VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Apr 27, 2009, 03:17 PM

So if I'm reading this right, Toru Minegishi composed songs on Disc 1 (tracks #36 & 52) & on Disc 2 (track #7)?

And Koji Kondo did the rest of them or did he work on those three as well? Sorry it's hard to tell.
Old May 7, 2009, 02:00 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Minegishi did those three tracks, and Kondo did the rest. I've clarified that.

What's up with the Shinji Yoshimura credit? I'm curious about what was actually performed on this album. I have the U.S. release of this album, and he's not given anywhere.
Old May 13, 2010, 01:20 PM

Can anyone possibly produce better scans for this album?
Old Dec 11, 2010, 05:47 AM

Last edited by Prime Blue; Mar 31, 2012 at 09:28 AM.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 02:46 AM

I like the new revision, however I think there should be an alternate one using the english naming of places/people from the game.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 07:57 AM

Last edited by Prime Blue; Mar 31, 2012 at 09:27 AM.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 11:47 AM

You are right, my mistake. when I searched I must have skimmed over the US release. Never mind my comment.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 08:48 AM
VGMdb Advisor

I like the revision of the Stone Tower temple track titles. "Inside" and "Outside" was just plain wrong.

Although, I do not like that you replaced Majora with Mujura
Old Dec 19, 2010, 11:59 AM

Old Dec 20, 2010, 05:46 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime Blue View Post
Again, the U.S. release comes to mind.
About that.. I'm confused. The US print that has the same catalog number clearly has "Majora" everywhere on the Case Interior scan. Maybe you're talking about another US print?
Old Dec 20, 2010, 09:36 AM

Old Mar 14, 2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHz View Post
Minegishi did those three tracks, and Kondo did the rest. I've clarified that.

What's up with the Shinji Yoshimura credit? I'm curious about what was actually performed on this album. I have the U.S. release of this album, and he's not given anywhere.
He did the Goron voices... specifically the "singing" on "Get Goron Lullaby".

I read this in an interview SOMEWHERE... just tried to google it and no dice.

Last edited by Kenology; Mar 14, 2011 at 08:21 PM.
Old May 13, 2011, 08:32 PM
VGMdb Advisor

There's another version of this catalog number, that has only the Pioneer imprint on it (while some has Geneon imprints).
Should we make another entry for it?

Old May 13, 2011, 09:32 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Sure, if you can find some decent scans (it will be the new parent entry). Also, that case is in pretty bad shape =o
Old Nov 29, 2011, 11:16 PM
VGMdb Advisor

I've been working on a Romaji tracklist, but I'm still not sure about some of the titles. I could use some clarification:

1-07,21: O-menya / Matoateya <- is it supposed to have a dash or an apostrophe in front of "ya"? I've seen some sites romanize "お面屋" as "O-men'ya". But "bookshop" (honya) and "department store" (matsuya) for example, aren't spelled that way, so I'm a bit confused...

1-08,13,19: Clock Town X Nichi me <- Is this correct, or is the proper spelling with/without dashes/spaces? Also, maybe it would be better to spell out the numbers instead, for a better presentation? (But that would be less accurate, in my opinion)

1-24: Shūmatsu <- I'm not sure this is correct. This Wiktionary entry says "週末" (first kanji is different) can (also) be pronounced as "Shūmatsu" and means "weekend", which is obviously not the case in the game.

1-38: 宝箱 <- Takarabako or Takarahako? Once again I looked it up on Wiktionary, and the entry for 箱 doesn't list a reading for "bako". But maybe this can change when suffixed? Also, I did quite a few searches on Google, and Takarabako seems to get many more results than Takarahako, so it might be right.

1-48,49: [...大翼...] <- Is "Dai Tsubasa" correct?

2-34: Orgel House <- "オルゴール" accurately translates to Orgel, but in general it's translated to "Music Box". I think, for accuracy, we should actually use "Orgel House".

2-45: Kyojin 4-nin Shūgō <- This really sounds, and looks weird. I'm still a bit unsure about the "4-nin" part, but the rest should be accurate. Once again I think translating the numbers may look better.

Oh and I still think our English translations of 2-43 and 2-44 could be more accurate. "Top" and "Bottom" is better, I think. "Normal" isn't even a proper reading of "表".

Last edited by Nisto; Nov 29, 2011 at 11:18 PM.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 03:43 AM

Wow, yet another for this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisto View Post
Oh and I still think our English translations of 2-43 and 2-44 could be more accurate. "Top" and "Bottom" is better, I think. "Normal" isn't even a proper reading of "表".
Can't "裏" be interpreted as "reverse"? "Reversed" makes sense, too if we follow the game.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 03:59 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoZeke View Post
Can't "裏" be interpreted as "reverse"? "Reversed" makes sense, too if we follow the game.
It can.

EDIT: The kanji at question here is actually 表 anyway.

Last edited by Nisto; Nov 30, 2011 at 04:02 AM.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 04:07 AM

Obverse..?
Old Nov 30, 2011, 06:18 AM
VGMdb Advisor

- 1.07: the apostrophe is for clarity (n+vocal). "Honya" should be pronounced "hon-ya" rather than "ho-nya", it may be written "hon'ya".
Matsuya has no such problem, but since the "ya" is a suffix of sorts you may see "matsu-ya", "hon-ya" too.

- 1-08,13,19: due to various spelling/suffix rules, I think these are usually "ichinichime", "futsukame" and "mikkame", that may be easier to understand than "1-nichime" "2-kame", "3-kame".

- 1-24: them Japanese have a crazy number of homonyms, it's very normal different words are pronounced the same.

- 1-38: Takarabako normally, some letters may change (h>b/p, s>z..) when suffixed.

- 1-48,49: maybe "ooyoku" but unsure.

- 2-39: since you are romanizing, Orgel is fine (orgel is what the Japanese call a music box, if you will).

- 2-45: 4-nin could be yonnin.

表/裏 more or less mean "front/back", "obverse/reverse", etc ~two opposites (figuratively or literally).
ie.- that temple is "表" normally, when different/upside-down is "裏".
I think "normal/alternate" would work well, because the connection of temple "reversed=upside-down" isn't implied (and top/botton are no good imo because they imply position).
(for example, in fighting games alternate/EX versions of a character X may be called "裏X")
Old Nov 30, 2011, 06:37 AM

In my first post I was going to suggest "Front" and "Back", but didn't make the suggestion because both didn't seem appropriate, but "Normal" and "Alternate" do to fit more, and therefore sound the most appropriate.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 07:21 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag View Post
- 1-08,13,19: due to various spelling/suffix rules, I think these are usually "ichinichime", "futsukame" and "mikkame", that may be easier to understand than "1-nichime" "2-kame", "3-kame".
I wonder why only 1-08 is suffixed with nichime. Can you please explain, or link to a reference?

Quote:
- 1-48,49: maybe "ooyoku" but unsure.
CHz suggested the prefix "oo", too. However, he did not change the suffix. Any specific reason why you think it's "yoku"? I don't find many sources that translate it as "wing".

Quote:
- 2-45: 4-nin could be yonnin.
I talked to CHz, and he said "yonnin" is actually supposed to be "yonin". Is he correct, or did you make a mistake as well (CHz did at first, too)? I used Google as usual, and it seems like "yonin" is at least used more frequently.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 07:55 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Yonin / Yonnin, could be either way: http://www.guidetojapanese.org/forum...pic.php?id=596
Old Dec 1, 2011, 07:53 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
I wonder why only 1-08 is suffixed with nichime. Can you please explain, or link to a reference?
Quote:
CHz suggested the prefix "oo", too. However, he did not change the suffix. Any specific reason why you think it's "yoku"? I don't find many sources that translate it as "wing".
"Oo-tsubasa" could be correct, and possibly "dai-yoku". Not oo-yoku though, got them readings mixed up.

It's a bit long to explain (more here), and I'm no linguist, but the short story is kanji have one (or more!) readings when alone ('japanese reading'/kun-yomi), and others when mixed ('chinese reading'/on-yomi).
> 'Alone': Aの翼=A no tsubasa, 赤い翼 > akai tsubasa
> 'Mixed': AのX翼=A no X+yoku, 片翼の天使 > katayoku no tenshi
Typically with 大, 'alone'=oo, 'mixed'=dai

Mixed kanji may still use 'alone' readings (oo-tsubasa), but it's less common. 'Alone'+'mixed' (oo-yoku) is quite uncommon though (but not impossible).

The reading rules and exceptions are complex but you get the idea.
For X日目 the problem here is that (I think) it's one of those exceptions. Some numbers are "X+nichi+me" while others "X+ka/kka+me". Dunno why exactly I'm afraid.

Since AFAIK 大翼 isn't an actual word, we can only guess the reading.

Quote:
I talked to CHz, and he said "yonnin" is actually supposed to be "yonin". Is he correct, or did you make a mistake as well (CHz did at first, too)? I used Google as usual, and it seems like "yonin" is at least used more frequently.
Like Blah posted, seems both are used. Maybe yonin is more conversational?
Old Dec 1, 2011, 06:46 PM
VGMdb Advisor

It actually seems like yoku is a bit more specific than just "wings", so I'm going with tsubasa, I think.

I actually found a reading of this exact compound on YESASIA (click the English information-tab), and they've romanized it as "ootsubasa" !!
But ofcourse, online shops aren't always accurate...

Edit: The full tracklist is posted now.

On another note...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigablah View Post
Sure, if you can find some decent scans (it will be the new parent entry).
Since the scans we have up now is actually of the Pioneer imprint, we could use those for it, and I could probably scan my copy (Geneon) at some point. That is, assuming it still applies (having two different entries for different imprints, I mean)

Last edited by Nisto; Dec 1, 2011 at 08:34 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 11:42 PM

Should the English Localized version not use the tracklist from this version?
http://vgmdb.net/album/13323
Old Jan 27, 2012, 06:11 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearin View Post
Should the English Localized version not use the tracklist from this version?
http://vgmdb.net/album/13323
It probably should, since that is effectively an official localization.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:12 PM
VGMdb Advisor

The front cover Zhelkus uploaded here is mine (in lower quality). And it's actually from the Geneon print, so it shouldn't be used for this entry... especially because it's not the same size as the other scans here.

EDIT: I've removed it now.

Last edited by Nisto; Apr 20, 2012 at 01:40 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:33 PM
Trusted Editor

whoops...

I replace the "English" tracklist with the "English (Literal)" one. I didn't see this until after I submitted.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:38 PM
VGMdb Advisor

I reverted it to the latest cached tracklist from Google.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 11:58 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoZeke View Post
On Majora's Mask 3D, the variations are translated as "FRONT" and "REVERSE" (audio file names). I'm thinking this prompts a change, will wait and see what everyone else thinks though.