VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jun 19, 2020, 04:27 PM

Wouldn't really consider Let's Go "orchestral." But there's plenty of good stuff from Hoenn and Sinnoh on this album. Pokemon music peaked with gen 4 imo, so I'm not too bummed about a lack of representation after that.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 01:18 AM

VGMC released the digital album of Symphonic Tale: The Place I Truly Belong (Music from Stardew Valley) to the Kickstarter backers. This symphonic suite grew into a 15-movement, 50min symphonic work.
http://www.vgm-classics.org/50-003-T..._Belong-e.html
The full orchestral score will be available for study and general performances.

Unfortunately, because of the COVID-19, the physical reward and general public release will be delayed...

COVID-19 has changed the general production plan of VGMC. We need to adjust to this new era of disrupted physical distribution and the social distance...
Old Sep 14, 2020, 01:18 PM

Two CD Releases at Amazon US!

Symphonic Tale: An Unforgettable Journey (Music from Grandia)
Symphonic Tale: The Place I Truly Belong (Music from Stardew Valley)

VGMC was extremely glad to have been able to work closely with Noriyuki Iwadare (Grandia) and Eric Barone (Stardew Valley). VGMC was also happy to announce the full scores and orchestral parts will be available for general public for study and performance for these two works. Although COVID-19 definitely has been affecting what we have been doing, we will do our best to contribute to the video game music world!
Old Sep 14, 2020, 04:36 PM

Just want to say that I love these, and cannot wait to see what else you have in store for the future.

I know I'm a bit late here, but just seeing these being discussed as "maybes" on the first/second page has my mouth watering for more!

Breath of Fire
Earthbound/Mother
The 7th Saga/Mystic Ark
Vandal Hearts
Wild Arms

Not exactly sure how well some of these would translate to orchestra though... BoF3 being very jazzy, BoF4 Asian influenced, Bo5 dark, electronic and ambient, Earthbound psychedelic, etc. etc.

But you absolutely nailed Grandia and Suikoden, So at this point I'd never turn down anything from you guys honestly.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special View Post

Breath of Fire
Vandal Hearts
Wild Arms
These are fantastic suggestions.

Quote:
Not exactly sure how well some of these would translate to orchestra though... BoF3 being very jazzy, BoF4 Asian influenced, Bo5 dark, electronic and ambient
I'd say they're all just perfect! The key to having something translate well to orchestra is in its original arrangement: what's the instrumentation? how are the harmonies voiced? where are countermelodies used? can rhythms be maintained without the traditional drum-bass section? how much "meat" do the compositions have?

BoF3/4/5 are all so expertly composed that an orchestral adaption would work exceptionally well for all of them--with the right selection. Even so, they're not scant in orchestratable (new word, thank you) material.

BoF1, of course, already has several brilliantly orchestrated tracks. I've dreamt about live performances of the three world map themes.

BoF2, on the other hand, doesn't match the criteria above very well: the original material is too meager for proper adaptation without significant embellishment. The more embellishment needed, the worse candidate for orchestration. A lot of FF material is like this, which is part of the reason so many live concert FF arrangements are so terrible. And basically anything from a Western game, unfortunately--they're just so sparse in content that there's only so much an orchestrator can do to make it interesting.

Wild Arms would be a winning formula, as well. WA3's soundtrack in particular is such a thick, layered masterpiece that it would need two volumes for proper representation. Naruke really outdid herself on that one.

Vandal Hearts II could just be handed to performers as is. But I feel the only way to do VH1 justice is to have a wind ensemble, rather than orchestra, perform it. VH1 and VH2 are rare examples of orchestral/wind soundtracks that are already orchestrated to perfection, because the guy writing them actually knows how to orchestrate and composed the music with that expertise.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 02:59 PM

Thank you for the suggestions. VGMC originally planned that we would consider Wild Arms next, and we contacted Ms. Naruke while ago. However, due to the COVID-19 and current dismal perspective of performing arts, it is very difficult for us to consider "full-orchestral" album right now. So, VGMC will look for mid-sized to small-sized ensemble recording and appropriate repertoires for now.

A full orchestra, by the way, for us it means about over 60 musicians (two-wind and up).
A mid-sized orchestra, for us it means about 25-40 musicians (one-wind system), and this is a very common size for video game music recording in Japan, by the way.
Though, I,personally don't like it, it is very common to call "full orchestra" for about 35-45 people here in Japan (at least in studio).
Old Sep 19, 2020, 09:00 AM
Trusted Editor

Damn, and here I was ready to kill for a fully orchestrated version of WA3's Flying in the Midst of the Storm with choir, and all the shenanigans you could come up with.