)
The person who wrote this song was, with the same surname as me, Mr. "Fake Technouchi".
However he's not here anymore. Techno Banzai!"
A man called Shigehiro Takenouchi was credited in Metal Gear, that's probably the composer.
46 He thanks people for remembering this, comments Exciting Billard had an adult mood. Maybe he did it?
48 Seem he did it *recheck
50 Very likely. Also, "VAP上高" could be read as VAP Uetaka. In fact I think Uetaka a is more common reading.

Last edited by Dag; Mar 11, 2011 at 12:23 PM.